Time to get rid of the Dana 35

With decades worth of shit about Dana 35 that is floating on internet, it is no wonder that 8.8 makes it to the top of alternatives.
Once people calm down, educate themselves about shortcomings of stock Dana 35 and issues associated with 8.8 swap, the mighty Dana 35 turd all of the sudden becomes a golden nugget.

On other hand, when you can grab a fresh Dana 44/489 from ECGS or equivalent, for only $1000 more compare to $ it would take to upgrade Dana 35 into S35, lots of thinking arises
Eureka! lol this is exactly where I am. I have to say this forum has been pretty awesome in educating me!

Reactions: JMT
Whats your favorite front locker for Dana 30? You confident in 35s on a Dana 30 with locker?
My personal favorite is the No-Slip lunchbox locker made by Powertrax. It is virtually unnoticeable in 2wd, it only turns into a locker once you shift into 4Hi or 4Lo. Another good one is the Aussie. The main difference is the Aussie makes a clicking/ratcheting sound while you make turns when in 2wd. The No-Slip is silent through turns, like when you're in a parking lot.

A Dana 30 is fine with 35" tires, it's fine with a locker. But when you have both of those together it's not hard to break a front shaft as I did, though it was a VERY tough trail and I had the steering wheel all the way over when I gave it a bit too much gas. The front axle shafts are under the greatest stress when the steering is cranked hard to the side.

Replacing the front shafts with 4340 replacements is a good easy upgrade that stops that from being a worry.

Reactions: Sancho
The 8.8 is no longer nearly as popular of an upgrade as it once was. Very few recommend going that way now.
yessir, I definitely see that after reading on here. I think eastblock was saying, the shortcomings of the 8.8 have shown the S35 is actually a pretty good upgrade for most people.

My personal favorite is the No-Slip lunchbox locker made by Powertrax. It is virtually unnoticeable in 2wd, it only turns into a locker once you shift into 4Hi or 4Lo. Another good one is the Aussie. The main difference is the Aussie makes a clicking/ratcheting sound while you make turns when in 2wd. The No-Slip is silent through turns, like when you're in a parking lot.

A Dana 30 is fine with 35" tires, it's fine with a locker. But when you have both of those together it's not hard to break a front shaft as I did, though it was a VERY tough trail and I had the steering wheel all the way over when I gave it a bit too much gas. The front axle shafts are under the greatest stress when the steering is cranked hard to the side.

Replacing the front shafts with 4340 replacements is a good easy upgrade that stops that from being a worry.
Thankyou! this is now my plan for my front axle. I can keep jeep all original but upgraded and still run 35s.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Call Revolution and ask for Brook Hilton, or I guess anyone there will be fine. I had an email conversation with him and they were starting to get axle shafts back in stock. I dunno if that includes the 1541H 30 spline shafts for a Dana 35 but it's worth a call.
https://www.revolutiongear.com/prod..._tj_cherokee_xj_30_spline_upgrade_super35_kit
Is this the revolution kit you like? Says 33 spline, idk if that's a typo. But it also gives the option to add the arb locker and order together, so either way I assume shafts will fit locker.

https://www.revolutiongear.com/prod..._tj_cherokee_xj_30_spline_upgrade_super35_kit
Is this the revolution kit you like? Says 33 spline, idk if that's a typo. But it also gives the option to add the arb locker and order together, so either way I assume shafts will fit locker.
I don't see where it says 33 splines, I only see where it says 30 splines, but that's just the shafts. Get with Ricky @Garza at www.4lowparts.com who is a long-term dealer for Revolution Gear's products. He's a Jeeper and member of this forum, and he probably still gives some kind of a discount for forum members.

Is there an upgrade to 30 spline front shafts?
There is but you absolutely do not need to go beyond 27 spline 4340 shafts up front. The front axle seldom sees more than about 50% of the load the rear axle sees on a regular basis. Once I upgraded my previous TJ's front shafts to 27 spline 4340 shafts, I had no more problems running 35's and a front locker on even extremely difficult trails.

Reactions: FarminAg
There is but you absolutely do not need to go beyond 27 spline 4340 shafts up front. The front axle seldom sees more than about 50% of the load the rear axle sees on a regular basis. Once I upgraded my previous TJ's front shafts to 27 spline 4340 shafts, I had no more problems running 35's and a front locker on even extremely difficult trails.
I don't see where it says 33 splines, I only see where it says 30 splines, but that's just the shafts. Get with Ricky @Garza at www.4lowparts.com who is a long-term dealer for Revolution Gear's products. He's a Jeeper and member of this forum, and he probably still gives some kind of a discount for forum members.
So it shows out of stock on revolution gears webpage and 4lowparts. I haven't called Ricky being that its Sunday. But Revolution gear will let me order from there webpage if I add the ARB locker... interesting, b/c it says out of stock if you try to checkout with just the axle shafts

So it shows out of stock on revolution gears webpage and 4lowparts. I haven't called Ricky being that its Sunday. But Revolution gear will let me order from there webpage if I add the ARB locker... interesting, b/c it says out of stock if you try to checkout with just the axle shafts
Yeah stock is a problem for everyone. Call Ricky Monday, he's a really good guy and he'll be able to tell you what's up and figure out what would work best for you. Keep the Eaton E-Locker as a great alternative to the ARB too.

Reactions: SvtLdr and FarminAg

Hey Jerry, what do you think about the LockRight version that Powertrax makes? Have you seen issues with it?

Hey Jerry, what do you think about the LockRight version that Powertrax makes? Have you seen issues with it?
The Lockrite has been around forever, it's good though it's probably not quite as smooth or as easy to install as the Aussie, and it's certainly nowhere nearly as quiet on the street as the No-Slip from Powertrax is that doesn't click or ratchet as the others do.

Reactions: Xposure

I have the Aussie.... but would rec the powertrax over the aussie.

Why?

On my last trip, at 11k feet, hours in backcountry ... my transfer case shifter was failing, which had me very worried about my tc.

With my senses on high, listening for any sounds from the jeep.... the ratcheting sounds did my nerves no favors.

Between the unwanted grindings.. pops... and whines from the jeep.... the added clicking from the locker was not cool.

I have the Aussie.... but would rec the powertrax over the aussie.

Why?

On my last trip, at 11k feet, hours in backcountry ... my transfer case shifter was failing, which had me very worried about my tc.

With my senses on high, listening for any sounds from the jeep.... the ratcheting sounds did my nerves no favors.

Between the unwanted grindings.. pops... and whines from the jeep.... the added clicking from the locker was not cool.
That's definitely something that would get to me too, yeah added clicking from the front locker would just add to the tenseness of that kind of situation. I know I certainly really (!) liked my No-Slip which was quiet and worked really well offroad. I really couldn't even tell it was there except when I was in 4Lo or 4Hi.

Reactions: Sancho
Yes, I know, this forum is ANTI 8.8.
I have any 01 Sport and an 03 rubicon.
4 years ago I bought the 01 sport with 3.07 which had to go. I have this jeep at my cabin near the Boundary Waters. Just some soft trails and scenic drives.
Found a 1999 explorer with the 8.8 and a friend had a set of 3.73 foot the Dana 30.
3.73 are great for me with 31's. So let see, an 8.8 axle with the correct gears and disc brakes already in it for $100 and free 3.73 for the 30, no brainer. Weld the brackets on the 8.8 and done.
So had them both on hoist last spring, the ruby 44 locks like a tooth pick compared to the 8.8. The ring gear is larger and so are the axle shafts. So hate all your want, love the 8.8

Yes, I know, this forum is ANTI 8.8.
I have any 01 Sport and an 03 rubicon.
4 years ago I bought the 01 sport with 3.07 which had to go. I have this jeep at my cabin near the Boundary Waters. Just some soft trails and scenic drives.
Found a 1999 explorer with the 8.8 and a friend had a set of 3.73 foot the Dana 30.
3.73 are great for me with 31's. So let see, an 8.8 axle with the correct gears and disc brakes already in it for $100 and free 3.73 for the 30, no brainer. Weld the brackets on the 8.8 and done.
So had them both on hoist last spring, the ruby 44 locks like a tooth pick compared to the 8.8. The ring gear is larger and so are the axle shafts. So hate all your want, love the 8.8
200.gif

I mean, good for you ... but how do you associate "anti" and "hate" with a simple fact that many have tried 8.8 and many have came back with a common conclusion - 8.8 is not worth it in comparison to what it takes to make it work, if things work out.