2004 Jeep TJ

ok got started on the rear bumper today
IMG_3950.JPG
IMG_3956 (1).JPG

Reactions: Chris
Need to make some frame to bumper reinforcement brackets that 1/8 inch sheet metal cross member is not going to work to hang the bumper on. If the body mounts did not go through it I would just cut it off and start fresh

Those are beefy. Do the centers go through the back plate, or did you face weld them?
Face Welde, I would like to recess them into bumper and have a direct attachment to the frame via a welded bolt plate ( which would allow for bumper removal ) and finish welding them to the bumper so they have 2 solid anchor points
1. welded to recess in the bumper (recess is for departure angle clearance)
2.weld plate bolted to frame

I have a little more design work to do for # 2

Last edited:
Face Welde, I would like to recess them into bumper and have a direct attachment to the frame via a welded bolt plate ( which would allow for bumper removal ) and finish welding them to the bumper so they have 2 solid anchor points
1. welded to recess in the bumper (recess is for departure angle clearance)
2.weld plate bolted to frame

I have a little more design work to do for # 2
Face welding a shackle mount is a bad approach. They can fail, especially in a side load. The proper way is to run the mount through the plate (whether attaching to the bumper or to a plate like you have there), and then welding the mount both to the inside and the outside of the plate. That approach creates a much better mechanical advantage.

The other issue here is the weld itself. On a thick piece of steel like that (I assume it’s an inch or better), it takes a hell of a big welder and a lot of amperage to get enough penetration. See how most of the weld looks like it is sitting on the plate, and not going up high on the mount? That’s a sure sign there is not much penetration on the mount. It looks beefy, but there is actually very little metal holding those two pieces together. A proper weld on that piece of thick steel would be much, much bigger.

it’s worth thinking about. I point it out mainly because if those things fail under load someone could really get hurt.

Great work otherwise. I’m looking forward to following your bumper build.

Face welding a shackle mount is a bad approach. They can fail, especially in a side load. The proper way is to run the mount through the plate (whether attaching to the bumper or to a plate like you have there), and then welding the mount both to the inside and the outside of the plate. That approach creates a much better mechanical advantage.

The other issue here is the weld itself. On a thick piece of steel like that (I assume it’s an inch or better), it takes a hell of a big welder and a lot of amperage to get enough penetration. See how most of the weld looks like it is sitting on the plate, and not going up high on the mount? That’s a sure sign there is not much penetration on the mount. It looks beefy, but there is actually very little metal holding those two pieces together. A proper weld on that piece of thick steel would be much, much bigger.

it’s worth thinking about. I point it out mainly because if those things fail under load someone could really get hurt.

Great work otherwise. I’m looking forward to following your bumper build.
Thanks for the heads up time for a do over

Not much to report, waiting on parts mostly, so I have been doing a lot of detail cleaning in the interior, I will post up some more good stuff as my parts come in.