32RH transmission cooler question

xxthebombxx

TJ Enthusiast
Hello all. Just to update from the last post, I did get the built jeep that was local to me. I've had a blast the last couple days playing with it, cleaning, and servicing it. I have a question regarding a tranny cooler. I know that most threads end up referencing the derale kit that is made for the tj. I already had a hayden 679 laying around for another vehicle, figured i would use it on the jeep. Searching led me to a couple posts with the 679, but not a lot of information about the install. I believe what I found most referenced a red tj. What is the "V" support bar in front of the condenser for? Can it be removed? Seems like it is in the way to add a cooler there, but people have done it so I'm wondering if they just took it out or not?

I also read chris's write up for plumbing the cooler. Just to verify, I would pull off the passenger side hose connection from the radiator (32rh), run hose from that point to the new cooler, lower connection when placed sideways, then from the top connection run a new hose to where the original hose went. This sound right?

20210827_173347.jpg

20210828_145249.jpg

PSC makes a kit that mounts a single or dual cooler in place of the V-bar. You want some form of support there, as you don't want the grille (and radiator itself) to flex much. The plate bolts in place of the V-bar.

@mrblaine also uses a lot of higher-end Setrab coolers with great success. Much better product, but also like 4x the price tag of a Derale.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
PSC makes a kit that mounts a single or dual cooler in place of the V-bar. You want some form of support there, as you don't want the grille (and radiator itself) to flex much. The plate bolts in place of the V-bar.

@mrblaine also uses a lot of higher-end Setrab coolers with great success. Much better product, but also like 4x the price tag of a Derale.
Thank you for the information! I have the radiator and condenser unbolted. I will leave the support bracket in there. Can a cooler then be mounted in front of the bracket? Can you zip tie the cooler to the bracket? Never installed one, and dont want to mess it up. Not sure if zip ties will put pressure on the plates/fins and damage them.

I don't know that I would use one on the 32RH, they are not as hard to cool as the 42RLE. I won't use anything but the Setrab on the 42 since they run way too hot.

Reactions: Steel City 06
I was able to get it mounted. Used some padding in front of brace, then just used the plastic mount things that came with it. Holds really tight actually, doesnt move. The supplied hoses are too short though, so wasnt able to finish tonight. Does the 32rh have a temp readout that can be read by obd2? The PO was over at my house today talking more about his jeep. The tranny fluid is pretty new, and clean. He felt like he never had issues with heat in the tranny. Did the rubicon a couple times and other hard trails. Am I just wasting my time adding a cooler? I just want to keep it running good as long as possible.

There's no temperature sender in the 32RH, you'll need to install that on your own. Mounting the sender in the pan is the best way to go.

Adding a cooler good if you tow and/or you drive up long grades, or do a lot low-speed 4Lo rock crawling in warm or hot conditions. I added Derale cooler with a fan to both my previous 32RH and present 42RLE.

I was able to get it mounted. Used some padding in front of brace, then just used the plastic mount things that came with it. Holds really tight actually, doesnt move. The supplied hoses are too short though, so wasnt able to finish tonight. Does the 32rh have a temp readout that can be read by obd2? The PO was over at my house today talking more about his jeep. The tranny fluid is pretty new, and clean. He felt like he never had issues with heat in the tranny. Did the rubicon a couple times and other hard trails. Am I just wasting my time adding a cooler? I just want to keep it running good as long as possible.
Without a gauge, neither of you know anything.

Reactions: pc1p
There's no temperature sender in the 32RH, you'll need to install that on your own. Mounting the sender in the pan is the best way to go.

Adding a cooler good if you tow and/or you drive up long grades, or do a lot low-speed 4Lo rock crawling in warm or hot conditions. I added Derale cooler with a fan to both my previous 32RH and present 42RLE.
How often did the Derale fan have to run to help drop the fluid temp on the three speed slushbox?

Congrats on the purchase, OP. Was that the jeep with the short looking rear driveshaft, and have you checked it?

Reactions: WSS

On your 32RH. the derale unit comes with a temp sensor on it to kick on the fan. did you tap the pan and add a different sensor for the fan?

I used a small tube and fin Derale cooler that I got for free and it has made a 15-20* difference. This was a pretty bottom of the barrel cooler that I think costs $40 new. I took the same long trip two days in a row of consistent 70-75 mph speed with ambient temperature of about 105* outside. Trans temp went from 195 to 175.

I used a small tube and fin Derale cooler that I got for free and it has made a 15-20* difference. This was a pretty bottom of the barrel cooler that I think costs $40 new. I took the same long trip two days in a row with ambient temperature of about 105* outside. Trans temp went from 195 to 175.
If I had a 32 that only ran up to 195 in those ambient temps, I wouldn't even bother to put a cooler on it provided the sender was in the pan.

What were the before and after temps?
Went from ok to better. Heat (IR) gun on the pan showed a 10ºf difference on same trail(s). The differential was what I was hoping to see. I do not have a sensor attached to give real time.

If I had a 32 that only ran up to 195 in those ambient temps, I wouldn't even bother to put a cooler on it provided the sender was in the pan.
Sender is in the pan right where you brazed in the bung. Wheeling with @Chris our temperatures stay identical. He has a 42 and the Setrab cooler which if I’m not mistaken makes a 50* difference? Goes to show how much hotter those 42s run.

Reactions: Chris
Sender is in the pan right where you brazed in the bung. Wheeling with @Chris our temperatures stay identical. He has a 42 and the Setrab cooler which if I’m not mistaken makes a 50* difference? Goes to show how much hotter those 42s run.
We've seen that cooler make from 50 to 100 degrees difference depending. I'd count on 40ish.