Aloha and welcome to the forum! @StG58 has all the info you will need on the 2.5. Short answer, no, there is nothing you can do to improve HP by any measureable amount. Keeping your rig light, 33" tires and smaller, and gear it accordingly, are the only ways to go with the 4 cyl.

Thanks guys, its got 156k on it having the trans rebuilt as we speak. right after the work started, someone post a 01 with no papers for parts. I'm considering buying it as I need to replace original rollcage as its rotted out at base near front seats, it also has a hard top, full doors and running 6cylinder and trans he's asking 2300, I think I may pull the trigger on it if still available talked to the guy 5days ago). Im not a mechanic, so I have to pay for some things and do the things I can do myself. I've been spending a lot of time looking at you-tube!
Thanks for the welcome...can't wait to get Jeep back from the shop!!!

Reactions: shadow26dpz
Reactions: StG58
daily driver for now as I get the feel for it, I will be using it on the sand and slowly build my experience to do other off roading. Frame and body great, having trans rebuilt now.
Here's are two good threads that @StG58 wrote that is all about the 2.5:
How can I get more performance out of my 2.5?
Four angry squirrels, or the TJ 2.5's and 2.4's

I encourage you to read this if you aren't that familiar with the 2.5.

However, being as though you're in Kauai (which I've visited many times), I think the 2.5 would be PERFECT for you! Not too much highway there.
thanks a lot Chris really appreciate the information I will definitely check out those posts

Reactions: Chris
No problem, there's a lot of guys here with 4 cylinder TJs. The general consensus is that they suck for long highway trips (especially if they're up hill). However, if most of the stuff you do is stop-and-go, off-roading, and mostly flat ground driving (meaning not going up lots of hills), then you'll be just fine.

I think the proper way to setup a 2.5 is to not go bigger than 31" tires and use the correct gear ratio. With that setup you should have a very capable TJ.

If you want to run huge tires (i.e. 33" or bigger), add lots of weight to it (i.e. heavy bumpers, winches, body armor, etc.), and do lots of highway driving, I wouldn't suggest getting a 4 cylinder TJ. I think all of us will agree on that.

Alright guys this my starting point...1997 2.5 automatic. Having trans rebuilt as we speak, top is is nice except all the threads falling out!
IMG_4030.JPG
IMG_4033.JPG

Reactions: Chris and StG58
Did someone use bedliner in the front of the hood, or is that a decal?

Either way, that looks like an excellent starting point. Kauai is such a gorgeous place. Last time we were there was 3 years ago.

What part of the island do you live on?

Reactions: Michael Buenconsejo
Did someone use bedliner in the front of the hood, or is that a decal?

Either way, that looks like an excellent starting point. Kauai is such a gorgeous place. Last time we were there was 3 years ago.

What part of the island do you live on?
I live in lihue...yeah weird not sure what the deal is with that, kinda flat black someone put a sticker over that later then took it off but the image is still there

Good looking starter Jeep brah! Did the front of the hood have some issues or something? Been 5 years since I've been to Kauai. Loved exploring Waimea Canyon. I could sit on the beach at Polihale State Park with a cooler of brew all day and play in the surf!

That is the end of a trail called "Top of the World", in Moab, Utah. It literally felt like the top of the world too. Hell of a drop!

Reactions: Chris