cmahan

Hi everyone been needing some advice about a 1999 TJ 2.5l 4-cylinder 5 speed manual. It is completely stock and has over 400,000 miles on it and its probably time to rebuild or put a new/Used engine in it. This is gonna my do everything Vehicle. It will be my daily driver and I will regularly be taking it off road up into the mountains and deserts to camp, snowboard along with other shenanagans. What I need help deciding is should I have the original engine rebuilt or put a new/used one in and whats some approximate prices for each? and if i'm going to put a new engine in should I stick with the 4cylinder 2.5l or should I go with something else? Im fairly new to jeeps is there anything I should worry about beside the engine for a jeep with this many miles and are there any upgrades I should do right off the bat? I'm sorry, I know there are a lot of questions to unravel and each one could be a separate post. Any and all response are much appreciated. Thanks!!

Reactions: RINC
Lots of folks reporting good luck with Titan 2.4s.

I'm too impatient to wait six months to a year or more for a local shop.

That or do it yourself!

-Mac

Hi everyone been needing some advice about a 1999 TJ 2.5l 4-cylinder 5 speed manual. It is completely stock and has over 400,000 miles on it and its probably time to rebuild or put a new/Used engine in it. This is gonna my do everything Vehicle. It will be my daily driver and I will regularly be taking it off road up into the mountains and deserts to camp, snowboard along with other shenanagans. What I need help deciding is should I have the original engine rebuilt or put a new/used one in and whats some approximate prices for each? and if i'm going to put a new engine in should I stick with the 4cylinder 2.5l or should I go with something else? Im fairly new to jeeps is there anything I should worry about beside the engine for a jeep with this many miles and are there any upgrades I should do right off the bat? I'm sorry, I know there are a lot of questions to unravel and each one could be a separate post. Any and all response are much appreciated. Thanks!!

Welcome! And ... um .... 2.8R Cummins.
Tom Hanks Hello GIF

Reactions: 97TJNM
Holy cow, that's a lot of miles. You might want to consider just looking around for a new jeep, to be honest. With that kind of mileage you can probably expect to start having problems with your transmission sooner or later as well.

But if you're very attached to that jeep or love the condition of it otherwise, more power to you. In that case you should be checking and probably replacing all the control arm bushings (upper and lower, both ends, front and rear), tie rod ends, drag link or at least the ends/bushings, track bar, sway bar links and frame to mount bushings front and rear, ball joints, axle u joints, axle seals, brakes, shocks, and sway bar end links, and check your motor and transmission mounts as well as your body bushings.

Reactions: 97TJNM

I read that as you just purchased it. How many miles have you put on it?

I read that as you just purchased it. How many miles have you put on it?

I haven't put any on it. Its my Uncles car and he is giving it to me. As it sits now its needs an alternator and some work on the front end. Body and paint is pretty clean with a brand new soft top and a new clutch. I figured since i'm getting it cheap it may be worth it to put a new engine in and eventually rebuild the trans.

I haven't put any on it. Its my Uncles car and he is giving it to me. As it sits now its needs an alternator and some work on the front end. Body and paint is pretty clean with a brand new soft top and a new clutch. I figured since i'm getting it cheap it may be worth it to put a new engine in and eventually rebuild the trans.

In that case put some miles on it then decide how you want to spend your money.

Reactions: hear
Holy cow, that's a lot of miles. You might want to consider just looking around for a new jeep, to be honest. With that kind of mileage you can probably expect to start having problems with your transmission sooner or later as well.

I just wanted to specifically downvote this portion of your reply.