33x10.5 tires versus 33x12.5 tires

Are they loud on pavement?
I wouldn't call them loud. they have a highway hum to them but it is by no means obnoxious. driving around town is fine too. Honestly my soft top windows make more noise. I'm running an 1.5in spacer. This is with stock fenders. They have just a little poke.
JhEepAZ.jpg

How much wheel poke do you get running 33x12.5’s on 15x8’s with 3.75” BS and Rubi flares?
Working on getting my TJ through outta province inspection and full tire coverage is required. I’ve got 1.5ish” of poke right now (with Rubi flares I think) but by the looks of it the PO put on 15x10 wheels rather than 15x8 with 33x12.5 Duratracs, I THINK 4” of BS. So would switching to a 15x8 even with 3.75” BS get rid of at least enough of the poke that they won’t care during inspection? Don’t really wanna go to a 10.5 either since I’ve got a full size spare (and I like the look of 12.5’s).

Last edited:
How much wheel poke do you get running 33x12.5’s on 15x8’s with 3.75” BS and Rubi flares?
Working on getting my TJ through outta province inspection and full tire coverage is required. I’ve got 1.5ish” of poke right now (with Rubi flares I think) but by the looks of it the PO put on 15x10 wheels rather than 15x8 with 33x12.5 Duratracs, I THINK 4” of BS. So would switching to a 15x8 even with 3.75” BS get rid of at least enough of the poke that they won’t care during inspection? Don’t really wanna go to a 10.5 either since I’ve got a full size spare (and I like the look of 12.5’s).
Borrow some stock or at least legal wheels and tires for the inspection, once passed you can likely do anything.
Which province ??

Borrow some stock or at least legal wheels and tires for the inspection, once passed you can likely do anything.
Which province ??
Saskatchewan, ya that is a thought I had, but I recently read about a several guys that have been pulled over here for tire poke so in one sense I might be better off getting it legal anyways.
I see your from the wet coast eh? That’s where I actually picked up my TJ.

How do they define full coverage? Like full coverage of the tread, but sidewall bulge can still stick out? I had what I would call full coverage with 11.5" tires on 8" wheels with 5.25" backspacing in Sahara flares. I now have 12.5" tires on 8" wheels with 4" backspace and standard flares and I'm not even close.

If you think it through, if you keep the same backspacing, going from 10 to 8 wide is moving the centerline in by an inch, so it should pull them in by that much, but still leave you a half inch to go, so you either need half inch more fender, a half inch more backspacing, or an inch less tire width.

How do they define full coverage? Like full coverage of the tread, but sidewall bulge can still stick out? I had what I would call full coverage with 11.5" tires on 8" wheels with 5.25" backspacing in Sahara flares. I now have 12.5" tires on 8" wheels with 4" backspace and standard flares and I'm not even close.

If you think it through, if you keep the same backspacing, going from 10 to 8 wide is moving the centerline in by an inch, so it should pull them in by that much, but still leave you a half inch to go, so you either need half inch more fender, a half inch more backspacing, or an inch less tire width.
Regs basically say it has to cover the width of the tire so I’d think that’s with sidewall bulge. I’m betting they wouldn’t even notice 1/2” much though, that would probably only be the sidewall bulge poking. I wish there were more 15x8 wheels with 4” BS out there, I was eyeing the AR23’s but they’re only 3.75”. One I found with 4” that I liked were the Qtec Rubicon Xtremes, those are actually pretty nice but shipping to Canada through them brings up the cost more than I’d like.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
That looks good
Thanks! I polished the wheels then painted/clear coated them myself. I don't mind saying it was a pain in the ass but worth it in the end! Still have to do the spare as it's under a cover, but I'm waiting until I upgrade my rear bumper so I can match the tire size.
The process was lengthy... I'll be happy to share details if your interested later.

Thanks! I polished the wheels then painted/clear coated them myself. I don't mind saying it was a pain in the ass but worth it in the end! Still have to do the spare as it's under a cover, but I'm waiting until I upgrade my rear bumper so I can match the tire size.
The process was lengthy... I'll be happy to share details if your interested later.
The color of those rims looks awesome.

Reactions: Sierra Cam
i have 12.5. I find they seem to “float” a bit on pavement that is older with mild groves. Awesome off road! But I am actually thinking of selling mine and going to 10.5 as I have drive at least 30 Minuets to get off road with new laws in my area.
My TJ is running on Falken AT/3Ws in 33”/12.50R15 and I love them! I would have bought 10.50s just to have less dirt, mud & beach sand slung in & on the Jeep, but that’s a minor concern; just my personal preference. Anyway, the only 15” AT tire that I could find in 10.50 were the BFG KO2s & there was an availability issue at the time of my purchase. Of course, MT tires are widely available in 10.50, but I didn’t want to go there. Once again, just personal preference.

My TJ is running on Falken AT/3Ws in 33”/12.50R15 and I love them! I would have bought 10.50s just to have less dirt, mud & beach sand slung in & on the Jeep, but that’s a minor concern; just my personal preference. Anyway, the only 15” AT tire that I could find in 10.50 were the BFG KO2s & there was an availability issue at the time of my purchase. Of course, MT tires are widely available in 10.50, but I didn’t want to go there. Once again, just personal preference.

Same tires same size.. Happy so far.
Wish the PO put 15x8 instead of 15x10. Love the look of the ProComp 69s but would like them even more if they didn't stick out so far.

Reactions: Mudflat