Slipping Transmission?

Mora

TJ Enthusiast
So, I just bought my first Jeep. 2005 Wrangler, SE. 4.0L Automatic Transmission. It has 65k miles on it. I’ve only had it for 2 weeks. I noticed when driving that when I was in a drivethrough for food, the car would randomly accelerate at times. I was going up a hill to my buddies place tonight and I noticed while going up the car would also accelerate randomly. Almost as I pushed down more on the gas pedal when I didn’t. Any thoughts of what this could be?? I feel like 65k miles is too low for the transmission to start slipping/start to possibly need to be replaced. I did code check by turning the key 3 times and the code P0700 came up but nothing after. It immediately just said done after.

Edit:I’m driving home right now and it’s not wanting to shift at all. Just keeps going up in RPMs

Last edited:
P0700 is commonly seen with one or more shift solenoid codes. This may be as simple as low fluid due to a transmission leak, or a failure of the transmission on the extreme side of the spectrum.

When a transmission is failing, it is not uncommon to see metal flakes in in the fluid. These flakes clog shift solenoids and the valve bodies and can result in the P0700 code. When excessive metal buildup is found in the transmission, it is due to mechanical wear and can be an indication the transmission needs rebuilt or replaced.

Reactions: Mora
P0700 is commonly seen with one or more shift solenoid codes. This may be as simple as low fluid due to a transmission leak, or a failure of the transmission on the extreme side of the spectrum.

When a transmission is failing, it is not uncommon to see metal flakes in in the fluid. These flakes clog shift solenoids and the valve bodies and can result in the P0700 code. When excessive metal buildup is found in the transmission, it is due to mechanical wear and can be an indication the transmission needs rebuilt or replaced.
So, the car isn’t wanting to shift at all right now when driving home. Just keep going up in RPMs

Agree with Oldguy...
I would check the level and color of the transmission fluid...
The color should be pinkish red, but IF the color appears brownish..... it's time to take the Jeep in to have the transmission fluid flushed and the filter changed.
Once the shop drops the pan to change the filter; they can check the bottom of the pan for metal particles.

Agree with Oldguy...
I would check the level and color of the transmission fluid...
The color should be pinkish red, but IF the color appears brownish..... it's time to take the Jeep in to have the transmission fluid flushed and the filter changed.
Once the shop drops the pan to change the filter; they can check the bottom of the pan for metal particles.
Will low fluid cause it not to shift at all?

Make sure you check with the engine running like @Jerry Bransford says. The code you saw is just a generic transmission code letting you know that the TCM has more detailed information. You need to get a real scanner hooked up to read the full transmission codes.

Was the engine running while you checked the ATF level? If the engine wasn't running the dipstick will misleadingly show a higher ATF level than really exists.
Yeah I had the engine running and made sure I was on a flat surface to get an even measurement. It’s weird, it shifts then after that initial first shift it’s not wanting to shift anymore. It’s more of a jolt if anything.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Make sure you check with the engine running like @Jerry Bransford says. The code you saw is just a generic transmission code letting you know that the TCM has more detailed information. You need to get a real scanner hooked up to read the full transmission codes.
I’m having someone come by to check the code tomorrow. Funny enough, one of my family members transmissions just went out on Friday. Do you think it’s possible that it could be a bad (needing a new/rebuilt) transmission? I mean it only has 65k miles on it. I feel like that’s pretty low for something of that magnitude to happen.

05/06 TJ PCMs are well known to have software bugs that cause issues for your 42RLE transmission. Talk with Mark at www.wranglerfix.com who can tell you if it sounds like that problem. They came out with a software fix for the 05/06 transmission controller which is integrated into the PCM.

05/06 TJ PCMs are well known to have software bugs that cause issues for your 42RLE transmission. Talk with Mark at www.wranglerfix.com who can tell you if it sounds like that problem. They came out with a software fix for the 05/06 transmission controller which is integrated into the PCM.
Sounds great! I'll go ahead and contact him right now. I'll let you know what happens.

So, it's looking like it's the PCM. A couple of people told me it may just be the input speed sensor. I'm going to go ahead and replace that and if that doesn't fix the issue, then it for sure is the PCM.

I had P0700 as well but when I purchased an app that let me read transmission codes as well it gave me P0750. My understanding of 0700 is that it's telling you there's an additional code to read on the transmission itself. For me it ended up being the shift solenoid pack.

Jerry, I have this same problem with my 05 42rle. I talked to Mark and he said it didn't sound like a computer issue. I cleared the code last weekend and drove it all day with no problem. This morning it made it about 2 miles before throwing P0750 and into limp mode. Any thoughts ?
Thx.

First thing to check is your transmission's ATF level and the quality of the ATF. Is it bright clear red looking and without a burnt smell? Any metallic particulates in the ATF on the dipstick?

Check your ATF level by starting your engine and leaving it running with the transmission in Park. The engine MUST BE RUNNING while checking the transmission's ATF level. Make sure the ATF is all the way up to the full line, being below the full line can cause problems/slippage. It's far better for an automatic transmission to be slightly overfilled than underfilled. If it's low bring it up to the full mark with ATF+4, no other type of ATF is correct. If it doesn't say "ATF+4" in big letters on the front of the ATF bottle it's the wrong stuff.

First thing to check is your transmission's ATF level and the quality of the ATF. Is it bright clear red looking and without a burnt smell? Any metallic particulates in the ATF on the dipstick?

Check your ATF level by starting your engine and leaving it running with the transmission in Park. The engine MUST BE RUNNING while checking the transmission's ATF level. Make sure the ATF is all the way up to the full line, being below the full line can cause problems/slippage. It's far better for an automatic transmission to be slightly overfilled than underfilled. If it's low bring it up to the full mark with ATF+4, no other type of ATF is correct. If it doesn't say "ATF+4" in big letters on the front of the ATF bottle it's the wrong stuff.
It looks bright red and smells very clean. It is up to the COLD full mark and its been about 2 hrs since I drove it.