2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Pre-Purchase Questions

Gjeeper

Supporting Member
Guru(s),

I am new to the Jeep culture but this will be my first purchase on this brand. My purpose in buying this particular make/model is to experience the good old style(along with a budget not to exceed $12K) plus stick shift, 2dr as my preference and ultimately enjoy the open-top experience during summertime.

IDK completely about Jeep then I started reading quite a few forum pages here and it gave me a good start on what I should know and where I have to be aware of in the purchase.

I live in Ohio and found a jeep in the Texas area with 2 previous owners' history and from the photos and videos the condition looks immaculate I don't see any rust on the frame but I do see surface rust which isn't a major concern at this point. The current owner did confirm to me that there are no mechanical issue and it was serviced on time. However, I did notice the track bar and steering components might need replacement which the current owner agreed to replace.

But the current owner(3rd) did mention that when he bought the jeep from the previous owner(2nd) he didn't check the carfax report which has 166K miles reported but the dashboard says 133K which is like huge discrepancy but he did mention that to me later I shouldn't feel bad once I come down to Texas for purchase. I will do an inspection and also give it to a mechanic in one of the closest Jeep dealership for the mechanical side validation. I am planning to keep this Jeep as far as it goes and do the service on my own(will try to) and not thinking of selling it sooner. Should this mileage discrepancy be a concern or is there a way to crosscheck what's the actual mileage on this? Appreciate all your insight on this.

Thanks

Guru(s),

I am new to the Jeep culture but this will be my first purchase on this brand. My purpose in buying this particular make/model is to experience the good old style(along with a budget not to exceed $12K) plus stick shift, 2dr as my preference and ultimately enjoy the open-top experience during summertime.

IDK completely about Jeep then I started reading quite a few forum pages here and it gave me a good start on what I should know and where I have to be aware of in the purchase.

I live in Ohio and found a jeep in the Texas area with 2 previous owners' history and from the photos and videos the condition looks immaculate I don't see any rust on the frame but I do see surface rust which isn't a major concern at this point. The current owner did confirm to me that there are no mechanical issue and it was serviced on time. However, I did notice the track bar and steering components might need replacement which the current owner agreed to replace.

But the current owner(3rd) did mention that when he bought the jeep from the previous owner(2nd) he didn't check the carfax report which has 166K miles reported but the dashboard says 133K which is like huge discrepancy but he did mention that to me later I shouldn't feel bad once I come down to Texas for purchase. I will do an inspection and also give it to a mechanic in one of the closest Jeep dealership for the mechanical side validation. I am planning to keep this Jeep as far as it goes and do the service on my own(will try to) and not thinking of selling it sooner. Should this mileage discrepancy be a concern or is there a way to crosscheck what's the actual mileage on this? Appreciate all your insight on this.

Thanks

Could have had bigger tires on it but didn’t change the speedo gear.

Reactions: Cooper Smith
Looking at your profile, there is no such Jeep as a Rubicon Sport with a 2.4 four cylinder. Be careful because of the mileage discrepancy, this could be a rebuilt.

Reactions: Artsifrtsi
Could have had bigger tires on it but didn’t change the speedo gear.

Thanks for the quick response. I forgot to mention this Jeep was and is kept stock, not even a single after market mods.

Looking at your profile, there is no such Jeep as a Rubicon Sport with a 2.4 four cylinder. Be careful because of the mileage discrepancy, this could be a rebuilt.

Definitely not Rubicon Sport I think my copy paste habit ruined the profile :D will fix it.

Thanks for the quick response. I forgot to mention this Jeep was and is kept stock, not even a single after market mods.
Is swapping a lower mileage instrument cluster possible or is mileage display controlled by PCM?

Is swapping a lower mileage instrument cluster possible or is mileage display controlled by PCM?

You can swap the instrument cluster.

Not sure all this is anything to worry about. Get his TX Jeep checked out. Replace the cooling system, change fluids and plugs. G2G.

Rubicon will have #6 in the 6th character of the VIN. Also make sure the original axles, transfer case, and locker pumps are in place and fully functional. Do not rely on a mechanic to verify that the OEM Rubicon specific components are present on the rig.

Rubicon will have #6 in the 6th character of the VIN. Also make sure the original axles, transfer case, and locker pumps are in place and fully functional. Do not rely on a mechanic to verify that the OEM Rubicon specific components are present on the rig.

Sure thanks @Duck Doctor. I did verify the VIN# and the 6th character matches like you said and also asked for the pictures of the axle and TCase and a driving video with shifting from Hi to Lo and locking all seem to be OK virtually but yes will verify in-person as well.

Reactions: JMT
My biggest concern would be at that price that Jeep is going to be gone before you get there if it’s a real Rubicon

Last edited:
Has anyone seen this Rubicon badge mounted on the cover under a TJ Wrangler's steering wheel

1711568205316.png

I have seen these installed on a few ' Rubicon' claimed TJs here in the United Arab Emirates but the build sheets refer to Sahara - and wonder if there was an export variant?

Any information welcome

Has anyone seen this Rubicon badge mounted on the cover under a TJ Wrangler's steering wheel

View attachment 512894

I have seen these installed on a few ' Rubicon' claimed TJs here in the United Arab Emirates but the build sheets refer to Sahara - and wonder if there was an export variant?

Any information welcome

Could be a Rubicon Sahara edition... there have been a few, but I do not know if they have a plate like that...

EDIT:

Quick google search...

"As part of the alliance between Jeep and Paramount Pictures (i.e.: the movie “Sahara”), one thousand Limited Edition Wrangler Unlimited Sahara models were produced (2005). Based on the Jeep Unlimited Rubicon, the Limited Edition Sahara featured unique exterior and interior cues, including a chrome grill, accent colored fender flares, 30 in Moab wheels (that’s gotta be a typo Moab’s are 16”) with accent colors, exterior Sahara badges, and premium two tone seats. The Sahara was also fitted with tail lamp guards, a unique khaki colored spare tire cover and a serialized interior badge. The base MSRP for the Unlimited Sahara was $30,375"

Could be a Rubicon Sahara edition... there have been a few, but I do not know if they have a plate like that...

EDIT:

Quick google search...

"As part of the alliance between Jeep and Paramount Pictures (i.e.: the movie “Sahara”), one thousand Limited Edition Wrangler Unlimited Sahara models were produced (2005). Based on the Jeep Unlimited Rubicon, the Limited Edition Sahara featured unique exterior and interior cues, including a chrome grill, accent colored fender flares, 30 in Moab wheels (that’s gotta be a typo Moab’s are 16”) with accent colors, exterior Sahara badges, and premium two tone seats. The Sahara was also fitted with tail lamp guards, a unique khaki colored spare tire cover and a serialized interior badge. The base MSRP for the Unlimited Sahara was $30,375"

Thanks for sharing, note: LJs or Unlimited TJ's are rare here, with one authentic LJ Rubicon sold within hours of it being advertised. I know the local dealer had local editions, especially when they were driving promotional sales, so wonder if this was a local dealer version.

Most of the locally claimed Rubicon's don't appear to have the real Rubicon attributes - is this the same in the USA?

Perhaps a dealer add on, has a rear Dana 44 but not a front Dana 44 (it has a Dana 30) and note sure on transfer case, had a good look at this TJ this morning and compared the build sheet with the 2002 Dealer brochure and noted that the extras are also Sahara options for that year so defintely not a true Rubicon.

Most of the locally claimed Rubicon's don't appear to have the real Rubicon attributes - is this the same in the USA?

oh yes we have that here too ! i've seen everything from the extremely rare 1997 Rubicon and have seen many of the Limited Edition Rubicon SE's with the 4 cylinder (there were only a handful of these ever made) I really wonder how many people have bought a Jeep with a Rubicon decal on the hood only to find out it wasn't one ...