42RLE automatic transmission slipping

Tomdakota

I have an 05 automatic 4.0 with 136,000 miles. In the just few weeks the transmission has started to slip randomly. Its only done it while driving at heart 45mph. The motor suddenly revs, but it's ok within a few seconds. My code reader gives me a transmission control module code of 82 and says "Teeth Count Error". Of course my luck nothing turning up pertaining to that code on Google. The Jeep had 95,000 miles when I bought it and I'm not sure of preventative maintanence before that. About 1,000 miles ago I had the transmission serviced with a flush and new fluid. It didn't start to slip right away, but also never did it before this.

Screenshot_20220610-051702_BlueDriver.jpg

Reactions: Wranglerfix
Are you sure it isn't PO882?
JEEP code possible causes Faulty Transmission Control Relay, Transmission Control Relay harness is open or shorted, Transmission Control Relay circuit poor electrical connection.

Are you sure it isn't PO882?
JEEP code possible causes Faulty Transmission Control Relay, Transmission Control Relay harness is open or shorted, Transmission Control Relay circuit poor electrical connection.

I attached a screenshot to the original post. I get P errors for everything else, but this on is simply

Mark at Wranglerfix is the guy to talk to for sure but first, since you mentioned the transmission is slipping, have you checked its ATF level yet?

The ATF level is checked via the transmission's dipstick that comes out from under the firewall on the passenger side. Start the engine before checking the level, the engine MUST be running while you check the ATF level. Make sure it's all the way up to the full mark, being low can and will cause transmission slippage.

If it's not completely full, insert a small funnel into the dipstick tube and add enough ATF+4 to bring it up all the way to the Full mark. Use no other type of ATF, only ATF+4 is correct. 'Tis better for an automatic transmission to be slightly overfilled than be slightly underfilled. I routinely run mine about 1/2" quart over the full mark so it can't suck air and slip during steep climbs.

Been awhile since I started this thread, but life lol. I just wanted to update that I purchased a new PCM from wrangler fix and it put my Jeep into limp mode, but after messaging Mark at wrangler fix he immediately called me to help determine a fix for the issue. My local dealer reflashed the new PCM for $100 and my transmission issue is completely resolved. Before replacing the PCM I also got random CEL codes that didn’t even pertain to my TJ, those are completely gone as well. I can’t say enough good about the product wranglerfix is putting out or their level of customer service. I would highly recommend them to anyone with PCM issues.