2006 2.4L Engine Replacement Worthwhile

SummitWanderer

Hi all, I'm doing some research on replacing the 2.4L in my TJ. I'm at the end of nearly a year and a half saga of my jeep cycling between drivable and not drivable. At first I was having overheating issues, then the engine started blowing oil out of who knows where that the mechanic couldn't find, and then the straw that broke the camels back was my tiny little 2.4L engine beginning to sound like a diesel semi truck and blowing smoke out the exhaust. I just got my jeep back from the shop today, and the mechanic told me it was drivable but he couldn't say for how long. He told me that it's at the point where I either trade it in or the engine needs to be replaced.
That puts me in a bind, cause the thing is that I love my jeep and other than the engine problems it is in absolutely perfect condition. The paint is good, I had just replaced the faded fender flares, hardly a dent or dink in the paint anywhere to be found, and a new sound system. The 2.4L is plenty powerful enough for me, and I like that the engine is so small that it's easy to work on. There are hardly and sensors and/or other electronics to go bad once a week and cost and arm and a leg to replace. I've also got some emotional attachment. It was my first car, and my dad picked it out for me as a surprise my senior year because he knew I really wanted a wrangler.
I've considered just cutting my losses and selling the thing (several family members have been prodding me in that direction), but I really don't want a car payment right now. The jeep is paid off, and I am just now starting to have enough disposable income to consider anything more than the temporary band-aids that I've been scraping by with.
So I'm here to ask you lovely folks, is an engine replacement a worthwhile investment? Will it get me another 100k in this jeep? I can't really find any used 2.4L engines anywhere, and to be honest I'd be looking for a remanufactured anyway. If I'm going to drop several grand back into my jeep, I want it to last me as long as possible. I'm also wondering how involved of a process replacing the engine is. I've dropped the transmission and replaced the clutch before under my dad's supervision. But my dad is not always the most...er... careful person. And this being a much more complex job with more moving parts, maybe it's worth it to pay the mechanic to do it. Is there more to the engine replacement than bolting on the hardware from the old engine and hooking up the wiring harness? What are your other thoughts and opinions. Thanks very much for your time.

You like it, it’s in good shape, and it’s your first car. Put an engine in it.
If you’ve done a clutch, you can replace an engine. Take your time, rent/buy/borrow the right tools, and go for it.

If you’ve done a clutch, you can replace an engine. Take your time, rent/buy/borrow the right tools, and go for it.
X2 to this

You should be able to get another 500k out of a new engine as well as long as you maintain it.

Is there anything that should be swapped out while the engine is out? Thanks for your input :)

Replace anything that is hard to get to with it in.
Realistically I’d say water pump and thermostat should be on the list. Maybe idler/tensioner if they don’t feel great.

Changing the engine on these things is a strictly bolt-in affair. If the TJ is yours & you love it, just swap it out! They're very easy to swap out compared to a a lot of vehicles - there's tons of room to maneuver. As far as other components, just consider everything that needs to come out & go from there - radiator, condenser, injectors, water pump, pulleys, etc... At the very least I'd do the water pump (mopar), t-stat, plugs, wires, injectors (maybe).

Or just install a V8!