4 door question

The liberty isn’t a real jeep tho? It’s jeeps version of the Honda CRV. Sure you can lift it and put big tires on it but it has no lockers that I’m aware of unless yours does. 2 door jeeps are regarded as true jeeps and that opinion won’t change ever more than likely, but the 4 door for certain ppl make sense. The 4 door wrangler will def out wheel a liberty haha.

I don't have the Liberty anymore. It was a time bomb waiting to explode. LOL My 2 door TJ doesn't have lockers either. I would have to buy them and put them in. LOL Just like one can do for a Liberty.

https://www.rocky-road.com/jeep-liberty-arb.html

Since this is a TJ forum, whats the consensus on a 4 door TJ?

The Dakar does a better job at being a 4 door TJ than most others because the rear doors are proportionally smaller and fit the body. Just like the JKU did.

As far as aesthetics is concerned, the JL fixes many of the things that made the JK look odd to me. The JL was a true Wrangler from day one. :)

The JL 4dr is much better looking than the JKU. Was skeptic over the new body style until I saw the rubi 4dr with 35"s and a 2in lift. plain sexy

Reactions: jjvw
From a purely CURIOUS place, what's the opinion of a 4-door from hard core Jeep enthusiasts? Is it a true Wrangler or isn't it? I've heard plenty of arguments for both sides...I'm wondering what y'all think.

Willy found a stick of dynamite
Didn't know about it quit
Curiosity never pays
It rained Willy 7 days 😉

I'm going to go back in time a little bit and start from the start.

The first Wrangler I saw I didn't like I didn't even like the name.

Wranglers were jeans and we wore Levi's.

Plus it had square headlights.

Then I bought one on impulse and it was really the best Jeep I had up to that point in terms of drivability comfort and being something you could drive year round.

My CJ7's with ragtops were never warm in the winter, most drove like crap, all were fun.

Then I dropped out of the Jeep scene for a long time and saw the four-door come back.

I instantly didn't like it I thought it looked like a Humvee.

Then when I saw them lifted with pretty good sized tires I knew they had something.

At the end of the day you cannot deny sales and public acceptance.

My only rub with them is the fact that I really think they need a bigger power plant than what they have.

At more than 60% of the weight of a TJ they shouldn't have 10% less displacement.

I'm not saying they need a Corvette motor, but something around 350 /375 stock horsepower with smooth tractable power would be great

Another thing that's going on is there's just a different mindset... And I think this goes on all the time with vehicles that are really liked...you have people like many of us that are emotionally attached to what they have , that know so much about these , we can't turn loose , and aren't going to for a long time .

So that's where I'm at now... I'm too vested in the TJ to throw too much of my affection anywhere else.

That doesn't make the jk/jl bad at all .... I just got my heart into making my TJ all I can and enjoying it all I can .

Last edited:
Regardless of whether a 4-door Jeep looks good or not, it just doesn't look like a Jeep. I can see why people still like them from several perspectives, but it just doesn't have that playful, agile look that 2-door Jeeps have.

Still, as badly as the 2-doors seem to be selling for Wranglers, I was pretty shocked to hear that the 2020 Bronco will be available in both 2 and 4 door options.
https://jalopnik.com/2020-ford-bronco-will-have-removable-top-and-doors-and-1833540489
I've never been a huge Bronco fan, but between the news of a 2-door option as well as it having removable top/doors, I gotta admit that I'm really looking forward to seeing what it looks like.