2000 TJ Turn Signal Issues After LED Replacement

Jaimecarlson

Hello, first time here and I'm in need of some help. I recently got new LED headlights and taillights and it started hyper flashing right after. I was told by the shop that put them in that nothing could be done about it (obviously BS). After some googling and stalking facebook groups, I bought an EP26 flasher relay in the hopes of a quick fix. Eventually, I got the old one out and put the new one in, but when I did that my turn signals and hazards don't work. Once I discovered that I put the old one in again and the turn signals worked again, but its still hyper flashing. It seems to be that the only issue is the turn signals, as my headlights work perfectly fine with both. Has anyone else experienced this? Did I just get a dud? Or did I just mess it up somehow?

I have a 2001 and the LED headlights obviously don't effect the flashers. I put LED tail lights on and LED bulbs in the front turn signals. Tried both the EP26 and LM470 flasher modules. Neither would work correctly. I put the original bulbs back in the front turn signals and the LM470 works perfectly with the rear LED tail lights. No issues of any kind. (you can get a LM470 at most local parts stores). I may try to use load resistors on the front and retry the LED bulbs when I get a chance, but the tails were most important. The fronts and front side markers have a pretty unique grounding setup that causes issues. If you get 3 wire LEDs for the front, that may help, otherwise grounding and polarity of the LEDs can cause headaches.

No problem here with all leds....put in this flasher from amazon "Novita Lighting Control Module (LM470)

Thats the same one I have. It seems some Jeeps and some bulbs work fine and others don't. I imagine with all the different LEDs on the market and folks mixing and matching it's to be expected. Also I've heard of a specific year TJ working with one setup for one person, and not another with the same model year Jeep...go figure.

Yes cole, there are plenty of LED parking, turn signal and marker LED light/bulb options available. Best odds is to find a thread with some specific make/models and flasher module that have worked for someone and use the same setup.

Led flasher fixed my problem with led tail lights. But, I had no luck putting led bulbs in my front signals. The arrows on the dash would remain on at all times, and they would not flash right. Probably something I did, wrong bulb or something. Put the stock bulbs back in and forgot about it.

Hmmm, could be a taillight ground issue in that case. The headlights should have nothing to do with it at all, only the taillights.

Would that be an easy-ish fix? Or should I just learn to live with the obnoxious turn signals?

If you take the taillights off and inspect them, it should be relatively easy to fix, yes. Assuming it's a bad ground connection.

Also make sure that you aren't running taillight guards, as those are known to cause grounding issues.

If you take the taillights off and inspect them, it should be relatively easy to fix, yes. Assuming it's a bad ground connection.

Also make sure that you aren't running taillight guards, as those are known to cause grounding issues.

Definitely no tail light guards here. I will check the taillights tomorrow, but shouldn't it be weird since they're brand new?

Definitely no tail light guards here. I will check the taillights tomorrow, but shouldn't it be weird since they're brand new?

Yes, it would be weird, but I'm not sure what else it could be other than a bad ground in all honesty. Especially since you have the LED flasher relay.

Hello, first time here and I'm in need of some help. I recently got new LED headlights and taillights and it started hyper flashing right after. I was told by the shop that put them in that nothing could be done about it (obviously BS). After some googling and stalking facebook groups, I bought an EP26 flasher relay in the hopes of a quick fix. Eventually, I got the old one out and put the new one in, but when I did that my turn signals and hazards don't work. Once I discovered that I put the old one in again and the turn signals worked again, but its still hyper flashing. It seems to be that the only issue is the turn signals, as my headlights work perfectly fine with both. Has anyone else experienced this? Did I just get a dud? Or did I just mess it up somehow?
I Just put in new Led's on mine as well. it's Possible you might have a wire crossed. The reason I say that is because, Well, my setup is setup for when you use your turn signal light. the headlight and turn signal both will flash yellow. However the first time I installed mine I did get it wrong and had the same troubles it sounds like you're having. You had a shop install them and they told you that this was normal?

I Just put in new Led's on mine as well. it's Possible you might have a wire crossed. The reason I say that is because, Well, my setup is setup for when you use your turn signal light. the headlight and turn signal both will flash yellow. However the first time I installed mine I did get it wrong and had the same troubles it sounds like you're having. You had a shop install them and they told you that this was normal?

Yup! I took it into a place that I trusted 100%, but now I'm not so sure after they told me they couldn't do anything about it!

Do you have the 4 pin or 5 pin flasher relay?