Time to get rid of the Dana 35

thekevin

I have some money set aside to do some upgrades on my TJ and first off is getting rid of the Dana 35. It's an 03 4.0/42RLE/3.73s/31x10.50s right now. I have fairly new 3" BDS springs so I think I am just going to go to 33's. I am wanting to get some input so I can get my money spent in the right areas.

Right now I have tracked down a couple of rear axles that are close enough for me to get.

$1250 - Dana 44 3.73s - would have to regear and put a locker in
$1550 - 8.8 4.88s - already set up for a TJ and has factory limited slip

I would also of course be regearing the Dana 30 up front and plan on going with a lunchbox locker in it.

Another option is I found for $2800 an 8.8 with 4.88s and limited slip and a HP Dana 30 4.88s and a locker already in it that is all ready to bolt right in.

I am pretty handy and have a ton of tools but I don't weld and I don't do gear swaps.

IMG_2229.jpg

Reactions: 02GreenTJ
The Dana 44 is the way to go... plus with those gears you can drive the Jeep until you can afford to regear.
While the 8.8 has the 4.88s you still have to deal with cost of replacing the limited slip, bearings and setup much the same as the Dana 44.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I have some money set aside to do some upgrades on my TJ and first off is getting rid of the Dana 35. It's an 03 4.0/42RLE/3.73s/31x10.50s right now. I have fairly new 3" BDS springs so I think I am just going to go to 33's. I am wanting to get some input so I can get my money spent in the right areas.

Right now I have tracked down a couple of rear axles that are close enough for me to get.

I would also of course be regearing the Dana 30 up front and plan on going with a lunchbox locker in it.

Another option is I found for $2800 an 8.8 with 4.88s and limited slip and a HP Dana 30 4.88s and a locker already in it that is all ready to bolt right in.

I am pretty handy and have a ton of tools but I don't weld and I don't do gear swaps.

View attachment 265570
What's your reason for getting rid of the Dana35 instead of building it? What kind of wheeling are you into?

Reactions: tworley and Zorba

View attachment 265570
X4 or is it 5 , go Dana 44 for the win.

For 33s I would do a Super 35 kit, maybe a Super 30 kit, and be happy with it. Only real reason to go to a Dana 44 in that case would be if you're running a big V8 or flogging it. If you're jumping it you'll probably want D60s or bigger anyways.

The Dana 35 would have better clearance and lower drivetrain losses anyways.

Also, with the 42RLE and 33s, you'll want at least 5.13 gears.

For 33s I would do a Super 35 kit, maybe a Super 30 kit, and be happy with it. Only real reason to go to a Dana 44 in that case would be if you're running a big V8 or flogging it. If you're jumping it you'll probably want D60s or bigger anyways.

I’ll second, sounds like a Super 35 kit would be a great option to throw in to the mix!

Reactions: SvtLdr

X2 to this and the Super 35 recommendation.

Reactions: SvtLdr and Zorba
I was thinking the super35 was only going to be good for 33s and if at some point I decide to go to 35s or larger then it would just be wasted money. The super35 kit and install won’t be a whole lot cheaper than buying a 44 and regearing will it. I think a buddy of mine has an OX locker for a 44 he said I could have so that will offset some cost as well. I am still not 100% sure I am not going 35s along with this upgrade anyway. I plan on doing the mod to shut my OD off at startup too because a few days ago it started doing a 400 to 500 rpm flash when it shifts into OD but that will be a separate post if I can’t get that figured out.

Not going to lie, I really thought I was going to hear most people say 8.8 so I am really glad I asked now.

I don’t do any crazy wheeling but I go a lot by myself so whatever I can do to not break something while I am alone I am all for it.

The 8.8 used to be a very popular swap. With the wide availability of TJ D44s and also modified JK D44s, it has fallen out of favor as there are quite a few modifications required to make it work well. There still is some aftermarket support for it in the TJ application, but not nearly as much as the Dana 35 and TJ Dana 44.

The 8.8 itself won't be phased out for a very long time. Ford continues to make many variants of it and is including them in many new cars. However, the aftermarket support for YJ and TJ retrofits has significantly diminished.

Most people either go for a Super 35, TJ Dana 44, or JK Dana 44. Often Dana 60. Dana 70 and 80 swaps do still occur on occasion. Custom axle assemblies are also becoming more popular.

Reactions: SvtLdr
I was thinking the super35 was only going to be good for 33s and if at some point I decide to go to 35s or larger then it would just be wasted money. The super35 kit and install won’t be a whole lot cheaper than buying a 44 and regearing will it. I think a buddy of mine has an OX locker for a 44 he said I could have so that will offset some cost as well. I am still not 100% sure I am not going 35s along with this upgrade anyway. I plan on doing the mod to shut my OD off at startup too because a few days ago it started doing a 400 to 500 rpm flash when it shifts into OD but that will be a separate post if I can’t get that figured out.

Not going to lie, I really thought I was going to hear most people say 8.8 so I am really glad I asked now.

I don’t do any crazy wheeling but I go a lot by myself so whatever I can do to not break something while I am alone I am all for it.
Sounds reasonable !
Have fun figuring this out !

OK if you like limited gear ratios. :)
14 bolt full floater for cheap , strong , and backed by the aftermarket.
I was being somewhat facetious - but there are plenty of "Jeep Friendly" ratios available for the H072/H052 axle. Of course, it needs to be cut down, and is a shit ton of work to adapt to a Jeep, not to mention being hard to find these days, blah, blah...

Completely indestructible though!

Reactions: ColoJeep
I was thinking the super35 was only going to be good for 33s and if at some point I decide to go to 35s or larger then it would just be wasted money.
Super35s are reportedly good for 35s and lockers. The same as a Dana 44.

The super35 kit and install won’t be a whole lot cheaper than buying a 44 and regearing will it. I think a buddy of mine has an OX locker for a 44 he said I could have so that will offset some cost as well.
If the cost ready-to-run is the nearly the same, go with the Dana 44. If not, consider the Super35.

The Super 35 from Revolution Gear is more up to 35's and locker on very tough rock crawling trails. Its 1541H 30 spline axle shafts are slightly stronger than the carbon steel 30 spline shafts that come in a Dana 44.

Ok, so a couple more questions. Is 1st through 3rd the same in the 42rle and the 32rh? If so what is the recommended gear for 35s with the 32rh. Right now I leave OD off unless I am on the 4 lane and running 60+ anyway which is less than 5% of my driving in the Jeep. I would prefer just to do the OD off mod and never even have to think about it.

Ok, so a couple more questions. Is 1st through 3rd the same in the 42rle and the 32rh? If so what is the recommended gear for 35s with the 32rh. Right now I leave OD off unless I am on the 4 lane and running 60+ anyway which is less than 5% of my driving in the Jeep. I would prefer just to do the OD off mod and never even have to think about it.
32RH Ratios:

1 - 2.74
2 - 1.54
3 - 1.00

42RLE Ratios:

1 - 2.84
2 - 1.57
3 - 1.00
4 - 0.69

That is actually not a bad plan at all and I’ve told myself that if I ever bought a 42 equipped Jeep I’d do the same - effectively gearing it like it’s a 32RH and then just driving it OD off all the time.

With that plan you also end up choosing a gear ratio that is taller and will lessen driveline rpm and potential unwanted harmonic vibrations.

With all that said, 4.56 would be the ratio you’d want for 35’s in that case.

32RH Ratios:

1 - 2.74
2 - 1.54
3 - 1.00

42RLE Ratios:

1 - 2.84
2 - 1.57
3 - 1.00
4 - 0.69

That is actually not a bad plan at all and I’ve told myself that if I ever bought a 42 equipped Jeep I’d do the same - effectively gearing it like it’s a 32RH and then just driving it OD off all the time.

With that plan you also end up choosing a gear ratio that is taller and will lessen driveline rpm and potential unwanted harmonic vibrations.

With all that said, 4.56 would be the ratio you’d want for 35’s in that case.
Interesting plan, I am not a huge automatic fan but have a few thoughts/questions to consider.
Does the 42RLE have a locking torque converter ? And if so does it lockup in 3rd gear if OD is shut off?
If the TC isn't locked will the trans run extremely hot at crusing speeds in direct 3rd. gear ?
Maybe an automatic fanboy can weigh in on these concerns.

I like the concept of compensating a work around for dealing with the Bonneville approved OD ratio in a Jeep.