2000 TJ front axle nut removal problem

AaronPaul

TJ Enthusiast
Hey guys. So I removed the pin and when the pin came off the “cap” fell off too. Not sure what it’s called but you see the pic.

I’m trying to remove the axel nut so I can get to the U joint.
However when I put my 12 point 36mm socket on the nut (pic 2) the axel just spins when I try to loosen it.

How do I get this off?

Thank you all
24D5F908-04C9-45CC-AE19-48398D9C5FCE.jpeg

180C6452-8457-4570-815C-D1F67664151F.jpeg

Put the rotor and caliper back on with a couple of lugs. Have someone hold the brake and bust it loose.

Reactions: AaronPaul
You could also put it in 4WD to keep it from spinning while you loosen/tighten it. That’s what I did when I took my axle shaft out.

If the above doesn’t work or you don’t have an impact, shift in 4wd and set park brake, if an auto put in park or manual trans put in gear. This will stop front axles from turning.
You could also put it in 4WD to keep it from spinning while you loosen/tighten it. That’s what I did when I took my axle shaft out.
Is that safe for the 4wd system?

If the above doesn’t work or you don’t have an impact, shift in 4wd and set park brake, if an auto put in park or manual trans put in gear. This will stop front axles from turning.
Put it into 1st, 4wd high, e-brake on, damn thing still spins!! I'm lost

I put it into 4wd. It’s in 1st gear, parking brake on, still spins.
Now im lost
Okay well let me try that as the drivers side wheel is off. Thank you
Open carrier will allow one side to spin free. You can put wheels back on and lower to floor to prevent spinning or put a pry bar between lug studs using the floor to stop bar from turning. Put a couple lug nuts on to prevent damaging threads.

You can also remove the axle shaft and unit bearing hub together as an assembly by removing the three bolts that hold the unit bearing hub to the knuckle. Use a 12-pt. socket on its three bolt heads.

Open carrier will allow one side to spin free. You can put wheels back on and lower to floor to prevent spinning or put a pry bar between lug studs using the floor to stop bar from turning. Put a couple lug nuts on to prevent damaging threads.
Thank you very much

You can also remove the axle shaft and unit bearing hub together as an assembly by removing the three bolts that hold the unit bearing hub to the knuckle. Use a 12-pt. socket on its three bolt heads.
Jerry thank you for taking the time to write, you are clearly well respected on here so I appreciate it. The issue I am having is the 3 bolts the hold the knuckle are completely stripped. Another project for another day.

When I go to jack up the front to get the driver side tire back on the hub assembly is not perpendicular when I raise it high enough to put the wheel back on. I am jacking it up from the front diff, because if I use the axel shaft on the passengers side there is no coils or shocks to stop if from continuing to go up. Thus on the passenger side is being lifted.

I can jack it up enough from the pumpkin to get my drivers side wheel back on, BUT, the camber is off. Is this safe to lower this way? What are my options? Thank you.

I may have to try this. Thank you

Would it make better sense to put the passenger side tire back on (the side I am working on) and remove it that way. Maybe the camber wont be off?