2006 TJ Rubicon

No TJ is worth $30K US! get a grip on this Covid "Un reality"! Buy a clean sports for $10K and enjoy it for what it is because Rubicon TJ,s are no longer what they were! they are now just a Hood decal and dealer selling point years ago!
16 " wheels cheap as chips! Locker switches, plenty available! But if its worth 3 TJ Sports then hey go for it. :)
200.gif

I'd tell the dealer to

step-away-from-the-crack-pipe.jpg

But I get it, they may in fact find some fool willing to fork over 30k that that thing, and good for all parties involved if everyone is happy. I'm however starting to look at these things from a different perspective. If the supply (and burning of) fossil fuels were not a constant sore subject we have to hear about 24/7, I might even consider being one of the fools in that transaction as it’s a beautiful rig, but I think the reality is that they’re coming for all dino-burners and they aren’t gonna stop until driving one is essentially criminalized. That may sound farfetched, but I don’t see how we’re not trending in that precise direction, & it’s rapidly gaining momentum. At this particular juncture in human history I just can’t see pissing away big dollars on something that may be rendered obsolete with the stroke of a pen.

Though, I guess you could always swap in a Musk motor & be on your way.

But I get it, they may in fact find some fool willing to fork over 30k that that thing, and good for all parties involved if everyone is happy. I'm however starting to look at these things from a different perspective. If the supply (and burning of) fossil fuels were not a constant sore subject we have to hear about 24/7, I might even consider being one of the fools in that transaction as it’s a beautiful rig, but I think the reality is that they’re coming for all dino-burners and they aren’t gonna stop until driving one is essentially criminalized. That may sound farfetched, but I don’t see how we’re not trending in that precise direction, & it’s rapidly gaining momentum. At this particular juncture in human history I just can’t see pissing away big dollars on something that may be rendered obsolete with the stroke of a pen.

Oil isn't going away anytime soon. Electric is going to be the better option for most uses once the infrastructure is in place. However, that is a very, very long way off. The electrical grid can not handle it. Plus big oil will be fighting it which will slow it down even more. These auto manufactures that claim that they'll be all electric by 2035 are lying. They know it's not possible but they want to appease the very loud tree huggers. Not enough electricity or charging infrastructure. Battery technology would have to advance well beyond where it is now. Not enough raw materials to make the batteries with the current technology. Charging speeds will have to increase dramatically without degrading battery performance. Faster charging creates more heat which degrades batteries faster.

It's not farfetched and we are trending in that direction which is a good thing. However, it's not happening anytime soon and probably not even in this century. I think you're safe buying an ICE vehicle. They aren't going away soon. Plus as more cars are electric it will decrease oil demand making gas more affordable.

I love driving my electric car. It's quick, quiet and fun to drive. Plus it's cheap to operate. When I charge at home I get over 30 miles for one dollar of electricity. Our electric rates are cheap.

Note that I qualified my post #15 statement by editing it. I needed to clarify the type of LJ I was seeking.

Oil isn't going away anytime soon. Electric is going to be the better option for most uses once the infrastructure is in place. However, that is a very, very long way off. The electrical grid can not handle it. Plus big oil will be fighting it which will slow it down even more. These auto manufactures that claim that they'll be all electric by 2035 are lying. They know it's not possible but they want to appease the very loud tree huggers. Not enough electricity or charging infrastructure. Battery technology would have to advance well beyond where it is now. Not enough raw materials to make the batteries with the current technology. Charging speeds will have to increase dramatically without degrading battery performance. Faster charging creates more heat which degrades batteries faster.

It's not farfetched and we are trending in that direction which is a good thing. However, it's not happening anytime soon and probably not even in this century. I think you're safe buying an ICE vehicle. They aren't going away soon. Plus as more cars are electric it will decrease oil demand making gas more affordable.

I love driving my electric car. It's quick, quiet and fun to drive. Plus it's cheap to operate. When I charge at home I get over 30 miles for one dollar of electricity. Our electric rates are cheap.
I agree to the extent that I’ll buy another daily driver gas burner, probably something like the Subie I currently drive, but those things are disposable much like televisions & washing machines, so I’d buy with confidence I’d get the intended value therefrom, which to me is about 10 years. But I don’t see a vintage Corvette or Ruby as disposable, and I’m only speaking for myself here when I say if I bought one I’d want to be able to still drive it in 2032, 2042 & perhaps into the 2050s right about when I’m scheduled to croak, if things go well :LOL:. In fact that’s the plan I had/have for the TJ I did buy in 2016, it was always my hope that my kids would be fighting over it when I’m gone…

If you have faith that the world political system will permit burning of fossil fuels for individual use/daily drivers or toys throughout that stretch, then buy all means it’s not an issue.

I don’t have that faith in our world ‘leaders’, not with trends the way I seen them.

I also agree there will be fuel throughout that stretch, though I tend to think it’s usage will be far more restricted to things like industrial, farming, military… Joe’s shitbox to get back & forth to work & take to the kids to the beach on the weekends, not so much.

What do y’all think about this find? At that age I’m not sure if it’s even the original top. It’s possible if it was garaged all the time. Did the oem tops come with tinted windows back then?
I think if I was asking $30k I would be pissed or ignore you if someone offered me $20k. Not that it’s worth $30k, just saying that’s what people think.

Reactions: PRNDL
I looked at it today and it looked a little ruff for the miles. My feelings is that most of the miles on it were off road or getting to going wheeling. Where they drilled through the tub to mount the basket I expected to see at least some backing, but found none. The aftermarket market parts on it seemed like they weren’t the best quality available and were installed in a half hearted manner. I might have over looked some of the stuff if it were $10k cheaper. I could fix what was done poorly, but for the price it should have been in better shape. The lot this was on had five TJ’s and I wasn’t real impressed by the ones I looked at. I only looked four of the five because the fifth win was off to the side because it had been sold. It was a 2005 with about 9k miles on it. It sold for $35k.

I also looked at another TJ that was fir sale by a private party. The Jeep was a 2001 and looked fairly decent. He was only asking $9k for it. He was upfront and said it needed new tires before I met him to see it. It was listed in good shape, not excellent and that rating seemed an honest one. I took it for a test drive and something just didn’t seem right with the front end. I don’t know if it was the steering or suspension. It just seemed a little light. I’ve driven my parents TJ and that drives good in my opinion. My parents jeep is a soft top and the one for sale is a hard top. My brother had a tj with a hardtop and has also driven my parents soft top and said his hard top handles similar to the soft top. I can tell the current owner of the jeep I was looking at has had it own in some decent amount of mud. He’s only owned for six months and wants to sell it to go back to a truck. I feel the owner before him also wheeled hard in it. So I’m afraid that the light feeling I felt from driving it around means there will be some steering and/or suspension work needed at least up front. There’s little stuff around the jeep that should be easy to fix and for $9k I do t mind that. I just don’t want to buy it and then have to sink a decent sun to fix the problem in the front end.

On a positive note I looked at five different Jeeps today and did some probing with a tool I had with me. I didn’t see any sign of rust on the frame of any one of them.
$9k is way more realistic than $30k. Front end suspension parts are easy and cheap to fix. Offer $8500 and fix it.

If you have faith that the world political system will permit burning of fossil fuels for individual use/daily drivers or toys throughout that stretch, then buy all means it’s not an issue.

I don’t have that faith in our world ‘leaders’, not with trends the way I seen them.
Never have faith in the political system! I do recognize that what they want to do and what can be done are 2 very different things. There are so many advantages to electric over gas. It just can't be accomplished on a wide scale anytime soon. It'll happen one day but that day will be long after we're gone. Until that time comes, progress towards the goal of eliminating ICE will continue, which isn't a bad thing.

I'd tell the dealer to

View attachment 307645

There is someone sealing in acrate Mustang electric engine into a TJ on another wrangler forum. It’s looking good so far.

I think if I was asking $30k I would be pissed or ignore you if someone offered me $20k. Not that it’s worth $30k, just saying that’s what people think.
It’s a used car lot selling it overpriced. So I wouldn’t really care if I piss them off. Im willing to bet they payed far less for it and are greedily selling it for as much they can.

Reactions: JMT
It’s a used car lot selling it overpriced. So I wouldn’t really care if I piss them off. Im willing to bet they payed far less for it and are greedily selling it for as much they can.
I’m convinced that there are only two reasons to buy a Rubicon: 1) resale value. 2) to run a tire no bigger than 32”.

Everything else I can do better.

Reactions: Woodrow
$9k is way more realistic than $30k. Front end suspension parts are easy and cheap to fix. Offer $8500 and fix it.
It does have 31x10.5x16 tires on it including the spare. The little rubber stoppers that support the tire and help stop it from moving around while mounted on the tailgate don’t even touch the tire with the offset of the aftermarket wheels. The tailgate has some slop in it when closed. I realize the latch should be able to be adjusted to take the slop out. The tailgate looks like it may be tweaked a bit with the weight of the tire. The bottom seems to meet the tub, but the top doesn’t. I’m thinking a little time and d just should be able to get that tight again. The hardtop door seems a little loose at the bottom; I’m not sure if that will be fixed when the tailgate is adjusted. The rear window hatch also squeaks a lot when driving down the road. Would new seals on it and tightening up the tailgate latch possibly eliminate that?

Never have faith in the political system! I do recognize that what they want to do and what can be done are 2 very different things. There are so many advantages to electric over gas. It just can't be accomplished on a wide scale anytime soon. It'll happen one day but that day will be long after we're gone. Until that time comes, progress towards the goal of eliminating ICE will continue, which isn't a bad thing.
True.

I always purchase new to avoid lemon type/used car issues, then keep for a minimum of 10 years to suck the good life/value out of them then dumping while I can still grab a nice chunk on their sale before moving on to the next. I could certainly go longer but after a decade in the same ride it's time for a change. And they're always econo-cruisers, cheap, reliable & utilitarian is just about all I care about in a daily driver, thus the current subie hatchback.

I'm not sure I'm ready to go full EV yet but I've been looking at the Honda Insight plug in hybrid as a candidate for my next ride (2024), seems like a reasonable step for me. My daily commute is 30ish miles which is about the range of their battery, but I also want to be able to drive out to visit my daughter (250 miles) without worrying about running out of juice... I'm a huge Honda fan, have had quite a few, & I think that particular version could keep me out of gas stations for months at a time.

As an aside, and to drag this thread even further off-topic 😁 , I made the switch to all battery lawn tools this past season as all my gas crap was beat to death. Leaf blower, weed whacker came first & I liked them so much I went back & grabbed the hedge trimmer and 16 inch chainsaw. Holy shit this stuff blows away their 2 stroke counterparts. At least for moderate home usage anyway, I'm no longer felling whole trees & chopping them up, just smaller stuff for maintenance, but damn these things make so much more sense.

True.

I always purchase new to avoid lemon type/used car issues, then keep for a minimum of 10 years to suck the good life/value out of them then dumping while I can still grab a nice chunk on their sale before moving on to the next. I could certainly go longer but after a decade in the same ride it's time for a change. And they're always econo-cruisers, cheap, reliable & utilitarian is just about all I care about in a daily driver, thus the current subie hatchback.

I'm not sure I'm ready to go full EV yet but I've been looking at the Honda Insight plug in hybrid as a candidate for my next ride (2024), seems like a reasonable step for me. My daily commute is 30ish miles which is about the range of their battery, but I also want to be able to drive out to visit my daughter (250 miles) without worrying about running out of juice... I'm a huge Honda fan, have had quite a few, & I think that particular version could keep me out of gas stations for months at a time.

As an aside, and to drag this thread even further off-topic 😁 , I made the switch to all battery lawn tools this past season as all my gas crap was beat to death. Leaf blower, weed whacker came first & I liked them so much I went back & grabbed the hedge trimmer and 16 inch chainsaw. Holy shit this stuff blows away their 2 stroke counterparts. At least for moderate home usage anyway, I'm no longer felling whole trees & chopping them up, just smaller stuff for maintenance, but damn these things make so much more sense.
I’m eyeing the Rivian and F-150 Lightning to replace my Ram 1500. I’m a carpenter that works out of my truck and I think they are both more than up to fully replacing my ram with a fully electric truck for work and to pull my travel trailer. I saw some guys on the TFL truck channel on youtube testing the Rivian towing 8100 pounds over the Ike pass in Colorado. When the one driving the Rivian got on it to get onto the interstate he was pulling away from a unloaded ram truck the other guy was in. I was impressed and tho two men running the test were too.

Your lawn equipment has motors? My lawn mower is a new version of the old reel mower. I push it and the reel starts spinning to cut my lawn.

🥴🍺🍸 DO WHAT ?
It’s for the wife to drive. She was actually Interviewed about the project. I would post a link to the thread, but I’m not sure if posting a thread from another forum is allowed here. Here is the interview video.
And here’s a video of her talking about it on her YouTube channel

It does have 31x10.5x16 tires on it including the spare. The little rubber stoppers that support the tire and help stop it from moving around while mounted on the tailgate don’t even touch the tire with the offset of the aftermarket wheels. The tailgate has some slop in it when closed. I realize the latch should be able to be adjusted to take the slop out. The tailgate looks like it may be tweaked a bit with the weight of the tire. The bottom seems to meet the tub, but the top doesn’t. I’m thinking a little time and d just should be able to get that tight again. The hardtop door seems a little loose at the bottom; I’m not sure if that will be fixed when the tailgate is adjusted. The rear window hatch also squeaks a lot when driving down the road. Would new seals on it and tightening up the tailgate latch possibly eliminate that?
Who knows. I’d just have to look at it. A Rubi for $30k would need to be perfect. Even for $20k. I sold this near mint 2003 TJR in summer of 2021 for $17.8k, my asking price.

51911D5F-1C7A-4F54-B3B3-450D454F016E.jpeg

DE881E5A-1FA5-48EF-807B-8C5F030411FA.jpeg

07120586-C20C-4CC3-882C-8976F598F107.jpeg

D15181E2-D6C2-49F5-B78D-0FCB4D5AA926.jpeg

4EBECF14-8954-4B85-9856-FBC855853FB3.jpeg

886705E4-82A2-43E2-A6D0-43C909FA5259.jpeg

374041E6-328D-442E-8E06-DF240A6FAEF6.jpeg

AF3AADD8-E8B4-4B07-907F-9D1E2E999893.jpeg

A5A01F4F-C772-430A-909A-511E83615C91.jpeg

FFFE8E36-FB07-4357-82B1-8DAF4B80A675.jpeg

8CA80D63-33DD-4AE3-99F1-0DDDC30639A3.jpeg

5957FCC8-293F-4A0E-9CF3-2E75C8AC69E3.jpeg

3731816E-42D8-4BE4-9FA0-15A7100D87E6.jpeg

4FD4D280-C5CE-4763-99C0-F5BF9EDBA28D.jpeg

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
That does look cleaner than the one I looked at. And for that price I would have bought it.