42RLE Overdrive Hard Shift

OzBro

2003 w/42rle. 76k miles. Hard shifts when downshifting from O/D. Transmission fluid was at correct level when it started occurring. Changed fluid, filter, and gasket with the correct fluid. No change. No check engine light, no codes. I don't mind doing the work, paying for work, and/or paying for parts. I'm trying to find a way to avoid doing it for no reason. So far, PCM, TCM, valve body, and solenoid pack are my leading suspects. Is there any way to eliminate or isolate any of these characters from the list? Mark at Wrangler Fix was very knowledgable, but not conclusive. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. TIA

Just starting with the basics, was the engine RUNNING and the transmission in PARK while the ATF level was being checked?

Have you plugged an external code reader in to see if there any pending transmission codes? The TJ's built-in code reader will not show pending codes.

Have you plugged an external code reader in to see if there any pending transmission codes? The TJ's built-in code reader will not show pending codes.
Do you think it would tell me anything if I took a known good transmission control module from a friend's TJ (his is an '01) and installed it in mine? Also, same question regarding the power control module?

Do you think it would tell me anything if I took a known good transmission control module from a friend's TJ (his is an '01) and installed it in mine? Also, same question regarding the power control module?
Different transmission, your Jeep would probably catch on fire and explode if you swapped the modules.

That would isolate the issue either to the TCM or to the transmission. I doubt swapping the PCMs would help.

Well, FWIW I took it to West Ave Transmissions, in San Antonio. They came highly recommended, and certainly earned their stripes in my book. They reset/relearned back to factory settings. She drives smooth as silk now, better than before the hard shift.

I had tried two methods mentioned in another thread, with neither working for me. Their computer/analyzer has some kind of magical power that go above and beyond those techniques.

Thanks for the words of wisdom.