42RLE just started sloppy shift from 3rd to 4th

Have you checked that its ATF is at the full mark? The engine MUST be running while you check the transmission's ATF level. It's far better for an automatic transmission to be slightly overfilled than underfilled any at all. If it's low use only ATF+4 to bring it up to the full mark.

I have, how long in operation do you consider “hot” compared to ”cold”? When the engine is at op temp, is that hot? How many miles driven? its been in the 90s here

thank you all for the help!

Do you have any issues whatsoever with it going into 2nd? 2nd & 4th gears use the same 2/4 holding clutch so If it was a clutch or piston apply problem there I would expect similar behavior in the 1-2 shift. If 3rd gear works fine I would not suspect the overdrive clutch, which already applied when it goes to shift into 4th.

I don't know enough about the various solenoids to do any sort of troubleshooting there.

View attachment 349361

I also just realized that to go into 4th the Underdrive clutch has to un-apply while the 2/4 holding clutch applies. My guess is that it's taking too long for one or both of those to happen. Beyond that, I have no idea. :)

I also just realized that to go into 4th the Underdrive clutch has to un-apply while the 2/4 holding clutch applies. My guess is that it's taking too long for one or both of those to happen. Beyond that, I have no idea. :)

im at a loss, guess I’ll drive on

....and then you never followed up.

Definitely want to see a good video of what you're both describing.

I dropped it because the symptoms fell off dramatically after replacing the IAC, and that made no sense to me. It still has me nervous to flush the transmission...
I can say that filling the transmission all the way to the full line at operating temp was something helped with it a while back, but for whatever reason, the IAC has made huge difference.

I dropped it because the symptoms fell off dramatically after replacing the IAC, and that made no sense to me. It still has me nervous to flush the transmission...
I can say that filling the transmission all the way to the full line at operating temp was something helped with it a while back, but for whatever reason, the IAC has made huge difference.

Agree it makes no sense. At least not yet anyway. But it’s always nice to get some sort of resolution on an issue.

Reactions: Frankred

That will be next for me. Maybe the IAC is old and sluggish briefly letting in too much air? I dunno

That will be next for me. Maybe the IAC is old and sluggish briefly letting in too much air? I dunno

Clean the IAC and its air passages by spraying no less than 1/3 of a can of throttle body cleaner into the throttle body at idle RPMs. The engine will die when the IAC gets flooded with the cleaner but that's ok just start the engine again. Don't raise the rpms above idle or the cleaner will bypass the IAC.

Jerry just pull the air filter hose and blast it into the throttle body from there? how do you recommend doing this? Slop and strady fog or blast it in there ?
The IAC will suck the cleaner in through its air passage inlet port seen here. Use your own judgment on how much to aim at that inlet port.

TB & TPS Sensor Locations.jpg

Reactions: Stockli
It's normal. The 42RLE checks the input and output shaft speed very carefully to see if anything is wrong. It even releases the lockup when the A/C cycles to smooth things out. If anything was even a tiny bit outside of normal you'd get a light. I'd personally forget about it and stop staring at your tach so much. I watched the video a few times and don't see anything worth looking into. That trans does complicated stuff, best not to worry too much about it. If you really are concerned about any of the clutches a good scan tool can read the CVI which tracks their wear but from what I see you don't need to do that.

It's normal. The 42RLE checks the input and output shaft speed very carefully to see if anything is wrong. It even releases the lockup when the A/C cycles to smooth things out. If anything was even a tiny bit outside of normal you'd get a light. I'd personally forget about it and stop staring at your tach so much. I watched the video a few times and don't see anything worth looking into. That trans does complicated stuff, best not to worry too much about it. If you really are concerned about any of the clutches a good scan tool can read the CVI which tracks their wear but from what I see you don't need to do that.

My version of the problem, in it's worst form, assuming it might be the 1-2 version of OPs 3-4 issue, might be a 6 step process. Take off in 1st, now 2nd, no 1st, now 2nd, no first, now 2nd. It all occurs in just a few seconds.

Even if OP doesn't have this many false shifts, I don't think it is normal.

My version of the problem, in it's worst form, assuming it might be the 1-2 version of OPs 3-4 issue, might be a 6 step process. Take off in 1st, now 2nd, no 1st, now 2nd, no first, now 2nd. It all occurs in just a few seconds.

Even if OP doesn't have this many false shifts, I don't think it is normal.
You might check the CVI numbers? The transmission is not easy for allot of people to deal with. It wouldn't be great if you suffered for months and it went on as business as usual with no change.

You might check the CVI numbers? The transmission is not easy for allot of people to deal with. It wouldn't be great if you suffered for months and it went on as business as usual with no change.

My issue with this, it just started happening. This jeep has been I. My family it came off the truck from the manufacturer. No one other than the factory even test drove it.this is why I wouldnt think it was normal.

I will drive it until I get codes, and the trans tells me it is sick. At this point if it’s going, there is t anything I can do about it as long as I keep it cool.

Does yours actually do this? It’s audible, and drives me nuts

UPDATE

Following a little tip and a past post from Jerry, I checked , re-checked, and re-checked again the fluid levels. It appeared to be right at the mark For hot. So I added a little atf+4 to bring it up ove the lines a bit to intentionally overfill a little.

after driving for a little bit the shifting issues appears to have vanished.
im not sure if the pcm and the new tps are getting along better or if the extra fluid got rid of air bubbles or something in the trans itself.

Seems good for now.

Reactions: Frankred
Yessir that is what I am talking about
It's normal. The 42RLE checks the input and output shaft speed very carefully to see if anything is wrong. It even releases the lockup when the A/C cycles to smooth things out. If anything was even a tiny bit outside of normal you'd get a light. I'd personally forget about it and stop staring at your tach so much. I watched the video a few times and don't see anything worth looking into. That trans does complicated stuff, best not to worry too much about it. If you really are concerned about any of the clutches a good scan tool can read the CVI which tracks their wear but from what I see you don't need to do tha

It appears Paul's advice was right, the OP TCM has now learned the new TPS voltage curve and everything is well. 👍