32RH hesitation with RPM surge between 1st & 2nd

ltcarter

I’m am experiencing a hesitation with RPM surge right after 2nd gear is engaged. The shift occurs at roughly 1500 RPM and seems smooth until the hesitation with 250ish RPM surge occurs.

Additional Notes:
-The shift into 3rd is perfectly smooth.
-Fluid level is good (checked at operating temp while in neutral).

Let’s here thoughts and troubleshooting ideas. Thank you!

Yyou are having the same issue I had a while back. I added a slight bit of oil, maybe 1/2 quart, and it has shifted great since then.

Yyou are having the same issue I had a while back. I added a slight bit of oil, maybe 1/2 quart, and it has shifted great since then.

I should have included that I just recently added a quart of ATF+4 to bring the level to the good range. It was previously a little low.

Did that help immediately or take some mileage to act right?

Last edited:
A surge into 2nd could be low fluid, or could be the kickdown band slipping or being slow to apply. I would start by making sure I was good on fluid, and then think about a band adjustment. You might also see how it behaves if you try to downshift into 2nd from 3rd, as it would apply the kickdown band as well.

A surge into 2nd could be low fluid, or could be the kickdown band slipping or being slow to apply. I would start by making sure I was good on fluid, and then think about a band adjustment. You might also see how it behaves if you try to downshift into 2nd from 3rd, as it would apply the kickdown band as well.

Thanks, @hear. Downshifting from 3rd to 2nd did not replicate the issue. However, I’ll read up more on the band adjustment idea to verify it isn’t that.

I’ve doubled checked (times a few 😀) the fluid level and all seems good there after adding a quart of ATF+4 recently.

Thanks, @hear. Downshifting from 3rd to 2nd did not replicate the issue. However, I’ll read up more on the band adjustment idea to verify it isn’t that.

I’ve doubled checked (times a few 😀) the fluid level and all seems good there after adding a quart of ATF+4 recently.

Most people say that doing a band adjustment isn’t necessary under normal circumstances, so take my advice with a grain of salt. The procedure is easy and it’s in the FSM but we can talk you through it if you go that route.