2000 Jeep TJ 318 5.2 Magnum Swap Build

I haven't updated in a while, so here we go.
I had been battling a vibration around 60-65 mph for a while. Even after installing the adjustable control arms, it was still there. This led me to believe that it was being caused by the ghetto hack n tap "sye" that was on the used transfer case I bought. It wasnt even a hack n tap kit, he had somehow just welded a random yoke on the shaft. It amazes me that people cheap out on something that already isnt that expensive. The guy as he was leaving, notified me that "I might get some vibes from it," but i figured I would at least give it a try. Junk. I bought a Rubicon Express SYE kit, installed it and put everything back together. While I was in there, i changed the transmission mount to an OEM one.
tcase.jpg

Poof, all vibrations disappeared like magic. I am glad I trusted my gut on that one. I also bedlined my skid plate, since I had been rolling around with it in its bare metal state for some time. Didnt want to destroy a perfect skid plate by leaving it like that.
plate.jpg

Then I decided to upgrade the junk battery terminals/ground wires/starter cable etc with some heavier duty 2 gauge wire (4 gauge for the alternator), and nice terminals. I didnt buy a kit due to the swap making things in different locations, I just bought everything off of amazon and cut the lengths myself. Here is the stock shiznit.
wires.jpg

Lastly a picture of the Jeep, I really need to get a set of good fenders, and a winch now.
jeep.jpg

i did actually. I got a set of Core4x4 "tier 2" adjustable rear upper control arms. The no bs lifetime warranty and customer service drew me to them. They worked fantastic!
Good deal. Glad you got it taken care of. I had a set lying around taking up space that I took off when I installed my Savvys.

Reactions: Whitetrash
Another update:
Decided to go back to the original look of the full doors. Luckily, I found a color matched set locally on craigslist, and picked them up. Then, stumbled across a tan hardtop on Facebook marketplace (which never shows up around here, like ever) so I felt the need to pick it up as well! It will be nice for the colder months here in Ohio. On the way to pick the top up, it was nice to have a 50 degree day in late Feb to ride with the top and doors off :)
I do truly love the look of a tan hardtop on a Forest Green Pearl TJ though...
side.jpg

front.jpg

Also installed my Smittybilt x2o 10k synthetic winch. For the price, with the warranty, I don't see how it can be beat. The winch is IP68 waterproof rated, which is nice, and i put a waterproof cover over it just to further protect it and the line from the elements.
winch.jpg

My MCE front and rear flares should be shipping out tomorrow, so I am eager to finally get those! :)

Like the tan top on the green Jeep also. Keep it going dude your rig is turning out looking GREAT.

Got around to installing my 3" MCE flat flares. (About time!) I had cut the fenders for these a while back, but didn't want to spend the $800 for front and rear. Luckily I saw them for half price on MCE's website, so I jumped on it. Fairly easy install, other than having to break apart the OEM hood latches since they were seized and just spinning. I ordered a new OEM set and everything went together great! Not to mention, in my opinion at least, they look amazing! I need to find a set of rocker guards now.
jeep1.jpg

jeep2.jpg

Next came the dreaded engine harness, that it seems like people fear. I will admit, in the beginning it was a bit overwhelming having wires all over the place, and 2 completely bare harnesses. but with the FSM's for both the TJ and the ZJ, it was extremely simple. Here is the way I did it:
Knowing that I am keeping the TJ a manual, I decided I would "blend" the wires I needed into the TJ harness. I depinned all 8 injector pins from the ZJ harness and pinned them into the TJ harness. Doing this would give me the correct lengths for the injectors on the engine. Then I went through every connector and cut/spliced what I needed to change from the ZJ harness to the TJ harness. There weren't many changes honestly. I made a small cheat sheet for myself if anyone else is interested in doing their own wiring that will make things simple.
Could look intimidating, but once everything was labeled, it was just more time consuming.

View attachment 115853
View attachment 115855

After about 12 hours (spread out over a weeks time), it was completed! A few small things to button up, and loom, but for the most part its done! No way in hell I would've paid someone to do something like that.
View attachment 115854
I am in the middle of this swap right now. I would very much be interested in the cheat sheet. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Ephry73
Re-read the whole thing. My TJ is originally same color as the OP's. The tan Hardtop just looks perfect. Was thinking of going stroker when the 4.0 kicks the bucket, but the 5.2 looks to be so at home in this build and love the air filter/cleaner solution as well.

Noticed that the "torque box" mounts in the center were rusted away, like they are on so many jeeps that deal with salt crap, so I ordered a set of patch panels from RustReparPatch. They fit perfectly! I highly recommend them. I cut out all the really rotted area, coated everything in Rust Bullet as a preventative measure, and then welded them in.

View attachment 115826
View attachment 115827
View attachment 115828
Once everything was welded in, I finished sanding and prepping the entire underbody of the tub, and painted it all. While I was at it, I installed a 1" RC body lift, since Advance Adapters recommends a 1" BL for the 318 swap in these Jeeps. Plus the old body mounts were trash anywho.
I bought those repair patches too. Worth the money

Reactions: Whitetrash