2006 Rubicon anti-lift

or move the body away than restrict the suspension in that way for that reason.
Absolutely, this is my go to answer.
I loved Ted Nugents Bronco from the 1980s

2006-57613-ted-nugent-with-vintage-ford-bronco1.jpg

From Top Truck Challenge in the 1990s, this Bronco.

02.jpg

Parnellis Beer Can Bronco from the 1970 Baja 1000.

b536c071d5a8b452ddc70d76218342c8.jpg

And every Trophy Truck taken to the extreme. I'd sooner cut some body than just lift it.

44730784_1932234023745406_5987067759312240640_n-2.jpg

I don't like giving up speed and handling just to climb a waterfall..
actually I have zero desire to climb a waterfall.

Last edited:
Absolutely, this is my go to answer. I loved Ted Nugents Bronco from the 1980s. And Parnellis Beer Can Bronco from the Baja 1000. And every Trophy Truck when taken to the extreme. I'd sooner cut some body than lift it.

Moving the body is a way to solve a tire clearance problem. But it doesn't raise the frame higher than what the tires provide, nor does it add suspension up travel beyond stock. If those are not concerns that need to be addressed, then there is little reason to go down those roads.

The easy way to gain fender clearance is to cut out a wedge moving the front fender rear opening back 3" and cutting into the inner fender. Here is the AEV HighLine. Not sure how clear the photo is but this is the problem corner when stuffed at full lock.

One can always add some lift if needed but without doing this you need to go much higher to gain the same clearance.

DSC_0015.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow...This thread grew today! Lifting a TJ is an exercise in patience. EVERYTHING is related. Once you change one thing, you gotta go through everything else and make sure you didn't mess something else up. I'm going through the process now. I'm going the other way from @BendLarry in that I'm replacing factory control arms with Currie. Its taken some time to get things "right." Its almost like starting the lift over again. Pulled all springs, checking bumpstops, etc. Then I decided to put an adjustable rear track bar on, since my factory unit was binding up the suspension excessively. That required modifications to my relocation bracket. Everything is going back together, but it was a MUCH bigger project than I originally anticipated!

For what its worth, I'm checking the bumpstops here with my 2" lift, 1.25'ish inch Body lift and 33's...

This is the "trouble area" that @billiebob was talking about. I have a finger's worth of clearance at full lock. Some pan head screws might be a good choice there...its tight.

I'm glad you like you're new ride height Larry. They are VERY capable in stock form and much easier on the wallet!

Reactions: BendLarry
I’m probably going to replace the flares with stock Rubicon flares. I liked the Bushwacker flares with the bigger tires.
I will take some pictures for you tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got stupid and bought stock TJ flares for my Rubicon with 33's.

It had some monster , 6" , jk like flares that had to go.

I can't keep it clean now if the weather is bad , seriously.

It did make the tires look bigger.

It’s kind of a form or function kind of thing. My flares line up exactly with the edge of my tires. The ones you have pictured do not cover your tires. I think flares are designed to keep gravel and mud off of your vehicle.
I’m less concerned about how things look and more interested in the way they function. The Rubicon flares look good and cover the tires.
To each their own.

I got my 6inch rugged ridge pocket flares to run to the edge of my 31" tyres with a bit of back spacing and I love the look.
side.jpg

Reactions: BendLarry
I went the other way. The AEV HighLine comes with 6" flares which work great with an 8" rim and a 4.25" BS.

DSC_0081.jpeg

But running forestry trails I have decided skinny works better and changed to the factory 15x7 spokers with 5.5" BS. The AEV flares look like pantaloons.

DSC_0035.jpeg

Lots of road rash....

IMG_2221.jpeg

So I cut them down to a 4" flare.

IMG_2190.jpeg

Much prefer this look... and a skinnier Jeep.

IMG_2208.jpg

Next set of tires will be skinnier yet as I aim for the pizza cutter look.
I wish BFG still made the 33x9.50R15s.

DSC_00133006.jpeg

Last edited:
Aside from knowledgeable guys on this forum, the odds of a TJ being lifted correctly and completely are slim . Most I have driven are a mess.
Probably, but it is also very shortsighted to dismiss one of those without ever having used one in the rocks or on the street as something that folks just talk loudly about. Beyond shortsighted and just downright ignorant.

Last edited:
Good, I didn’t think so.

You oughta stop dancing around your point a bit. I have no issue with what you did or why you did it. Had someone with brains and common sense built your rig before you got it, you wouldn't have had to put it back to stock.