2004 TJ cigarette lighter does not work

gargantuan

Hey everyone. I have a 2004 TJ that I am repairing from previous owner. the cigarette lighter worked when I got it albeit I had to jiggle my USB plug in the get it to maintain the power connection at first. Since it went out I haven't been able to get power through it. I've replaced all the fuses in the car literally and I replaced one of the old cigarette lighters with a new cigarette lighter and wired it up but still no power. So, where to check next? please help.

Hey everyone. I have a 2004 TJ that I am repairing from previous owner. the cigarette lighter worked when I got it albeit I had to jiggle my USB plug in the get it to maintain the power connection at first. Since it went out I haven't been able to get power through it. I've replaced all the fuses in the car literally and I replaced one of the old cigarette lighters with a new cigarette lighter and wired it up but still no power. So, where to check next? please help.

You have an odd circuit for the cig lighter in your 1999. It starts with fuse 5 (40a) in the PDC, goes to the "accessory relay' under the dash near the steering column then to fuse 19 (20a) in the fuse block behind the glove box & finally to the back of the lighter socket. You may be losing power to the socket anywhere along that circuit or the socket itself may be bad. Always good to check for 12v power at the socket after verifying both fuses are good. Be sure to check fuses with a meter or swap it (them) since they can appear good even after blowing.

If you are getting 12v to the light blue wire at the socket & the black wire is grounded, the socket is bad.

Hope that helps

You have an odd circuit for the cig lighter in your 1999. It starts with fuse 5 (40a) in the PDC, goes to the "accessory relay' under the dash near the steering column then to fuse 19 (20a) in the fuse block behind the glove box & finally to the back of the lighter socket. You may be losing power to the socket anywhere along that circuit or the socket itself may be bad. Always good to check for 12v power at the socket after verifying both fuses are good. Be sure to check fuses with a meter or swap it (them) since they can appear good even after blowing.

If you are getting 12v to the light blue wire at the socket & the black wire is grounded, the socket is bad.

Hope that helps
thank you for the reply! I have a 2004 TJ. So I don't have the same relay under the driver side dash. I can tell say so far that all the fuses and relays have been replaced and right now I am trying to figure out where to look next. Fuse 18 for this year supplies the cigar lighter but is not getting power. I need to locate where to check next. I can't find anywhere on the internet to go next any ideas?

Last edited:
I’m not trying to be critical but exactly what year model are we talking about on this thread- I see 2004, 1999 and 2003. I’m as lost as last year’s Easter egg.

I’m sorry. I edited the post to reflect it is a 2004 TJ. Jeep made subtle but significant changes between certain years. The 99 model year has a different wire layout with sometimes altogether different relays with dedicated purposes like in this instance. 2004 TJ didn't get the under the driver side relay for the cigar lighter, they are all in the passenger fuse box and under the hood. Still though thank you.

Hi Gargantuan!

Have you downloaded the Factory Service Manual yet? It’s here on site and would probably make sorting out that wiring problem a lot easier.

Good luck tracing it down. 😺

The reason I’m trying to figure out I’ve got a 2004 that the left outlet does not work but the constant hot outlet next to it does- Could someone tell me where to look for fuses

Hi Gargantuan!

Have you downloaded the Factory Service Manual yet? It’s here on site and would probably make sorting out that wiring problem a lot easier.

Good luck tracing it down. 😺

I've downloaded the wiring diagram, but to be honest wire label 207 does tell me anything. The other components that share wire 207 with the cigar lighter work. At this time I know for sure that fuse 18 at the fuse box doesn't work. I am going to pull the fuse bow under the hood and at the passenger side to check the connects are good and getting power next. Thanks for the good luck!