35's and regearing

Depending on area. The price can vary a whole lot by area. Out on the west coast you have had a family speed shop on every other corner for the last 75 years. You have quality people with generations of knowledge.
But in other parts of the country about all we might have is our local Monroe Muffler that has been around for more than a decade. And the manager is 23 years old with no mechanical knowledge other than getting the credit card machine to work on the 8th swipe.
I drove over 60 miles to go to a shop that advertised in a national truck mag. I was thrilled I was finally going to find a real 4×4 shop. When I got there it was a 1 bay garage with a 1/2 bay for the front end and back end. Used to be part of a dry cleaners (you kids go ask your parents) and no, they don't do 4×4 work. Roof too low, lift to small. They will (may) put a muffler on your car if you bring it with you, and it looks easy. Seriously.
I asked why they bothered to put an add in a 4wd magazine with the word '4×4' in their shop's name.
'Don't know' said the 20 something girl with a ring in her nose and 2 in her eyebrow. "Don't people get pissed off when they show up here?" 'Yea. Most of em.'
So my guess is it must be some sort of a tax right off or a cocaine inport/export business.

Looong story... if you are stuck in a dead zone like I am, find a competent shop and be happy to get the job done right. Trying to save $300 can end up costing a whole lot more.
And if you are a shop looking to expand... pretty much anywhere in upstate NY will ensure you a thriving business. Unfortunately the state will over tax, over regulate, and over burden you until you move out of NY too.

Depending on area. The price can vary a whole lot by area. Out on the west coast you have had a family speed shop on every other corner for the last 75 years. You have quality people with generations of knowledge.
But in other parts of the country about all we might have is our local Monroe Muffler that has been around for more than a decade. And the manager is 23 years old with no mechanical knowledge other than getting the credit card machine to work on the 8th swipe.
I drove over 60 miles to go to a shop that advertised in a national truck mag. I was thrilled I was finally going to find a real 4×4 shop. When I got there it was a 1 bay garage with a 1/2 bay for the front end and back end. Used to be part of a dry cleaners (you kids go ask your parents) and no, they don't do 4×4 work. Roof too low, lift to small. They will (may) put a muffler on your car if you bring it with you, and it looks easy. Seriously.
I asked why they bothered to put an add in a 4wd magazine with the word '4×4' in their shop's name.
'Don't know' said the 20 something girl with a ring in her nose and 2 in her eyebrow. "Don't people get pissed off when they show up here?" 'Yea. Most of em.'
So my guess is it must be some sort of a tax right off or a cocaine inport/export business.

Looong story... if you are stuck in a dead zone like I am, find a competent shop and be happy to get the job done right. Trying to save $300 can end up costing a whole lot more.
And if you are a shop looking to expand... pretty much anywhere in upstate NY will ensure you a thriving business. Unfortunately the state will over tax, over regulate, and over burden you until you move out of NY too.
Unfortunately the state will over tax, over regulate, and over burden you until you move out of NY too.

This sounds a lot like CA

Not wanting to tell what gears to get, since mine is a Rubicon 6 speed. But I can say I would not provide the shop doing the work any gears or kits at all. If anything goes wrong the first day out or 6 months later I can tell you the shop will say it's the defective parts YOU supplied, and so much for any warranty

Was going to start typing these exact same thoughts until I came across this post.

It has also been my experience in small business that the price charged for the completed work will be set for materials, labor, overhead, and some profit. If you take out the markup they make on the materials, the labor cost may need to increase to cover the total cost of the project. Sourcing the best prices on parts may work best for self-installas. YMMV.

Reactions: N757KF