4.0 engine knock

Rotella is just like conventional oil. If the oil was strange I'd suspect coolant contamination from something like a cracked head. Coolant is like sand on your bearings. Just a guess.

Reactions: Airjunky
I always heard coolant in the oil looked like a chocolate milkshake.

Anyway, got it all out, torn down and parts have been ordered. Cylinders look great, and the entire block looks great. Just the one bearing

IMG_20190626_213755067.jpg

IMG_20190626_214134155.jpg

Picked up the remanned head, resurfaced flywheel and shortblock today from the machine shop. Looking forward to assembly and install soon.
Also wrapped the header.....keep that heat on the inside.
Taking the starter and alternator in to at least be tested.

IMG_20190722_220021589.jpg

IMG_20190722_190730302.jpg

The new engine is running great. Has about 250 miles so far.... 1/2 way to the first oil change.

Got the exhaust done this weekend. The old exhaust was a header, stock mid-pipe, a glasspac & a tailpipe that was rubbing on the right, rear shock.
But no more. I wrapped the header with insulation. Then had a local shop do the rest of the exhaust. They suggested that their Flo-Pro muffler was better quality, quieter & less expensive than a Flowmaster Super 44. In the end, he's right. It still has a nice deep growl to it. But it's quite a bit quieter at higher RPM than the glasspac. Makes it a lot easier to hear the stereo!

Old glasspac

New exhaust

Last edited:
So the new engine has about 700 miles on it by now. Runs great. Engine really purrs. First oil change to remove the high zinc oil went well....came out really clean. Makes me think the valve train &/or timing chain was really noisy.

So I've been able to get other things done. Built some boxes over the rear fenders....big enough for some tools. And a spot to tie down a sleeping bag & a tent.
Also got my old rear bumper stripped, remounted separate from the receiver, then painted with bed liner. The receiver is mounted to the frame and rated for 400 lbs. Should be great for the Jetski.

IMG_20190904_192606920.jpg

IMG_20190904_192538899.jpg

IMG_20190904_192553934.jpg

IMG_20190904_192531658.jpg

Reactions: DrDmoney and Chris
Never been into the inner workings of a 4.0. Out of curiosity, the black nylon block looking part held in by the metal tabs, I could be completely wrong here but is that what is supposed to tension the timing chain? Looks a little worn.
Yea, that's the chain tensioner. It had a couple grooves in it. The chain was pretty sloppy.
The rebuild was definitely not something I was prepared to do. But was really satisfying to see progress once I got going. Ended up costing me about $1800.

Reactions: reddvltj
The builder you went through? Is he commercial or friend? Because that's a damn good deal!
Yea, he was a mobile mechanic listed in CL. He was a pain in the ass too. Didn't show up once, brought his dog, girlfriend and mother in law who sat in their car in front of the house for 2 days. It was stupid.

• Wow
Reactions: reddvltj
Yea, he was a mobile mechanic listed in CL. He was a pain in the ass too. Didn't show up once, brought his dog, girlfriend and mother in law who sat in their car in front of the house for 2 days. It was stupid.
Ok maybe not the best choice for someone who lives about 7 hours away.
o_Oo_Oo_O