4LO grinds / slips going down hills

Schwifty Rich

TJ Enthusiast
So I am spending some tie in Colorado and was in 4 low for some time just putting along the trails..
I started going down Imogene trail and my 4 low in 1st isn’t slowing me down at all. It’s making a free spinning noise. Reverse is the same in 4 low, just free spinning.
2nd gear in 4 low seems to work but I didn’t really test it enough to say for certain.

I do know 4 hi and 2wd both work fine.

Any thoughts on how messed up my t case is?

I wasn’t really able to replicate the problem this morning.

I’ve seem some recommend checking my cable linkage but I don’t see how it could shift MORE into 4wd low, there’s basically no play in how far back it goes.

I also noticed some ATF around my drain plug. No puddles or anything on the ground.

It seems like when I’m taxing the system it fails. I was going up some hills and things today and it was slowing me down and allowing me to crawl no problem.
The hills I was going down yesterday were much steeper.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
I just checked my cable linkage again and I’m pretty sure I fully extended it on both fittings.

I was already in 4low when it happened so it wasn’t like I had a problem shifting into it either.
7C958709-6771-438A-8A2A-F2C0A6D55607.jpeg

Looks like you may need to adjust that cable linkage. I had to adjust my Savvy linkage a number of times before I got it where it needed to be, as it was fully extended (like you're saying) in one of the positions, which was causing it to not fully engage.

Looks like you may need to adjust that cable linkage. I had to adjust my Savvy linkage a number of times before I got it where it needed to be, as it was fully extended (like you're saying) in one of the positions, which was causing it to not fully engage.

I guess if I moved the top one over it would push more forward the bottom where it connects to the lever.

Edit: this is not accurate. Moving the top just changes hand lever position and the bottom moves t case switch position

Last edited:
I guess if I moved the top one over it would push more forward the bottom where it connects to the lever.

Yep. I had to do that so many times until I finally got everything dialed in where it should be. It was kind of a PITA.

Yep. I had to do that so many times until I finally got everything dialed in where it should be. It was kind of a PITA.

Moving the top one forward makes it more clunky and harder to shift into 2wd.
Moving the bottom one makes it harder to engage 4low.

Right now I dialed the top one to the lever back a smidgen. But any major adjustments put it out of whack.

9386AE0D-2A1F-4754-BEBB-E443E14B271D.jpeg

This is a big deal, if second gear works you have a transmission issue and not a transfer case issue. Test this again!
I was thinking that too but nothing bad happened on the tame stuff we did today. 4wd hi and low both worked in all gears.

There was a time when I was shifting while in 4low. I pressed in the clutch and it made a grinding noise. But when I went into gear it went away and made sure the Jeep was in 4low.

I’ll test it on some more technical stuff tomorrow.

I was thinking that too but nothing bad happened on the tame stuff we did today. 4wd hi and low both worked in all gears.

There was a time when I was shifting while in 4low. I pressed in the clutch and it made a grinding noise. But when I went into gear it went away and made sure the Jeep was in 4low.

I’ll test it on some more technical stuff tomorrow.
Have a good time, sound like it's not too bad whatever it is. I bet something is just a little bit out of adjustment.

Adjustment was absolutely right. I had to unscrew a bit at the end by the transfer case.

No 4LO related issues today at all. I also flipped the side i had he washer on for that extra little bit.

Reactions: Chris
Awesome news, thanks for the update! I knew it must have been related to the cable adjustment. Mine was a PITA to get right. It just took a lot of experimenting.

Reactions: Schwifty Rich