2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition Sells Out In One Day

@Chris ETA for “The unfortunate Gladiator of the day thread”?? Lol!

As soon as I see them start popping up looking stupid. I suspect it won't be long at all before we start seeing 24" rims on them with angry bird grilles and the works.

It's almost embarrassing to drive a Jeep these days, only because now you're automatically associated with that crowd.

Reactions: TJBob and KCsTJ
X100 to this.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that no one is paying 62k for one of these and then taking it off-road. They'll live 100% on-road and just have the "off-road look". Okay, maybe there's 1 out of every 500 people who will actually off-road it, but those are the guys who are loaded and can afford to buy a replacement very easily.

That was my first thought too. Most of these trucks, except for a few, will be immediately relegated to garage queen status. Some of them will barely be driven (collectors, dealers, builders, and wanna be collectors). Most of them will never even see a dirt road of have a piece of lumber thrown in the back. For the few that do see some action, the average duty will be hauling mulch and pulling a boat on weekends.

Reactions: Chris
What engine are they running is it the v6 3.8?
3.6 pentastar , to my knowledge .

It has a lot of buzz, but when it is all said and done it's going to flatten out pretty fast , vehicles like this generally do.

It's unique , and that will be it's main selling point. It's a "hey , check this out, ain't I something " vehicle . It's a trophy vehicle , and like my aquaintances' trophy wife , it isn't first place .

It's also specialized to a fault .

It's not the one , do all vehicle Chysler says it is .

The problem with "do all" vehicles is they typically don't do anything very well .

If it weren't for the massive success of the JK /JL , it would be considered a civilian version of the original Humvee.

I'm not saying it's bad , or anything . It just won't sell millions. It's not the "answer" Fiat says it is.

I hate being fed bull by manufacturers, be realistic .

It's cool , just very specialized .

Last edited:
Reactions: KCsTJ and TJBob
Yes , to my knowledge .

It has a lot of buzz, but when it is all said and done it's going to flatten out pretty fast , vehicles like this generally do.

It's unique , and that will be it's main selling point. It's a "hey , check this out, ain't I something " vehicle . It's a trophy vehicle , and like my aquaintances' trophy wife , it isn't first place .

The problem with "do all" vehicles is they typically don't do anything very well .

If it weren't for the massive success of the JK /JL , it would be considered a civilian version of the original Humvee.

I'm not saying it's bad , or anything . It just won't sell millions. It's not the "answer" Fiat says it is.

I thought the H1 was the civilian version of the original HMMWV?

I agree it’s cool, but as others have said, at the price... I’d be scared of a bird shitting on it. Let alone wheeling it. Ridiculous what new cars go for anymore.

Reactions: Adalynn and Chris
Yes , to my knowledge .

Specialized and technical meaning they have probably engineered the fun out of working on a Jeep.

Plus you probably have to let the dealer have it for every little repair I would think?

And to me having a vehicle I can diagnose and repair myself is more than practical.

Reactions: AndyG
I would feel physically sick driving a vehicle worth $62k off-road
Some people have more money than others. They have no problem spending $60k+ on a rock crawler or a vehicle they could take off road and scratch up.

Look at rock bouncer owners, they would laugh at a vehicle that they take off road with a cost of $62k. Some of their bouncers cost well in the $100k range and all they do is thrash them on some of the most impossible off road trails/obstacles. They also take home upwards of $30k-$50k for making it up some of those “impossible” obstacles/trails.

For us poor folks they JT does have a model that starts at $35k.

Reactions: tomtaylz
X100 to this.

Seriously, I'm with you 100%. But to be honest, I'd bet dollars to donuts that no one is paying 62k for one of these and then taking it off-road. They'll live 100% on-road and just have the "off-road look".

Okay, maybe there's 1 out of every 500 people who will actually off-road it, but those are the guys who are loaded and can afford to buy a replacement very easily.

I'm sorry, but for a true off-road vehicle, I'd rather have a cheap vehicle that I won't cringe when it gets beat up.
l’ll take that bet. People say the same thing about JK’s and JKU’s and they flood off road parks all over the nation. So many people get involved in off roading based off the JK/JKU hitting the consumer market.

l’ll take that bet. People say the same thing about JK’s and JKU’s and they flood off road parks all over the nation. So many people get involved in off roading based off the JK/JKU hitting the consumer market.

You're right. But how much is a used JK / JKU? You can get them for under 20k all day long if you are looking for an earlier model and not a Rubicon.

Hell, even a 2012+ JKU Rubicon now can be had for under 30k, which is half the price of a 62k Gladiator.

And all those JKs you see at the off-road parks, ask the owners if they are the original owners and bought them brand new for 42k (which is around what a fully loaded one cost when it was new). My guess is they will tell you, "No, it's a 2012, and I am the fourth owner, and I paid 25k for it." (or something similar to this at least)

That's quite different than a 62k Gladiator. Not really a comparison if you ask me.

Unless someone is loaded to the gills with money, they aren't generally going to be stupid enough to take their bank financed vehicle to the off-road park and go bashing it against the rocks... Not when they paid 62k for it.

Yeah, maybe when these Gladiators are 10 years old you'll start seeing them at off-road parks, but that's after they went down in value and got on the secondhand market.

In the meantime, the ones you see wheeling will probably 9 times out of 10 be owned by people with really deep pockets, or companies like TeraFlex and others who are writing them off as business expenses, as they are using them as product testing and development rigs.

But that's beside the point. What kind of off-roading can you do in a Gladiator? With that horrible break over angle, I don't think you're going to be navigating the trails too easily :ROFLMAO:

You're right. But how much is a used JK / JKU? You can get them for under 20k all day long if you are looking for an earlier model and not a Rubicon.

Hell, even a 2012+ JKU Rubicon now can be had for under 30k, which is half the price of a 62k Gladiator.

And all those JKs you see at the off-road parks, ask the owners if they are the original owners and bought them brand new for 42k (which is around what a fully loaded one cost when it was new). My guess is they will tell you, "No, it's a 2012, and I am the fourth owner, and I paid 25k for it." (or something similar to this at least)

That's quite different than a 62k Gladiator. Not really a comparison if you ask me.

Unless someone is loaded to the gills with money, they aren't generally going to be stupid enough to take their bank financed vehicle to the off-road park and go bashing it against the rocks... Not when they paid 62k for it.

Yeah, maybe when these Gladiators are 10 years old you'll start seeing them at off-road parks, but that's after they went down in value and got on the secondhand market.

In the meantime, the ones you see wheeling will probably 9 times out of 10 be owned by people with really deep pockets, or companies like TeraFlex and others who are writing them off as business expenses, as they are using them as product testing and development rigs.

But that's beside the point. What kind of off-roading can you do in a Gladiator? With that horrible break over angle, I don't think you're going to be navigating the trails too easily :ROFLMAO:

No Jeep carries an investment value. Jeeps are expenditures. So of course everyone of them is going to lose value over time. Its no surprise a Jeep, a vehicle designed, engineered, and marketed towards modifying it and taking it off road is going to lose value, fast. Its built and marketed to be “abused.” And a lot of them are, which would warrant a low used asking price.

One could argue that a Jeep could holds it value a lot longer if not taken off road. That’s evident in the used Jeep TJ/LJ market today. I would have no problem paying $20k for a 03+ Wrangler that has low milage (under 30k miles) and its evident is was garage kept, taken care of, and not taken off road. You and I both know, Its pretty easy to tell when a Jeep for sale has been a garage queen and taken care of since new and it will carry a much higher asking price, even used.

CJ’s, YJ’s, TJ’s, and LJ’s all have that going for them. The JK and JL will be no different. Im not sure why it would be any different for a Gladiator. But I have no crystal ball.

And the condition of that JK/JKU will be in a condition (milage, offroad use, overall cleanliness, scratches, neglect) that quantifies that asking price.

Just like the TJ/LJ used market, I bet I could find an early model JK that was garage kept, clean, never off road, and low milage for a asking price a lot higher.

Its the basic principles of the used car/truck market. You get what you pay for.

Bottom line: no matter whether someone is rich or poor, buying a brand new vehicle over a used great condition 3 year old vehicle (with low miles and powertrain warranty intact) never makes good financial sense, unless they somehow think said vehicle will appreciate over time. In this particular case, I find it unlikely that these JT's will be considered overly special, unless someone plays the long game and barely drives it for many, many years. With my luck, I'd have a gas powered truck in an electric age where nobody is allowed to drive it anymore, LOL.

Otherwise, 99.9% of the time, after 5-6 years the absolute best you will have is around 55-60% of your original value (4 door Jeeps, Tacomas etc.) if you can find a buyer willing to pay that. We are lucky with our Jeeps when we keep them nice. With most vehicles, it will be somewhere between 30-40% of original value. Expensive German cars usually are the worst to buy new.

Even for a person that has paid cash without financing, or for someone that landed a 0% loan, it still isn't a good deal. The more expensive the vehicle, the worse of a deal you land. For the person that paid financing for 84 months on a 60k+ car, they really need to sit down and play with the calculator and give this some thought. Just because you are wealthy enough and can afford the payment, it still doesn't mean your are spending your $ wisely. Most of the well off people I know (after the full haul to retirement) got that way by working hard, playing the long game, and spending their money wisely along the way.

About a year ago, I stupidly pondered shelling out 60k including taxes (and probably 7k+ after mods) for a new vehicle optioned exactly the way I would want it. You only live once, right? Buy once, cry once they say. Unfortunately, for the wise that actually do the math before thinking it through, you really just keep on crying! And this example is only for the so called smart ones without a loan! Now imagine the situation for the folks that are doing this over and over from age 25 to 60! Be smart folks.

Example for cash transaction with typical Jeep depreciation after 6 years
Let's say I saved up my money and want to buy a newer Wrangler 4 door and I want to install some mods. I got the bug for the new JLUR...I just have to have it. I have the money saved for purchase and mods.

Money in bank: 67k

Choice 1: Loaded 2019 JLUR

Cost: 60k out the door with tax
Mods: 7k (decent quality lift and 35's etc.)
Total: 67k
Worth after 6 years: ~32k total (Jeep with normal mileage wear etc.)

Choice 2: Buy a used 2016 JKUR stock with low miles in great condition.
Cost: 35k out the door with tax
Mods: 8k (decent quality lift and 35's, LED's, heated seats, stereo)
Total: 43k
Invest the rest of the 24k and it yields 5% for 6 years.
Worth after 6 years: ~20k Jeep + 24k investment + ~8k in interest = ~52k total
(Note: if you keep investing the 24k at 5% for 20 years, it could have grown to ~63k!)

Last edited:

I’m in the Bay Area so take things with a grain of salt, but I see a fair amount of JLU(R)s doing some pretty serious off-roading around here, I’ve seen more than a couple. I know it’s a small number in the total number of Jeep owners but it wouldn’t surprise me to see some expensive gladiators soon.

In this particular case, I find it unlikely that these JT's will be considered overly special, unless someone plays the long game and barely drives it for many, many years.
Did you find it likey that a 2003 TJ Sahara would be considered “special?”

Yet here is a perfect example of a TJ Sahara w/ 28k miles with an asking price of $21.9k, which I think is a very fair price considering both interior and exterior condition.

Back in 2003 the same TJ Sahara started at $24,310.00.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/263784731827You are right, one could argue that its cheaper and more financially responsible to buy a used Jeep just like it is more financially responsible to buy a used couch or a used mattress. Im sure a brand new mattress has a very high depreciation value too. But some people would rather buy new. Doesnt make them dumb or finically irresponsible. Like I said, the JT isnt a truck a high school PE coach should finance.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I’m in the Bay Area

Haha, well that alone speaks volumes.

If anyone can afford to live even in a condo in the Bay Area, chances are they have way more money than the rest of us mere mortals. ;)

I have no doubt you'll see Gladiators off-road. But if you compare the number of them you see off-road to the number of them you see on-road, I'll bet it's probably a 500 to 1 ratio or something.

One thing is for sure though, with as long as the Gladiator is, it's not going to be getting into the stuff you can get into with a Wrangler, that's for sure.

There's going to be an assload of JKs saturating the used car market.

I'm not one to encourage people to pick a JK over a TJ — but if I were considering a JK, now would be the time.

Did you find it likey that a 2003 TJ Sahara would be considered “special?”

Yet here is a perfect example of a TJ Sahara w/ 28k miles with an asking price of $21.9k, which I think is a very fair price considering both interior and exterior condition.

Back in 2003 the same TJ Sahara started at $24,310.00.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/263784731827You are right, one could argue that its cheaper and more financially responsible to buy a used Jeep just like it is more financially responsible to buy a used couch or a used mattress. Im sure a brand new mattress has a very high depreciation value too. But some people would rather buy new. Doesn't make them dumb or finically irresponsible. Like I said, the JT isn't a truck a high school PE coach should finance.

It will be interesting to see how much that Sahara goes for. Hopefully TJ prices are going up. For me, it is still priced a bit high for a non-Rubicon from what I saw out there when I was looking. I just got a pristine JK 2016 Willys with 3.73/LSD/Auto/AC with 36k miles for about the same price, which is interesting. I picked up my 05 TJ RME one year ago with hardtop, painted fenders , and Dana 44 (kind of like a Sahara) in really good condition for 13k. But, instead of 28k, it had a 102k on the OD. Still, both are fairly nice for dirty mattresses ;-)

At least a JT Rubicon or JLUR might be able fetch some decent coin if you play the long game and don't use it much. At least they have a fighting chance, unlike most other 60k+ SUV's and german cars I see around. Like all the 75k Escalade or Yukons...60% of the value is lost after 5 years, and about 20% is lost after the first year. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but losing that kind of money that quickly is not a good deal for anyone. The math and the residual values are the same for everyone, no matter whether they can afford to lose the money or not.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
It will be interesting to see how much that Sahara goes for. Hopefully TJ prices are going up. For me, it is still priced a bit high for a non-Rubicon from what I saw out there when I was looking. I just got a pristine JK 2016 Willys with 3.73/LSD/Auto/AC with 36k miles for about the same price, which is interesting. I picked up my 05 TJ RME one year ago with hardtop, painted fenders , and Dana 44 (kind of like a Sahara) in really good condition for 13k. But, instead of 28k, it had a 102k on the OD. Still, both are fairly nice for dirty mattresses ;-)

At least a JT Rubicon or JLUR might be able fetch some decent coin if you play the long game and don't use it much. At least they have a fighting chance, unlike most other 60k+ SUV's and german cars I see around. Like all the 75k Escalade or Yukons...60% of the value is lost after 5 years, and about 20% is lost after the first year. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but losing that kind of money that quickly is not a good deal for anyone. The math and the residual values are the same for everyone, no matter whether they can afford to lose the money or not.
P.S. I've been on the wrong side of the buying equation many times, don't get me wrong! And, I do get the appeal of a new car, but I am going to change my ways and try to lose less on every car purchase from here on out. Jeeps hold their value well and are part of my plan, haha!

G
@AndyG @KCsTJ the 3.8 hasn’t been used in a wrangler since 2011. It’s been and is still the 3.6 L or now the turbo 4 cyclinder.
Thanks , good catch , the 3.8. was 07-11, I gave a family with one a ride home last night , they’d just bought it, and the immobilization system shut it down .

The 3.6 Pentastar is correct, I just responded too fast.

Reactions: Rick Flair