33” tires: 4.56 or 4.88 gears?

Good to know, thanks. Years ago when I had my 97 I was advised against anything lower than 4.56 in my Dana 30 by a reputable drive line shop...

I believe the “small pinion” worry is more of a old school concern. Meaning technology and quality has improved. I’ve never heard of anything braking a Dana 30 4.88 or 5.13 pinion.

Reactions: reddvltj
Good to know, thanks. Years ago when I had my 97 I was advised against anything lower than 4.56 in my Dana 30 by a reputable drive line shop...
Stop listening to anything said by that shop. 4.88 and 5.13 gears are commonly run in the Dana 30 without problem. I'd stop referring to them as a "reputable shop" since they're giving out bad information. Being able to install gears doesn't make you an expert in all things gear related.

Stop listening to anything said by that shop. 4.88 and 5.13 gears are commonly run in the Dana 30 without problem. I'd stop referring to them as a "reputable shop" since they're giving out bad information. Being able to install gears doesn't make you an expert in all things gear related.

TJ_2000 hit the nail on the head Jerry. As I said it was "Years ago" thanks for your input though. I know that particular shop has more than made a name for themselves in the off-road and racing industry so I think it's safe to say they know what they are doing.

I was very happy with 4.56 with 33s and a 5sp but if you aren't over 60 then I'd go 4.88s. I jumped up to 35s and wish I'd gone 4.88s in the first place.

Reactions: reddvltj
Old thread, but same problem. I need to re-gear/locker, plus need new tires soon. I would love to have the option for 35" in the future, but am happy with 33" so far. I want to do more overlanding and road trips that take 6-8 hours on/off highway. I have 800lb trailer. I have 2000TJ/4.0L/D30D44/5speed. This is not a daily driver.

1.) What would life be like with 4.88 on 33"? 2800-3000 rpm at 70mph is fine with me. Would it be too low and too jumpy/touchy around town?

Old thread, but same problem. I need to re-gear/locker, plus need new tires soon. I would love to have the option for 35" in the future, but am happy with 33" so far. I want to do more overlanding and road trips that take 6-8 hours on/off highway. I have 800lb trailer. I have 2000TJ/4.0L/D30D44/5speed. This is not a daily driver.

1.) What would life be like with 4.88 on 33"? 2800-3000 rpm at 70mph is fine with me. Would it be too low and too jumpy/touchy around town?
You’ll be fine. I ran 4.56 gears on 31s for 6 months til I went 33s. It was fine. RPMs do run a touch high but nothing crazy. If you’ll eventually go 35s then definitely go 4.88.

I chose 4.56 because I take the highway anywhere from 15 minutes to 6 hours to get where I go to wheel. Most commonly about an hour each way. I'd also never regeared a Jeep before so I didn't have enough experience to go on.

In hindsight, I would have gone 4.88 and removed some of the roadblock for if I ever choose to go to 35's, because around here (7-11k elevation with 7% grade highway passes not uncommon) I think 4.56 will be too high. It may not matter, because my 5 year plan is to find an LJ to swap most of my build onto, but most likely will have an auto and I'll end up regearing again to 5.38 due to the ridiculous OD.

In your situation, almost never going highway or over 60, I would definitely go 4.88.

Reactions: ranger101
5 speed owners I feel have a little more difficulty than 6 speed owners. A properly geared 6 speed has three very useful gears at freeway speeds, while a 5 speed only really has two.

AX-15/5.13/35s @ 75 mph
3rd - redlines at 71 mph
4th - 3878 RPM
5th - 3024 RPM
NSG370/4.88/35s @ 75 mph
4th - 4611 RPM
5th - 3689 RPM
6th - 3098 RPM

So a 6 speed owner can easily shift straight to the power band (4th gear) for climbing hills and passing, or to a high torque band (5th gear) for minor hills at 70-80 mph.

A 5 speed owner is limited to one downshift option until less than 70-ish mph. 4.88 vs 5.13 might provide a slight bit more usefulness of 3rd gear, at the cost of 4th and 5th torque. That said, 3rd gear would be the perfect on-ramp merging gear. Roll out of the toll booth in 2nd, shift to 3rd on the way up, and run it up to redline and merge.

Do 4.88 so it will work better in a month when you switch to 35's. :D
That just kills me!! I have been baking on 33 or 35 for a few months. The locker decision is driving the commitment, but I don't think I need 35, yet. I am about resolved to 33 again with the gear/locker upgrade. I heard someone say "let the rig, determine your needs".

I have not hit a wall, so think I can wait 3 years (tire life) to explore my limits more. The 35 change comes with a lot of baggage/costs, also. Really, I don't want to do the gears again.

p.s., I thought the trailer tow should be a factor???

Can you PM me a reputable shop in Escondido area?

Can you PM me a reputable shop in Escondido area?
I don't know of one close by since the one gear guy I liked at Offroad Warehouse (Kenny) is now the store manager and no longer does gear jobs. Which is why I took my Jeep up to Corona just off the I-15 and had Martin at Mobile Gears to do mine. He is absolutely IMHO the best gear guy I know of. He drives his truck around during the week doing gear installs for 4x4 shops and on Saturday sets up shop at a garage in Corona to do gears. He has a sterling reputation including at Revolution Gear & Axle.

Mobil Regearing card.jpg
Mobile-Gear-Truck.jpg.jpg

5.13 is better

Well if he's doing 33's, 4.88.

35's = 5.13

33's now and MAYBE 35's later, well yeah, a gray area. :D

All I can tell you is I did 33's once. Called the tire shop the next day to see if I could exchange for 35's. Of course not! Please stop laughing at me Mr. Tire shop guy!

So bought 35's about 3 months later and sold the 33's at a huge loss.

YMMV

I don't know of one close by since the one gear guy I liked at Offroad Warehouse (Kenny) is now the store manager and no longer does gear jobs. Which is why I took my Jeep up to Corona just off the I-15 and had Martin at Mobile Gears to do mine. He is absolutely IMHO the best gear guy I know of. He drives his truck around during the week doing gear installs for 4x4 shops and on Saturday sets up shop at a garage in Corona to do gears. He has a sterling reputation including at Revolution Gear & Axle.

View attachment 168678View attachment 168679
I heard of a good guy in Corona. Thanks for the tip!

I'd only consider 4.88 for 33's if your Jeep seldom sees the highway. Even offroad 4.56 is more than enough for 33's considering most offroading is done with the transfer case in 4Lo. Only if you think you may eventually go to 35" tires would I go 4.88 with your 5-speed manual transmission and 4.0L engine.

Ron your 4-speed automatic changes the usual recommendation for an axle ratio, due to its exceptionally steep .69 Overdrive ratio. At a MINIMUM for your 33" tires you need 4.88 but personally I'd go 5.13. Yes 4.56 is perfect for 33's with a 5-speed manual but don't pay any attention to recommendations made for those with manual transmissions.

My TJ has the same 4-speed automatic with 35" tires and its previous owner cluelessly only regeared it to 4.88 and it was constantly lugging on the highway, I had to keep turning the overdrive off. I regeared last year to 5.38 which really helped a lot, my mpg even went from <12 mpg to >14 mpg.

Bottom line is for your 33's I'd definitely go 5.13 if it was my TJ.
i agree - i have the 4:88 with the 33inch and 5th is still a special occasion for me...but i have a 2.4 4 cylinder

People run 5.13 gears in the Dana 30. As long as you buy quality and not eBay special $50 gear sets. You don’t have much to worry about.

I agree. I searched and researched a ton and read the recommendation of Jerry Bransford and Garza (both members here and both with very well respected reputations) regarding the 5.13 gears and the super 35 kit from Revolution was going to hold together. I have the 4 banger, so I needed to know if the 5.13 was wasted money or not since it would have a very small pinion.

From everything that I read, there is no way that you can go wrong with Revolution with any of their gear sets. Lot's of folks swear by them and not just for Jeeps.

View attachment 168678View attachment 168679
Martin did my gears and rear locker for me in Corona About 3 years ago. He’s a cash in hand, hand shake kind of guy. He does good work and knows his stuff. I would like him to do a front locker for me and a tummy tuck. Money seems to be the issue though, for some reason (Jeep) I don’t have any.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford