42RLE Solenoid Pack & Valve Body Rebuild

it's not that bad of a job, I did that to mine yet I had never worked on an automatic transmission before.

First, I used the Stage 1 version of the Transgo kit, not any of the stiffer shifting versions. It shifts nicely with that kit and it works well. It includes many of the piston seals and there's a slight modification or two like slightly enlarging a hole in the valve body plate with the provided drill bit. Its instructions are very good and self-explanatory.

Note the tub of ATF-dissolvable "Assembly Goo" on the left. You'll need that to hold the pistons up inside the cylinders since they're inserted up into it and they would fall out before you could install the valve body if you didn't use the assembly grease. Make sure to get the kind that ATF will dissolve.

View attachment 168449

Where the "worm trails" valve cylinders, etc. are concerned, cleanliness is next to godliness here. I went through 3-4 cans of brake cleaner flushing everything thoroughly before reassembing it.

View attachment 168450

That's the hole you'll enlarge with the drill bit included in the Transgo kit.

View attachment 168451

The bluish-greenish thing on the right is the new solenoid pack. I'd make sure to only use Mopar.

View attachment 168452

The Mopar Factory Service Guide will be a big help, and you can Google for how various Jeepers replaced their solenoid pack. There's lots of help available out there.

You'll need to buy 1/4" and 3/8" clicker-style torque wrenches. The ft-lbs. settings are low enough that anything bigger won't be accurate. I bought mine at Harbor Freight Tools and they're $20 or less, often $10 when they're on sale. Don't let that low price fool you, they're actually very good quality with good repeatability.

Oh, there are 6-8 little nylon/plastic check valve balls that are in those worm trails. Make sure you note where yours were when you split the valve body. I bought a set of new check valve balls for a few bucks but figured out the factory ones were still fine. Probably a good idea to get them anyway, especially if you lose one.

Can anyone recommend a descent trans shop for a troubleshoot/rebuild on my 42rle? Someone with experience with this particular trans would help to make me feel better having someone wrench on my ride. I normally do all my own work but a auto trans replacement feels dangerous with my limited tools and space.
If you are looking for a transmission shop I'd try Westminster transmission, they have a good reputation and know these things well. I'd also be sure I had at least the minimum fluid level, a few of us even run an extra quart. A good transmission shop can check the clutch volume index on the transmission and see if you have worn clutches. Shifts getting worse can just be fluid level but it could also be wear on the transmission.

While I'm waiting for valve body parts I decided to do a dry run. There were a few things I learned that I didn't find anywhere else:

1. It was helpful to remove the shift cable mounting bracket from the transmission to access the left side connector (2 bolts with 13mm heads).
2. I was concerned about reassembling the shift cable to the shift shaft correctly but it only goes on 1 way as there is a flat on the shaft and on the bracket.
3. I found removing the shift console to be very helpful for accessing the right side connector and the shifter shaft. My shifter shaft was rusty and I wanted to clean it up before trying to pull it through the transmission case. Here are some photos of what it looks like with the console and access panel removed (FYI I do have a 1.25" body lift and a 1" MML):

View attachment 252400

View attachment 252401

View attachment 252402

Thanks! This is exactly what I have been searching for and I will do the same. (y)