2004 Rubicon steering hopping and leaking reservoir

thatwhitetj

I have had a 2004 Rubicon for 2 years and have had no issues other than the normal.
Recently, my steering started to feel as if it was “hopping” in the steering wheel when going into a turn or coming out of a turn. This only happens while moving, and not while sitting idling. Its as if something is grabbing my steering links and holding them against what way I turn. As it started to get worse, I noticed my power steering reservoir leaking from what looks to be right out of the cap, (not out of any lines or the box), and it is starting to whine when I turn the wheel at a stop. I have ruled out the possibility of anything binding or getting caught by jacking the jeep up and turning the wheel while running.
I have a feeling my steering box is not circulating the fluid through as it should and is sending pressure back up into the reservoir, causing it to leak from the cap. Usually I am fairly good at diagnosing and fixing, but I can’t rule down to whether it’s a line, a pump, or my steering box, and I can’t afford to just replace it all with the recent purchase of a new home. I can fix when diagnosed, but again, can’t afford a garage to charge an hourly rate to diagnose the problem. Has anyone ever seen or heard of this before? This is my daily and I can’t have my power steering completely go while driving around for work, and I can tell it’s slowly getting to that point. Any input will help

Update: I stuck my head out in a turn, and the front wheels are actually wobbling pretty bad while in a turn. No issues driving straight.

Sounds like axle ujoints. Jack up the front axle. Turn the wheel one way. Spin each front tire. If the ujoint is binding it will try to straighten as the tires are spun.