231 Transfer Case Repair

SMatthews

I just had something break loose inside my transfer case and it punched a small hole in the bottom of the case. I need to tear into it and fix whatever broke. I would like to know what usually fails inside these cases so I can go ahead and order the parts so I'm prepared. As you would expect, I need it repaired yesterday. Now I have to listen to my wife complain about me wasting money on something useless again. I'm considering buying a remanufactured case from Advanced Auto if necessary.

Thanks!

If the case housing is damaged, it’s probably going to be a lot easier to buy a reman or used case. 231 cases are relatively inexpensive to come by compared to the 241s. Any place that parts out Jeeps probably has several on hand. You can also order them from Jeep junkyards like Daveys Jeeps.
You can also order remanufactured cases from RockAuto or other online companies. A google search for “remanufactured 231 transfer case” should give you quite a few options.
If you want to put the money into upgrading it to a tougher case, now would be a good time. 241 cases and Atlas II transfer cases are popular swaps. 241 cases aren’t cheap though.

If the case housing is damaged, it’s probably going to be a lot easier to buy a reman or used case. 231 cases are relatively inexpensive to come by compared to the 241s. Any place that parts out Jeeps probably has several on hand. You can also order them from Jeep junkyards like Daveys Jeeps.
You can also order remanufactured cases from RockAuto or other online companies. A google search for “remanufactured 231 transfer case” should give you quite a few options.
If you want to put the money into upgrading it to a tougher case, now would be a good time. 241 cases and Atlas II transfer cases are popular swaps. 241 cases aren’t cheap though.
Thanks. Atlas was suggested to me by a friend. Just can't afford that yet, but I found several on ebay, just not sure if mine is a short or long shaft, and the number of splines.

She said your TJ is useless? Tell her "you want to see useless, go look in the mirror" That's no way to talk about a mans Jeep! I would go with a remanufactured T-case, not try to rebuild. Get one with a slip yoke eliminator installed since your going there anyway.

It appears the chain is chaffing the case and it is making a bigger hole.
The chain is the original cause of the hole.

It does occur to me that the only way the hole can be getting bigger is if you are still driving it. That is likely not a good idea since all the lube is no longer in the case that it requires. I'm not entirely familiar with what will happen when it finally seizes the metal bits together, maybe nothing, but I sure wouldn't be driving it.

Guessing that the best will be locking into 4 wheel drive since the chain to the front is spinning on basically a big idler in 2wd, worst is the case blows in half.

Last edited:
The chain is the original cause of the hole.

It does occur to me that the only way the hole can be getting bigger is if you are still driving it. That is likely not a good idea since all the lube is no longer in the case that it requires. I'm not entirely familiar with what will happen when it finally seizes the metal bits together, maybe nothing, but I sure wouldn't be driving it.

Guessing that the best will be locking into 4 wheel drive since the chain to the front is spinning on basically a big idler in 2wd, worst is the case blows in half.
Thanks. It stopped going into 4wd not too long ago. It would make a clunking noise when I drove forward, so I kept it in 2wd. I was hoping to nurse it along until I got some extra cash at the end of the month. I will to go ahead and buy a used transfer case since I have surmised I don't have the proper tools or time to overhaul it at home.

She said your TJ is useless? Tell her "you want to see useless, go look in the mirror" That's no way to talk about a mans Jeep! I would go with a remanufactured T-case, not try to rebuild. Get one with a slip yoke eliminator installed since your going there anyway.
I have to be nice to my wife right now since I'm temporarily unemployed. :) What is a "slip yoke eliminator "?

Check out car-part.com.
I looked up the TC in the Raleigh area and the used cases seem to run about $3-600. There are quite a lot available in the area

Thanks. It stopped going into 4wd not too long ago. It would make a clunking noise when I drove forward, so I kept it in 2wd. I was hoping to nurse it along until I got some extra cash at the end of the month. I will to go ahead and buy a used transfer case since I have surmised I don't have the proper tools or time to overhaul it at home.
Well, just so you know, you are doing the equivalent of driving around without oil in your engine. The end result may or may not be as catastrophic, but it will die a horrible death at some point.

If it was mine and I had no money, I would pull the case and front driveshaft. Take it apart, pull the chain out of it and toss it in the trash, patch up the hole with some JB weld and aluminum sheet, put it back together with front yoke carrier installed to seal up the front hole, put fluid in it and drive it for another year.

Reactions: Bigmac
Well, just so you know, you are doing the equivalent of driving around without oil in your engine. The end result may or may not be as catastrophic, but it will die a horrible death at some point.

If it was mine and I had no money, I would pull the case and front driveshaft. Take it apart, pull the chain out of it and toss it in the trash, patch up the hole with some JB weld and aluminum sheet, put it back together with front yoke carrier installed to seal up the front hole, put fluid in it and drive it for another year.
I've got to pull it anyway, so I'll tear it open and see what's going on inside before ordering a replacement.

Craigslist used tohave those around here for 250 or less you could buy a used a one and piece it back together, as to special stools harbor freight has what your need pretty cheap, look up sye install videos and you’ll sell a lot of the details