1000+ Horsepower I6 Jeep Engine

Jezza

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Not sure who has all seen this yet, but very impressive numbers put up by Newcomer Racing. All done on a stock block and a blow thru carburetor.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not sure who has all seen this yet, but very impressive numbers put up by Newcomer Racing. All done on a stock block and a blow thru carburetor.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How in the world did you get the rest of the driveline to stay together?

Kind of joking and kind of serious—Those boys produce some axle breaking numbers

Kind of joking and kind of serious—Those boys produce some axle breaking numbers

The 6R80 transmission I run is known for holding 800-1000 hp in other applications stock. Built they can hold almost twice that. I also have the Atlas Pro-Series transfer case. 1350 driveshafts and a Dana 60 rear axle. I would like to think it's probably strong enough for 800 to 1k maybe...

Anybody can build a 1,000 HP engine. The trick is making it run for longer than a few minutes :LOL:

I think the block is plenty strong enough. The limits are going to be in the head and main caps. You can see in his video the head has been lifting as evident by the sh1t stains on the outside of the combustion chamber. Add that to the two bolt main caps that are most likely walking it won't last long in that configuration.

Reactions: Wildman
Anybody can build a 1,000 HP engine. The trick is making it run for longer than a few minutes :LOL:

giphy.gif

dang! Those are some serious numbers from any motor. First of all, I would just love to see my stock block run up to 6500 RPM. also, I have rocker envy -always wanted to try an increased ratio rocker …never done that just curious what the A to B difference would be With no other changes.

18psi on his daily that’s no slouch either…just little nuggets in this video and there is still some left to go higher with some more fuel…🍿

IMHO really no point in doing much more than stock configuration to the 4.0. With the intake right above the exhaust you're doomed to inefficiency.

Any money could be better put into the more supported LS platform...and most paths to success have been tested and discussed and documented.

Still nice seeing someone flog the 4.0 into 1000 HP.

I still think it would be cool to custom make a head that moved the intake to the other side.

-Mac

IMHO really no point in doing much more than stock configuration to the 4.0. With the intake right above the exhaust you're doomed to inefficiency.

Any money could be better put into the more supported LS platform...and most paths to success have been tested and discussed and documented.

I still think it would be cool to custom make a head that moved the intake to the other side.

-Mac

Yes but there are places where you can’t get an LS swap to pass inspection no matter how well it’s done

Last edited:

-Mac

Meh, I disagree. The head is inefficient yes, but boost fixes that quickly. You can make LS power with only a few pounds of boost. The price tag for that is a fraction of a swap.

-Mac

You can add 100+ hp & 100+ ft/lbs of tq by running 6psi of boost with an intercooler and bigger injectors (without needing to change your headers, throttle body, or driveline components).

Jezza’s turbo kit will do that as did the Banks kit. The mid range and upper range goes from feeling flat to a legit good time. There’s definitely a valid point to doing this.

And unless you do a v8 swap yourself, it’s likely going to cost around $20k which most folks don’t have available for adding power to their TJ.

Reactions: macleanflood

Don't the amc v8s share the bell pattern and crank flange with the 6's? An amc th400 could be built for some power...

Reactions: 707kevin
A project like this isn't something most any of us are going to do with our TJs although I'm sure the guys at Newcomer Racing will have a plenty suitable rig to install a high hp I6 into (like his DD XJ or the project Rambler race car I've heard about). I for one though am very happy for not only somebody out there pushing the known limits of what our engines can do in relatively stock form, but also sharing that info. It absolutely matters to a lot of people interested in much more mild engine builds knowing what is it isn't an issue at say, 500-600hp.

Knowing that the block would easily hold together at that level is pretty significant and not something a lot of engines of that era or later can claim. I've messed around with a lot of JDM I6s and while a JZ wouldn't think twice about that kind of power, you start pushing an RB much over 7-800hp in an awd chassis and they are known to start splitting the block in certain places. The venerable Ford 302 is known for splitting the block in the lifter gallery above 600'ish hp. Now a few dyno runs doesn't mean our beloved AMC I6 is bullet proof, but it provides some never before had data points.

And for anybody saying you "Why would you need more than 190hp in a TJ?" I say put down your purse for a minute, take off those heels, and go find a nice man to give you a ride in a fast car. If you still have to ask "Why more hp?" then you'll never understand. 😆

A project like this isn't something most any of us are going to do with our TJs although I'm sure the guys at Newcomer Racing will have a plenty suitable rig to install a high hp I6 into (like his DD XJ or the project Rambler race car I've heard about). I for one though am very happy for not only somebody out there pushing the known limits of what our engines can do in relatively stock form, but also sharing that info. It absolutely matters to a lot of people interested in much more mild engine builds knowing what is it isn't an issue at say, 500-600hp.

Knowing that the block would easily hold together at that level is pretty significant and not something a lot of engines of that era or later can claim. I've messed around with a lot of JDM I6s and while a JZ wouldn't think twice about that kind of power, you start pushing an RB much over 7-800hp in an awd chassis and they are known to start splitting the block in certain places. The venerable Ford 302 is known for splitting the block in the lifter gallery above 600'ish hp. Now a few dyno runs doesn't mean our beloved AMC I6 is bullet proof, but it provides some never before had data points.

And for anybody saying you "Why would you need more than 190hp in a TJ?" I say put down your purse for a minute, take off those heels, and go find a nice man to give you a ride in a fast car. If you still have to ask "Why more hp?" then you'll never understand. 😆

Definitely some good points here. While 1k hp in a Wrangler might be silly 500 might be fun. If the block is proven to 1k then 500 becomes less of a concern for reliability. Personally I think 300 was a nice spot to stop when I had the TJ. Just enough power to enjoy and still stay reliable. That being said I would like to be able to run my current setup around 600 turned up. Anyone who has had a modified boosted car will tell you after a while you get boost numb and want more. Having said that I can tell you in my experience 600 in a Jeep is enough and a handful. I tuned a few of Starwoods 7 liter supercharged JKs years back and they were scary to drive at WOT. Cars are a different story. 1k in an AWD car is fun. RWD is a handful at 1k but still manageable with the right setup. This is a car I tuned and drove about 10 years ago that was right at 1k. Manageable if you keep it under control, but it will get away from you with the quickness.

Anyone who has had a modified boosted car will tell you after a while you get boost numb and want more.
I can attest this is a legit condition. Medically diagnosable. My doctor tried prescribing bigger turbos and more boost, but those medications only had a temporary affect and I found I kept building a tolerance. Finally had to go cold turkey.

Hi, my name is Chris. I'm a boostaholic.

Oh, and Jezza, did you ever have the gumption to brake boost it in 4hi and full send launch it in the TJ? $20 for a vid with you burning all 4 off the line in the LJ 😎