2003 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 knock

Andrewcodd24

Hey guys so on my way home tonight about 5 miles from the house I hear quite a loud knock under the hood of my Jeep. I pressed on and made it home but it sounds like I have quite the knock in the head back by cylinder 5 and 6, the knock is quite loud at idle and loses its rhythm in high rpm and just sounds like metal to metal slapping. It’s a manual 5 spd too with 201,500 miles. I will try to attach a video.

Hey guys so on my way home tonight about 5 miles from the house I hear quite a loud knock under the hood of my Jeep. I pressed on and made it home but it sounds like I have quite the knock in the head back by cylinder 5 and 6, the knock is quite loud at idle and loses its rhythm in high rpm and just sounds like metal to metal slapping. It’s a manual 5 spd too with 201,500 miles. I will try to attach a video.

- don’t be too quick to get disheartened until you get a good diagnosis- can be a loose plug, etc-

Be thorough-

Start with checking your oil and you want to drain the oil and look for shavings, etc.

- don’t be too quick to get disheartened until you get a good diagnosis- can be a loose plug, etc-

Be thorough-

Start with checking your oil and you want to drain the oil and look for shavings, etc.

I actually just changed the oil yesterday, used the same stuff I use every time which is Mobil one 10w-30 synthetic.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndyG
So I drove the Jeep to work this morning and I think I have some more useful information, so while driving I noticed that the higher gear and more load I put on the engine the quieter it gets, so between first and second gear the knock is still there, quiets down a little in second but it’s still quite audible, however once I go to third and put load on the engine it gets quite quiet and then fourth and fifth with load the knock is non existent.

If you just changed the oil, I would start there. Damaged or incorrect or defective filter? I would not drive it again until after I changed the oil (oil filter at the minimum) again.

If you just changed the oil, I would start there. Damaged or incorrect or defective filter? I would not drive it again until after I changed the oil (oil filter at the minimum) again.

I’m going to change it when I get home, I’m going to go back to castrol.

I'd pull those rear plugs and get a bore scope in there...and if you have the oil drained you can stick the bore scope in the oil pan and maybe look up at your rods and bearings.

I got a cheap one off Amazon for like $30.

-Mac

I'd pull those rear plugs and get a bore scope in there...and if you have the oil drained you can stick the bore scope in the oil pan and maybe look up at your rods and bearings.

I got a cheap one off Amazon for like $30.

-Mac

Ok, I’m going to try changing the oil first, maybe I got a bad batch or bad filter, if that does not work I will stick my bore scope up in there and see what I see, it sounds like it’s in the valve train, but then again sounds travel and I haven’t brought out the stethoscope yet.

Reactions: macleanflood
Pull the plugs and see what you have for compression... Could be a number of things, none of which are good, piston skirt, rod, etc...

Does anyone have or know someone who has experience with titan motors looking at there website, all looks good, but it’s always nice to have some insurance before buying a 6 thousand dollar power plant.

Take a look at S and J engines.

Google wranglertjforum titan

Good way to mine the forums for info. The internal website search isn't great.

-Mac

Good way to mine the forums for info. The internal website search isn't great.

-Mac

Use the internal website GOOGLE search option... (click the "G" instead of search...)

1713965732124.png

Reactions: macleanflood
Does anyone have or know someone who has experience with titan motors looking at there website, all looks good, but it’s always nice to have some insurance before buying a 6 thousand dollar power plant.

I have not heard anything good about Titan. I got a stroker for mine from S&J out of Spokane, WA, and they can build the way you want with the parts you supply. I went with a pretty mild build, and so far after 5K miles it was been flawless.

https://www.sandjengines.com/product/2000~Jeep~TJ~1728

I think with a military discount with shipping I was in it for $3800-$3900ish, with shipping.