4.5 inch Metalcloak springs

Boinked

TJ Expert
Im wondering if anyone has first hand experience with 4.5 inch springs.

Im more wondering how much of a true lift you got out of them?
How long have you ran them?
Any sagging that you have noticed?

Im on the fence between the 3.5 and the 4.5 springs. If its going to compress or not?

The only thing I can possibly tell you about Metalcloak springs is that Dave of Jeep West (a very well known guy in the Jeep world) has said he won't run anything from Metalcloak except their springs.

He's told me that the 4.5" Metalcloak springs are longer in length that any he has found, and for that reason he likes them because you don't have to worry about a spring coming unseated.

I can't comment about anything else though, so perhaps someone else will chime in. I believe @Serbonze has a MC lift, and I think @bobthetj03 might as well.

Reactions: Boinked
MC rear springs need a bunch of bump stop extension to keep them from binding. If you need to add BS extension for the springs, it might be worth looking at different springs in order to keep up travel.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
MC rear springs need a bunch of bump stop extension to keep them from binding. If you need to add BS extension for the springs, it might be worth looking at different springs in order to keep up travel.

Interesting. Dave never mentioned that. That red one he is building is using MC 4.5" coils on it, and he said he specifically picked them because they are so long that they won't come unseated. I didn't ask about the springs binding though.

I’m running Currie springs and MC arms.

I can tell you from talking with the guys at MC that their springs will give you at least an inch more than the advertised lift unless you have full armor, skids, winch, and front and rear heavy bumpers. The springs are designed to compensate for all of their accessories. They thought that my light TJ would get about 5” of lift from the 3.5” springs. I ended up with about 4.5” from the currie 4” springs.

Reactions: Chris
Sorry, I don't run them. I have OME springs. I do have MC's control arms though.
From what I've heard from others, they run a bit taller than advertised, and are meant for a heavy rig.

Interesting. Dave never mentioned that. That red one he is building is using MC 4.5" coils on it, and he said he specifically picked them because they are so long that they won't come unseated. I didn't ask about the springs binding though.

Dave is probably building around them so as to take into account their dimensions and travels. It would be interesting to know the bind and free lengths of their 3.5" and 4.5" coils.

Dave is probably building around them so as to take into account their dimensions and travels. It would be interesting to know the bind and free lengths of their 3.5" and 4.5" coils.

I agree, I didn't ask him that information, but I wish I would have. He had told me that in the 4" range, MC has the longest springs, followed by Currie. He said there may me others, but those are the two he uses the most.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
I agree, I didn't ask him that information, but I wish I would have. He had told me that in the 4" range, MC has the longest springs, followed by Currie. He said there may me others, but those are the two he uses the most.
Which of the two springs have the longer travel?

I almost went with their 4.5" springs back in Sept. I couldnt find that information available anywhere, so I decided to hold off on the curries.

I'm interested, but it doesn't really matter for me.

74E4B83B-5FA6-4BD5-906F-3543FF2D36BC.jpeg

Found it!
https://www.metalcloak.com/TJ-Wrangler-4-5-Front-Coil-Spring-Dual-Rate-p/7066.htm

Metalcloak 3.5"
Front
Free Length: 22.5"
Travel: 16"
Solid Height: 6.5"

Rear
Free Length:: 19"
Travel: 12.5"
Solid Height: 6 .5"

Metalcloak 4.5"
Front
Free Length: 24"
Travel: 14.75"
Solid Height: 9.25"

Rear
Free Length: 20.375"
Travel: 13.625"
Solid Height: 6.75"

Currie 4"
Front
Free Length: 22.6"
Travel: 14.1
Solid Height: 8.5"

Rear
Free Length: 17.75"
Travel: 13.25"
Solid Height: 4.5"

LJ Rear
Free Length: 18.25"
Travel: 13.75"
Solid Height: 4.5"

I went out and measured my Currie 4" just now to calculate the solid height.

The numbers are interesting. If you are building the suspension around the spring travels, Currie gets you a lot of travel favored towards up travel. Metalcloak gets you a bit more up front, but favored towards down travel.

Either way, you will need to think about where that travel will be in relation to where the shocks can go and what the drive shafts and other things will allow. Currie's bias towards up travel works better with my setup. MC rear springs won't play well with the Rubicon's short rear drive shaft. If the shocks allow, they droop way past the breaking point of the double cardan joint.

Last edited:
MC rear springs won't play well with the Rubicon's short rear drive shaft. If the shocks allow, they droop way past the breaking point of the double cardan joint.

Makes me wonder how Dave has it setup on that red TJ. Though that is a non-Rubicon, so it has a 231, not a 241OR.