2004 TJ, Crank No Start, Please help.

XJ307

Hello fellow jeepers. I am struggling with a crank no start issue on my 2004 TJ 4.0 A/T. I know there are plenty of preexisting threads on this topic but none seem to match up with what I have going on. Vehicle died while driving would not start back up. Upon cranking it seems to want to fire and will occasionally do a revolution or two on its own before dying (when it does this it reminds me of when I had IAC problems before, and also doesn't show on the tach). I have spark. Fuel to rail (cannot test pressure). Power to injectors. Fuel pump works. Known working crank position sensor. 5V reference loop all good. No fuses blown or bad relays. Clean battery terminals and grounds. No trouble codes. Sound electrical connections all around. Please send any suggestions my way! I am sort of stranded, this is my only vehicle and I live pretty far out of town. I have a FSM but it is for the earlier style TJ's so maybe there's something I'm missing.

Update: after some pondering I did the worlds jankiest flow rate test and got a measly 675mL per minute. According to specs it should be 2019mL per second. I can’t get a pressure but could this be enough to make it not start?

Last edited:
No RPM on the tach sounds like a CPS. How do you know yours is good?

Can you bottle feed it with something combustible like brake cleaner and will it run more?

Check fuel pressure...no test port on a 2004 but I'd invest in an adapter and check with a gauge.

-Mac

Reactions: primetime4
No RPM on the tach sounds like a CPS. How do you know yours is good?

Can you bottle feed it with something combustible like brake cleaner and will it run more?

Check fuel pressure...no test port on a 2004 but I'd invest in an adapter and check with a gauge.

-Mac

Thanks for the reply Mac. I bench tested both CPS’ I have and they both give returns. I don’t have an oscilloscope so I can’t speak for the injectors electrical functionality but I know they have power. I bottle fed it with break cleaner (I don’t like doing it but it’s all I had) and I still didn’t get anything I pulled the tank last night so I’m gonna try straight fuel here soon. I have an idea to do the pressure test without an adapter I am just out of town with no ride to a store so I’m working with what I have on hand.

I’ve tried but my arms aren’t long enough to jump the starter and listen at the same time lol. Too bad I didn’t schlep my remote start trigger out here before hand.