Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s a nice LJ haha. Are you sure about this..

Oh believe me it is in the back of my head that if I change my mind (which I’ve been known to do) I’m not getting another LJR in this state without spending a fair bit more. It does worry me a fair bit hah.

Reactions: Starrs
Through what site?

Craigslist, Facebook market place, likely the auto trader, car guru type sites. Probably the other unnamed jeep forums. I'll list it anywhere they'll let me! The more eyes the better haha.

If I haven't sold it in a week I'll probably try ebay too, I've just never sold a vehicle through them so I'm more nervous about it.

Oh believe me it is in the back of my head that if I change my mind (which I’ve been known to do) I’m not getting another LJR in this state without spending a fair bit more. It does worry me a fair bit hah.
My guess is the thing you'll miss about the jeep is that it has its own personality. That and the fact that in the back of your head you know it will take you over, across, or through just about anything you point it at. (Within a 250 mile fuel range) :p

Too bad you can't look 20 years into the future and see if it's going to triple in value.

• Haha
Reactions: tomtaylz
What vehicle are you getting Tom?
A Taco or like a Subaru outback or Legacy ?

It'll be a couple of months before I get anything (going to be car-free for a little) but a taco is the top choice right now.

I think it'll be a good mix of having some creature comforts for some longer 1-2 week trips planned, having the storage space for said trip, still be able to do 95% of the off road that I currently do, and be easier with the dog/other passengers. The taco that joined us at Hollister was impressive.

Don't discount the upcoming re-engineered Ford Bronco for an overlanding rig. But not having a vehicle now may make it impossible to wait.

I’m lucky living in the city I don’t really need a vehicle. Therefore, Im sort of waiting a few months and see more details about the market in general including info about the bronco.

I will say, I think a truck platform with a hard shell would make a lot of things a whole lot easier especially keeping dirty gear out of the cab.

I’m thinking I’ll probably pick up a Jeep again in a few years when I live somewhere I can have more than one vehicle.

Reactions: Alex01
In between jeeps I purchased an Xterra to use as a single daily driver/road trip/overlanding vehicle. I have previously owned small pickups with and without camper shells.

With the clarity of hindsight I have determined that for me a 4WD SUV like an Xterra or Bronco is more useful for most things, although if I had enough driveway and garage space I would have no issue owning a Bronco, Jeep, pickup truck, offroad trailer, and perhaps a car hauler trailer to haul the jeep behind the truck. Oh, and my Miata for Sunday mornings.

For now I'll have to settle for my Jeep, Bantam trailer, and trusty old Xterra. Hopefully I can keep the Xterra in good shape until the Broncos are released because its time for a new daily driver.

Reactions: Alex01 and tomtaylz
In between jeeps I purchased an Xterra to use as a single daily driver/road trip/overlanding vehicle. I have previously owned small pickups with and without camper shells.

With the clarity of hindsight I have determined that for me a 4WD SUV like an Xterra or Bronco is more useful for most things, although if I had enough driveway and garage space I would have no issue owning a Bronco, Jeep, pickup truck, offroad trailer, and perhaps a car hauler trailer to haul the jeep behind the truck. Oh, and my Miata for Sunday mornings.

For now I'll have to settle for my Jeep, Bantam trailer, and trusty old Xterra. Hopefully I can keep the Xterra in good shape until the Broncos are released because its time for a new daily driver.

Derailing this thread but out of curiosity why have you found SUVs generally more useful?

Reactions: Starrs
Derailing this thread but out of curiosity why have you found SUVs generally more useful?
I’d have to say my little ranger is the most useful vehicle I’ve ever owned. I couldn’t go without owning a truck ever again. If I had to get rid of my JK or ranger the JK would have to go first for sure. I use the bed in that little truck almost every day it seems like.

Just that on balance, over the long term, even though a pickup can't be beat for hardware store or lumber yard runs there is a lot to be said for a fully enclosed vehicle.

The problem with camper shells in lieu of an open bed is that they reduce the utility of the pick up bed for oversize items. You end up with cargo space separated into passenger/cargo compartments rather than a single space like an SUV that can be separated with a temporary barrier if necessary.

But everyone's needs and preferences are different.

You can always buy a pickup and a SUV.

For the reasons Mr.Bills says, a SUV just fulfills more needs. We have a Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 to fill that need. I can carry 4 passengers comfortable, have room for gear, and a roof rack to haul more whatever. I've hauled 2x4's 4x4's etc from the lumber yard vs. taking my utility trailer. Go test drive a new Jeep Grand Cherokee and see what you think.

I'm kinda lucky having every type of truck available at work to me, picked up all the big things, washer dryer, fridge, couch, gun safe with our lift gates. Easy on and easy off

Reactions: tomtaylz and Alex01
Status
Not open for further replies.