06 Wrangler Unlimited - Tire Advice?

BJammin

Hey everyone,
I have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I really need new tires, and I want to get larger offroad/road (hybrid?) tires. I am not very knowlagable on tire sizes or where to buy them from. The jeep is on factory suspension, no lift kit, 15 inch rims.. what would be some good advice as to the best size/type of tires that would fit without rubbing issues? Any advice toward what tires I should be looking at would be greatly appreciated.

31x10.5 tires on your stock wheels. Good tire reccomendations that are decent off road, look aggressive yet have good road manners include:

1. Goodyear Duratracs (@Chris personal favorite and what I have on my jeep as well).
2. Goodyear authority (Walmart only tire,@Ahoragi swears by them)
3. BF Goodrich all terrain KO2 (@StG58 favorite)
4. Cooper ST Maxx
5. General grabber AT 2

Any of these tires shold suit your needs. I would be happy to use any of these tires on my jeep. It'll depend on budget, availability and what "look" you like.

Reactions: Chris and Rob5589
I bought my Duratracs from Americas tire (known as discount tires in the Midwest). Wait until Memorial Day weekend and you Should be able to get good rebates from good year and discount tire.

Reactions: Rob5589
31x10.5 tires on your stock wheels. Good tire reccomendations that are decent off road, look aggressive yet have good road manners include:

1. Goodyear Duratracs (@Chris personal favorite and what I have on my jeep as well).
2. Goodyear authority (Walmart only tire,@Ahoragi swears by them)
3. BF Goodrich all terrain KO2 (@StG58 favorite)
4. Cooper ST Maxx
5. General grabber AT 2

Any of these tires shold suit your needs. I would be happy to use any of these tires on my jeep. It'll depend on budget, availability and what "look" you like.

Couldn't have said it better. Any of these tires will be excellent. I'm a huge Duratrac fan as everyone knows (and makes fun of me for :p)

I personally does not recommend GY tires to no one and Please does not buy them on Waltmart. I'm BF Goodrich lifelong guy but has experience with other tire brands as well. @UpperMI point the top choice options, I will go 3,5,4,1,2 order. My solid recommendation get a Load C range tires and get it from am Authorized dealer so you get the quality you paying for, Your Wrangler will appreciated.
I do run KO2 33x10.5r15 on the Sport 98 but looking to get 31x10.5 for the Unlimited Project, I will be looking at others as well but GY.
Tires are quality tested and graded before leaves the tire plant, (OEM, replacement 2, 3, Scrap) i Ex. Off road tires are not the exception, they may not go to OEM (yet) but are graded, as well the best ones not been sold at Walmart.

Hint*
Tires must have the country has been made stamped by DOT regulations. Always do your best to ask dealer to provide the USA made ones. All this 5 brands mention above has tire plans on USA and built the product on our land.

I personally does not recommend GY tires to no one and Please does not buy them on Waltmart. I'm BF Goodrich lifelong guy but has experience with other tire brands as well.
This sounds like a Ford vs. Chevy thing. I'll just pass along my experiences on BFG vs. Goodyear.

I ran BFG's All Terrain then Mud Terrain tires and in the often sharp rocks I wheel in, my BFGs didn't hold up. Their sidewalls were regularly cut & punctured. The ONLY BFG I'd run on the rocks is the BFG Krawler (which is extremely expensive) which is up to what I enjoy, but the standard BFGs simply were not. I have been running the kevlar reinforced Goodyear MT/R for 8+ years now and it is the first tire I have owned that has had ZERO problems. No cuts, no punctures, never any sidewall damage. It's the first absolutely perfect problem-free tire I've ever owned in 50+ years of driving and 20+ years of wheeling my TJs on some often very (!!!) tough rock crawling trails.

In fact, the kevlar-reinforced Goodyear MT/R is one of the most popular tires for extreme-level rock crawling. It holds up and resists damage far better than most other comparable tires.

I doubt you see this level of trail there in Ohio. And while few see this level of trail, it just shows that if Goodyear can hold up here, it will hold up anywhere.

20140111_093734smaller.jpg
Twisted-Cropped.jpg
Wallpaper-smaller.jpg

BJammin, the above advice to go with a 31x10.50 Load Range C tire is right on. Many of the metric size tires, even when roughly equivalent to the 31x10.50 size, are often Load Range D or E which is too stiff for the TJ.

Last edited:
This sounds like a Ford vs. Chevy thing. I'll just pass along my experiences on BFG vs. Goodyear.

I ran BFG's All Terrain then Mud Terrain tires and in the often sharp rocks I wheel in, my BFGs didn't hold up. Their sidewalls were regularly cut & punctured. The ONLY BFG I'd run on the rocks is the BFG Krawler (which is extremely expensive) which is up to what I enjoy, but the standard BFGs simply were not. I have been running the kevlar reinforced Goodyear MT/R for 8+ years now and it is the first tire I have owned that has had ZERO problems. No cuts, no punctures, never any sidewall damage. It's the first absolutely perfect problem-free tire I've ever owned in 50+ years of driving and 20+ years of wheeling my TJs on some often very (!!!) tough rock crawling trails.

In fact, the kevlar-reinforced Goodyear MT/R is one of the most popular tires for extreme-level rock crawling. It holds up and resists damage far better than most other comparable tires.

I doubt you see this level of trail there in Ohio. And while few see this level of trail, it just shows that if Goodyear can hold up here, it will hold up anywhere.

View attachment 13589 View attachment 13590 View attachment 13591

BJammin, the above advice to go with a 31x10.50 Load Range C tire is right on. Many of the metric size tires, even when roughly equivalent to the 31x10.50 size, are often Load Range D or E which is too stiff for the TJ.

You must like Goodyear judging by those hood decals!

Seriously though, I'm in the same boat. While I run the Goodyear Duratracs for what I do, I absolutely love those tires (everyone here knows that). Truly an excellent AT tire.

Exact tire I am running. Go through cactus, rocks, mud, sand, et al, no problem, except a little more pricey!

Hey everyone,
I have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I really need new tires, and I want to get larger offroad/road (hybrid?) tires. I am not very knowlagable on tire sizes or where to buy them from. The jeep is on factory suspension, no lift kit, 15 inch rims.. what would be some good advice as to the best size/type of tires that would fit without rubbing issues? Any advice toward what tires I should be looking at would be greatly appreciated.
I have Duratracs on my '04 Unlimited and have been very happy with them. They've been perfect for the limited off roading I do and also really good on the highway too. I made a 3 day 700 mi. lousy weather round trip in February (lots of snow & ice, backroads, etc.) and they were great.

I have 265/75/16's (31.7") on my LJ with a 2" lift and have no rubbing issues. I normally run 245/75/16's (also Duratracs) on my '03 TJ with no lift. I ran the larger set on my TJ for a few months and had no rubbing issues with that either. I'm guessing you would though if you push it off road. I have 245/75/16 Duratracs on my trailer ... good there too!

Last edited:
Reactions: UpperMI

@Jerry Bransford
As you by experience recommends MT/R and GY, I do also make my comments and recommendations based on experience. The last thing I do want is to miss guide anyone or start any controversy. My experience with GY tires never has been good as has been with BF Goodrich, Pirelli or Michelin tires. Very glad to meet fellas that has good results with this tires that we can share our experiences.
I do know BF Krawler and MT/R probably as good as you do, Did I use them as you do, no. This are tires intended to run over rock trails as you show on your picture and any other tire may not hold as well on that environment and if does it does not goes out without cuts, punctures or sidewall scratches and I do know this by experience very well. I do personally does not use a tire like this for on road very much.

On NE O-Hi I does not see those trails levels as you said but I'm not rookie to the rocks trails and damaging tires on it as I use to work on a quarry back on Puerto Rico when I was younger. Back then I no have a Jeep to use at work but my 87 XJ probably cry every time our leader jump on his CJ and ask us to join him have fun on the bottom of the quarry pit.

For a stockish jeep I think you'll have a hard time beating the BFG K/O series tires. I've ran the older versions on my truck and regret not buying them again. Long wearing, quiet, and balance well. If you play in mud you may want to go to a mud terrain tire though.

IMG_4739.JPG
On a bone stock unlimited I would think you should be able to run 31's no problem. Maybe a little taller if you have flat fenders in the front and higher fenders in the rear. My personal favorite right now is BFG K02's. They are aggressive yet not very noisy on the road. Gives the Jeep a really nice aggressive look without loosing highway comforts. We currently have a 2 inch suspension and 1 inch body on our Unlimited with 33X10.50 KO2's.

If you are planning on staying stock for the lift of the tires I would recommend 31x10.50x15. With this option you shouldn't need to modify anything and your tailgate will be just fine with the weight of the tire.

Reactions: JMT