04 LJK Repair, Redo, Recycle - The 3 R's of a First Build

it is fugly as hell but it does what it has to, thankfully i got a good line vs the drag and it's nearly invisible directly behind it. but if 1 stuck their head into my wheel well and looked across i'm gonna have to answer to WTF.
Thats what my previous trackbar was, 2 bends and a FUGLY ass gusset. I happily tossed that in the garbage and i do love the straight clean TB.

Reactions: someguysjeep
For me the flat pitman was only benefit, i'm forward about 1" from stock. If you make the pitman arm long it will hit the frame, Toximus notched his frame i believe. I build a telescoping pitman arm to adjust the length such that i could match the max turning radius with my axle UJ's. My flat pitman does not hit the frame. If one needs more turning radius, you and I already know the answer.... cutting brakes! :)
No one on the face of this fucking planet needs more turning radius. A few could use a smaller one though.

That and your cutting brake answer- When your only tool is a hammer, every solution is a nail.

For me the flat pitman was only benefit, i'm forward about 1" from stock. If you make the pitman arm long it will hit the frame, Toximus notched his frame i believe. I build a telescoping pitman arm to adjust the length such that i could match the max turning radius with my axle UJ's. My flat pitman does not hit the frame. If one needs A TIGHTER turning radius, you and I already know the answer.... cutting brakes!

Fixed it for me.

that's my drive for all this transfer case BS, the stretches effect on my turning radius. i'd love to have a screwdriver and wrench in my box.

No one on the face of this fucking planet needs more turning radius. A few could use a smaller one though.

That and your cutting brake answer- When your only tool is a hammer, every solution is a nail.
Correct again, of course.

Once you max out the UJ's isn't the only option RCV's in order to gain tighter turning radius (Greater knuckle turning angle).

that's my drive for all this transfer case BS, the stretches effect on my turning radius. i'd love to have a screwdriver and wrench in my box.
That's precisely why i keep a full set of metric vise-grips in my toolbox.

Our old '63 GMC 1 ton would turn on a dime - I'll swear the front wheels turned darn close to 90 degrees! Then my dad bought a '78 Chevy 1 ton. Despite having a slightly shorter wheelbase, "Give me 100 acres and I'll turn this rig around." Drove him nuts, the darn front wheels hardly cranked over at all by comparison.

Reactions: B00mb00m
For me the flat pitman was only benefit, i'm forward about 1" from stock. If you make the pitman arm long it will hit the frame, Toximus notched his frame i believe. I build a telescoping pitman arm to adjust the length such that i could match the max turning radius with my axle UJ's. My flat pitman does not hit the frame. If one needs A TIGHTER turning radius, you and I already know the answer.... cutting brakes!

Fixed it for me.
i was long and it wanted into the frame just a bit, but after talkin to Blaine it ended up with a shorter hole spread that times end of gear travel to knuckle stop peg being simultaneous (IIRC).

We don't use anything with a 3/4" thread. Our rod ends have a 7/8-14 and our tie rod ends have 7/8-18. Well, that and without a lathe or some other special stuff I don't want to deal with, tapping tube is not as much fun as it should be.

I can send out a tube to get tapped or I can weld a bung in and get done in a day roughing in all the links.
When building a track bar, do you use a heim style rod end on both ends? Or a JJ flex style joint on the frame side mount with a rod end on the axle? or something completely different that I am missing?

Very high quality rod ends. FK HD F1 fit.
This is a big difference. I ran the Metal Cloak spherical rod end and it went to shit right quick, mind you I also had bump steer but the FK ones you spec have lasted 3 years of hard wheeling no slop, no squeaks.

When building a track bar, do you use a heim style rod end on both ends? Or a JJ flex style joint on the frame side mount with a rod end on the axle? or something completely different that I am missing?
I always had shimmy and shakes and tried the multiple versions of clevite + rodend, rodend + rodend, JJ + rodend. In the end, balljoints and bumpsteer were the main culprits. When I have good geometry i don't have any problem running rodend trackbars.

Reactions: Wildman
kinda depends on design of the rod as well. i run a heim type joint on 1 end but a solid bushed joint for the upper or it'll flop around because of the offset,
but i also don't have the factory chunk on the frame to deal with either and use a DS mount.

kinda depends on design of the rod as well. i run a heim type joint on 1 end but a solid bushed joint for the upper or it'll flop around because of the offset,
but i also don't have the factory chunk on the frame to deal with either and use a DS mount.
When I have to do a bent trackbar, I use the same rod ends and bush one side with washers cut from a semi truck mudflap. Stops the flop, same wear.

Same one I'm now running also. I drilled it at 5.5" which was what I'd thought I'd read was the TJ spread. I also have a Wagoneer pitman that is 7" spread and drops about an 1". It hits the tie rod.

I had to under the pitman at first but figured out I needed to flip it to the top.
20211228_161443.jpg

20211229_111648.jpg

20211230_165758.jpg

Here is the Waggy arm.

20220116_133325.jpg