31x10.5 vs 30x9.5 tires

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Supporting Member
Planning a set of H&R springs and a suspension refresh in the next couple a three months. Then it'll be time for new tires. I've been planning on 31-10.5s, but am wondering if I'd be better off with 30-9.5s instead. "Trail Jeep" that will see mild mud from time to time. 4.0, 6 speed, 3.73 gearing, Ecco wheels.

Or is the difference so minuscule that it doesn't really matter either way? I kinda like the idea of narrower tires...

There isn't a huge difference in size , in mild mud I wound run 10.5 .
That being said I love running narrower tires, but I drive in Snow.
Probably not much snow on the Hall Road :ROFLMAO:
Go with what you want and can get a good deal on, with suspension upgrades maybe the 10.5 give you more choices !

The main thing is to have FUN with your TJ !

Reactions: Zorba and D M
My previous 97 TJ on 30x9.5s for a visual reference.
jeep2.jpg

The Duratracs in my avatar are 235/85R16. I haven't measured them but some tire comparison site said they are 31.75" x 9.25". I've had no problems in mild mud and the only time I was stuck so far in wicked mud I doubt wider tires would have helped.

I do wish they weren't load range E but that's a different subject.

31x10.50R15 is a good tire choice that would work well for you. Add the H&R springs, a BL, then enjoy the Jeep. FWIW, 4WheelParts has a buy 3 get one free going on now. I just picked up a set of MT ATZ P3s for my 31" tire build.

View attachment 234681
Nice looking tire. I'm working on finishing up a 2.5" lift and will soon be in the market for tires. I'll add these to the list of possibilities.

Reactions: Irun
Planning a set of H&R springs and a suspension refresh in the next couple a three months. Then it'll be time for new tires. I've been planning on 31-10.5s, but am wondering if I'd be better off with 30-9.5s instead. "Trail Jeep" that will see mild mud from time to time. 4.0, 6 speed, 3.73 gearing, Ecco wheels.

Or is the difference so minuscule that it doesn't really matter either way? I kinda like the idea of narrower tires...
31 10.50 15
All day long.

That said mild mud means what?
All non mud tires suck in mud. There isn't much difference between all season and all terrain tires. Really there isn't.
They don't clean until you hit the pavement again.
They both suck in mud. Really bad.

Mud puddles with hard bottom??? Different story. You can run slicks if you wanted.

Some real mud though...you should consider a mud tire.

I'd definitely get 31x10.50.15 though. If the sky ever fell abd you had to rid them they'd sell in a day. Everyone knows someone that can use a nice set of 31's.

Just my .02 of good old cash

Yea, I'm leaning towards mud tires. I'm not wanting to play in deep mud, or lots of any kind of mud - BUT - mud is a fact of life here in Florida - and I'm not interested in getting stuck in it!

Reactions: Rubicon88 and Irun
I went with 31x10.50 mud tires on my Jeep. I’ve had A/T tires on my Silverado for many years and the few times I’ve been in mud with them they filled up with mud quick and stayed that way. LOL.

I don’t go looking for mud, but I feel like the Jeep is more likely to see it than my truck does that’s why I went that direction. Obviously they are louder on the road but it doesn’t bother me. Twice a year we drive it to the Outer Bank in NC, which is about 7 hours of driving. My wife on the other hand, doesn’t really care for all the noise the Jeep provides. LOL

Reactions: Irun
I think with Eccos you would be best served with 30-9.50 at the MOST. How much room do you have now between your sidewall and rear upper spring perches?

Rubicons with 31’s have 1/2” more offset wheels. There is much more to it than just being able to fit that size tire. The offset effects scrub radius which is an important factor in handling and steering and should be matched to the tire radius. Has to do with the angle of the ball joints and the steering knuckle/hub design.

There are many unintended consequences of making changes to our Jeeps that most are blissfully unaware of. Consider that Jeep has engineered/selected wheels for TJs with at least three different offsets and that are only 1/4” different. There IS a reason...even though “31s fit”.

I would consider swapping out to Gamblers, Canyons, or Ravines that are designed for 30” tires if you want 30” tires to maintain proper steering geometry. If you want 31’s, I would suggest Moabs, also designed & engineered correctly for that tire size.

Reactions: tombicon
I am not a fan of wheeling in Florida for the simple fact of never knowing how deep the "mild mud" puddle will be.
If your tires cant reach the bottom, locked or unlocked, all terrain or mud terrain, narrow or wide, you are not getting out of that shithole.
At the same time, i have completed all of the tail runs on 31.5x10.4 all terrains, without use of lockers.

Completely through or completely stuck, my two polar opposite experiences on N.FL trails.
Wider or narrower, at or mt, would have made little to no difference.

Here is the fun one, before calling it a day, decided to wash wheels off in ordinary puddle that was no different than any other ancle deep puddle around it...
0210316-12415.png

Last edited:
I am not a fan of wheeling in Florida for the simple fact of never knowing how deep the "mild mud" puddle will be.
If your tires cant reach the bottom, locked or unlocked, all terrain or mud terrain, narrow or wide, you are not getting out of that shithole.
At the same time, i have completed all of the tail runs on 31.5x10.4 all terrains, without use of lockers.

Completely through or completely stuck, my two polar opposite experiences on N.FL trails.
Wider or narrower, at or mt, would have made little to no difference.
Yeah that's what I have learned about Florida where I'm moving in about a year... going kicking and screaming. I'll look forward to doing my wheeling out of the state, perhaps Georgia.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Yeah that's what I have learned about Florida where I'm moving in about a year... going kicking and screaming. I'll look forward to doing my wheeling out of the state, perhaps Georgia.
Georgia or Tennessee has some of what you are used to, but less dust and more slippery ground/rock to deal with.
Moving from perfect weather into tropics, that is a change and half. Best of luck with adaptation.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford