4 inch lift

Zjones

I’m looking to buy a 4 inch lift. Do I need to upgrade any steering components besides the pitman arm? If so what components?

I would recommend starting here:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/a-beginners-guide-to-lifting-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.733/

and don't touch your pitman arm, it'll make your drive suck. Steering changes really depend on what you're wanting to do in the Jeep, but regardless the components more or less all stay "the same" (meaning no drops or mount changes). If you want to just run on the streets in a big jeep you can probably stay stock and fix the toe. Very light usage you'd want the ZJ upgrade. Anything beyond you're into the correctlync territory with the optional BMB (black magic brakes) tie rod... and eventually for the really big boy trails hydro assist attached to the correctlync+BMB setup.

Last edited:
I’m looking to buy a 4 inch lift. Do I need to upgrade any steering components besides the pitman arm? If so what components?

I would agree you need to read that thread on lift.

If you put a 4” suspension lift, steering component isn’t the biggest issue you have, you “can” actually just adjust toe in with stock steering.

If you’re asking this, you may want to know, putting a 4” suspension. Will most likely cause issues with drive performance.

It lifts and changes everything underneath.

1. Drive Shaft angle in the rear. Lift kits lift it, but now you need to fix all the other components, possible SYE, DC Drive Shaft, Adj control arms. Extended Brake Lines.

2. Front axle Caster…will most certainly change, and needing adjustable control arms to correct for bad caster, drifting and on and on. Plus dialing in pinion and Caster so your jeep isn’t a massage chair.

3. Trac Bars. Front and back, you will most certainly need adjustable track Bars to correct your axle side to side.

I’ll assume the 4” lift comes with shocks and bump stops as well.

4. Your Transfer Case linkage for shifting may be a problem, so you’ll need to look at correcting that, cable shifter but some make the linkage work, I didn’t.

5. Wheels and tires, or just tires, why lift if you can’t get GM bigger tires.

6. Oh yeah front extended brake lines.

I did all this and more, ha, so I’m fully aware at the bleed you go through.

Just saying, going to 4” and mentioning a drop pitman, I would highly suggest a lot of reading on this site because this tells me you were in my boat when I got here. And my rig drove like dog chit when we got it for my son and the P.O. had done a lot of this nonsense without doing it right.

A 4" lift, done right, and upgrading all the other stuff needed to keep the Jeep driving well with that lift is a good way to spend 10k. Ask me how I know.🤣

I’m not adding it up, not doing it, because if it’s on a spreadsheet or paper, my wife can see it.

Now do that and a CJ5, Ugh. Louis Vuitton purse helped, ha.