06 LJ help with suspension setup

Jeff 71

Hello Everyone
So I caught the Jeep bug earlier in the year with an 01 TJ and now have an 06 LJ.
I am trying to figure out the correct path for the suspension.
My goal is mostly trail/rock climbing ability but still need to drive around town if needed.

Dana 30/186MM Front Axle
3.73 Rear Axle Ratio
Heavy Duty Dana 44 Rear Axle
Trac-Lok Differential Rear Axle

I believe it has a 3” lift already but don’t know what brand or how old.

I need to kill the rust underneath.

What would you guys recommend as a good setup?

7969A8AA-E427-4EDF-9545-18AB14ED7376.jpeg

0634BECD-EE17-4F91-902F-648CF19AC107.jpeg

CB4F45D9-3086-4BED-8F16-444CC5F7E11D.jpeg

84275006-8848-45DD-8116-4DAE700C8D4C.jpeg

Reactions: Steel City 06
Ok, well you will need to replace the shocks, get gears that are appropriate to the tire size...and control arms that will not rip off the frame and axle mounts. I am not a savvy fan like a lot of the other members on here are, I went with custom control arms and Synergy DDB bushings made by Core 4X4, I splurged for Fox 12" stroke shocks that I will eventually get installed, but for now I am running the Rancho RS5000x. You can measure the spring height to determine the lift. If you want the ultimate off road machine, install a body lift and a tummy tuck. Good luck, Tim

Reactions: Jeff 71
What's wrong with it now in your opinion? That'll help figure out what to do first. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Those tires are pretty good, just drive it and see what problems pop up. It'll give you plenty of things to spend money on all by itself.

Agreed. Run it. See what you like and don't like. The springs may be fine for you. Or not. You won't know until you hit a few trails similar to what you want it for. A bit of expo can save a lot of cash.

I have been on a few easy trails and so far so good.

Control arms are also on the list.
But what’s the better brands with your experience?

The issues are the lack of power and at highway speeds it’s hard to keep 60mph-which is related to gears which I plan on changing over the winter.
4.56 with lockers

I was thinking of changing the lift this winter as well so that was the original question.
What is the best suspension solution for more difficult trails and rock climbs?
Should I change to a higher lift?
35” tires? That may change the gear ratio I was looking at.

I know more trail time is needed but just planning for the winter mod.

I’ve got a 4” lift on my LJ with standard 33s (so 31.5” on the tape) and I’ve just barely made it around without rubbing. PO installed a BDS lift- and I’m wishing they had installed adjustable control arms with it. I had to fight caster and pinion angle problems. I installed a Currie antirock and adjustable UCAs on the front and rear. Much better ride quality (on and off trail) and the wheels are centered under the fenders better.

I’ve been wanted to do a re-gear myself as I’m going to an actual 33 once my new wheels come in (October hopefully- I’m stuck in back order hell). There’s a great resource here for re-gear recommendations. Then go over to grimmjeeper if you have any concerns about speed/rpms.

Drive it and see what you would like it to do better. When an issue arrives upgrade the needed pieces. Wheel it a while to decide what size tires you would eventually like to run. That way you won’t have to regear twice. If you are headed towards 35” tires the Dana 30 will require some additional upgrades beyond a regear.
Drive it, find out what you need it to do better, then upgrades the components that will help to achieve those goals.

First decide if you want to go to 35's. If you do then plan to spend some $ to do it. 33's can be run much cheaper as you can fit them with a 2.5" suspension lift and a 1.25" body lift.
I would stick with the stock control arms until you really decide where you want to go with your build and change them only if necessary. They may look flimsy but they are a very ingenious design and flex better than most aftermarket arms. Also in the event you damage one they are cheap and easy to replace.

Last edited:
I would stick with the stock control arms until you really decide where you want to go with your build and change them only if necessary.

I do agree with this- don't worry about the control arms unless you want to get a bigger lift. The old folks who previously owned this one just drove it around the beach and wanted to look cool I guess. It worked but wasn't "right." I however like to get weird and wanted something more heavy duty and proper alignment.

Now for rust, Rust Bullet Metal Blast is killer stuff. WEAR A RESPIRATOR. Sand, use that duplicolor rust transformer stuff and undercoat the thing. It'll look good as new. The beach isn't as bad as the north but still worse than the red clay here.

I’ve got a 4” lift on my LJ with standard 33s (so 31.5” on the tape) and I’ve just barely made it around without rubbing. PO installed a BDS lift- and I’m wishing they had installed adjustable control arms with it. I had to fight caster and pinion angle problems. I installed a Currie antirock and adjustable UCAs on the front and rear. Much better ride quality (on and off trail) and the wheels are centered under the fenders better.

I’ve been wanted to do a re-gear myself as I’m going to an actual 33 once my new wheels come in (October hopefully- I’m stuck in back order hell). There’s a great resource here for re-gear recommendations. Then go over to grimmjeeper if you have any concerns about speed/rpms.
How did upper control arms make for better ride quality? 🤔 Or are you referring to the anti rock? Steering improve I can understand. 🤓Not a dig. Real question. Planning on both soon-ish. If only 1, which 1?🧐

Interesting find this morning.
I was told it had a 2 or 3” lift but when I measure the springs and do the math it’s actually a 4” lift.
16 in the from and 12 in the back.

So, I’ve been looking at Rancho 5000 shocks and they come in a 3-4” lift or 4-5” lift would it be better to go with the 4-5” lift setup?

I also found this in the forum about making your own quick release from stock. Has anyone actually done this with success?

CC1B0274-EF54-4DE1-A7CA-99085347554F.png

How did upper control arms make for better ride quality? 🤔 Or are you referring to the anti rock? Steering improve I can understand. 🤓Not a dig. Real question. Planning on both soon-ish. If only 1, which 1?🧐

The antirock smoothed everything out, better steering and cornering. Not as rigid on rough dirt roads, feels almost like a progressive sway bar if that makes sense. Seems to do a good job at picking the body up when the terrain gets wonky. That was the big improvement, worth the money I think. The control arms and an adjustable track bar were done a couple of weeks after the antirock, and we did the alignment then as well. The alignment just made it drive better, or at least it felt like it did. It feels like it plants in the corner now instead of just letting the body roll around. I mean it may be all in my head, but I know we couldn't get the alignment right until after the adjustable UCA's went on. 🙃

If only one, the antirock. The UCA's were more of me being a perfectionist.

So the anti rock reduced body roll in a corner? Over the stock bar? I would have thought just the opposite. What hole are you running the axle side in? These might have to be moved up on the to do list!

All the Antirock did was smooth out the sharpness of the side to side impacts fun the road. Body roll necessarily had to increase for this to happen.

Hit the trails yesterday and it became immediately known to have disconnects.
The other was not having lockers.
I may have to get that done along with the Currie but until then I did put the disco’s on it today.

Hit the trails yesterday and it became immediately known to have disconnects.
The other was not having lockers.
I may have to get that done along with the Currie but until then I did put the disco’s on it today.

There’s a Dirt Everyday episode where they figure out lockers are better than pretty much anything else you can do.
Looking back, spending a little more for a Rubi makes more sense knowing how much lockers cost haha.

I wasn't really looking for a Rubicon at first, but did a bit of math and quickly realized paying extra for it now would save many thousands of dollars down the road. Really just stumbled on the one I got. Extremely happy I did. Won't take much rain here to make all the clay soil turn into slick snot.