4.5 inch Metalcloak springs

I love mine on and off-road. I'm not as well versed in suspension geometry yet but they work for me. Mine are 3.5" springs with their arms and it works really well off-road. This is just a poser pic from our last trip out but I have plenty of travel.

What do you love about them? What makes them better than other springs that you have tried both on and off road? What about their characteristics makes them work really well off road?

I’m genuinely interested, as I debated between them and the Currie 4” but ultimately went with the Currie.

Reactions: jjvw
Interesting. Dave never mentioned that. That red one he is building is using MC 4.5" coils on it, and he said he specifically picked them because they are so long that they won't come unseated. I didn't ask about the springs binding though.
Why not use a pair of limiting straps to prevent the springs from falling out? There's no benefit to having the suspension droop further than what the springs can stay seated with.

Why not use a pair of limiting straps to prevent the springs from falling out? There's no benefit to having the suspension droop further than what the springs can stay seated with.
If Dave is moving shock mounts, then he is taking advantage of the amount of travel the MC allow before they unseat. But there is more to that story. He is doing much much more in order to make it work. Mine with Currie LJ 4" coils and 12" Foxes is already at the top and bottom of the Rubicon's drive shaft swing. And that little bit hasn't been achieved without some trickery.

Last edited:
Right now im stripped down. Only half doors. Cheep Chinese knockoff front bumper. Engo sr9 winch on order.

Still running a crap tube rear bumper.

Plans are to eventually but rock sliders and tube fenders with a little bit of armor. Once i find something that I love.

Running 33 cooper stt pros

Right now im stripped down. Only half doors. Cheep Chinese knockoff front bumper. Engo sr9 winch on order.

Still running a crap tube rear bumper.

Plans are to eventually but rock sliders and tube fenders with a little bit of armor. Once i find something that I love.

Running 33 cooper stt pros

I meant the guy you were asking. All of that is important info to know. :)

What do you love about them? What makes them better than other springs that you have tried both on and off road? What about their characteristics makes them work really well off road?

I’m genuinely interested, as I debated between them and the Currie 4” but ultimately went with the Currie.

I went from stiff as a board 4" Skyjacker Springs to the MC 3.5". The ride is so much better and the flex is amazing. I haven't lifted a tire with MC springs like I did with the Skyjackers. I'm pretty sure I gained about .5" to 1" over the skyjackers but I have since added armor and front bumper. I'm not a suspension guru by any means and I'd probably feel the same about Currie's springs.

I went from stiff as a board 4" Skyjacker Springs to the MC 3.5". The ride is so much better and the flex is amazing. I haven't lifted a tire with MC springs like I did with the Skyjackers. I'm pretty sure I gained about .5" to 1" over the skyjackers but I have since added armor and front bumper. I'm not a suspension guru by any means and I'd probably feel the same about Currie's springs.
Did the shocks change between those two setups?

Reactions: Serbonze
No, I originally bought the shocks with the Skyjacker springs to help with the ride quality. They helped a lot in that department and with the skyjacker were nowhere near close to maxing out, now that's a different story with the MC springs.

Also as of now, I have no rear bumper, MC corner guards and rocker guards, front bumper w/winch loop and a Warn 9k winch. The MC armor was off of a buddies Jeep and is temporary, I'll be going to aluminum armor in the future.

I agree, I didn't ask him that information, but I wish I would have. He had told me that in the 4" range, MC has the longest springs, followed by Currie. He said there may me others, but those are the two he uses the most.

Yeah I can vouch for that, my currie was so hard to get seated in my driveway.
20180812_091942.jpg

Reactions: jjvw and Chris

He had limiting straps on it as well Jerry. To be honest, I’m not sure why he was doing what he was doing. Dave has a reason for doing everything he does, I should have picked his brain more.