4x4 Shop or Regular Auto Repair Shop?

Mora

TJ Enthusiast
So I just bought my first Jeep! 2005 Wrangler SE 4.0 with 63k miles. Very exciting news BUT there are issues that need to be addressed before using it such as rear main seals, inner axle seals, front axel housing, and engine oil pan that contain leaks. It also needs an extension to the brake line because the PO who got a lift kit didn't get an extension for the line so it's kind of just dangling. That is what the 4x4 shop said needed fixing. There could be more issues but these were the ones that were seen during an inspection of the vehicle. Only issue is that the 4x4 shop is booked up until August 21st; meanwhile, my local auto repair shop has open availability. I want to end up working on the car myself but for this one time I want to get these issues out of the way, and when/if something pops up in the future, I'll end up fixing it myself. With these types of repairs, should I just wait to take it to the 4x4 shop (who specialized in jeeps, especially modded ones, for more than 30 years), or is this something that my local auto shop can do and I shouldn't be worried about them doing it.

Edit: I'm located in Ventura County if anyone knows any good shops out here.

Last edited:
Ok, I've done both-

Here's the deal - the tj has been out of production over a decade , so it gets down to which shop has the most experienced people ... for example older mechanics..guys that were wrenching in 05 for example

Our pep boys has the best Jeep front end guy around , that's just luck of the draw , he's an old Jeep enthusiast.

Ask some questions, look for tjs in the lot , that run.

Last edited:
You need to make sure that whoever is going to do the work actually knows what they are doing. I had a local mechanic tell me, insist actually, that the transmission and transfer case have to be removed to replace a rear main seal on a 4.0L. THEY DO NOT!!!

Reactions: AndyG
You need to make sure that whoever is going to do the work actually knows what they are doing. I had a local mechanic tell me, actually insist that the transmission and transfer case have to be removed to replace a rear main seal on a 4.0L. THEY DO NOT!!!
This says it all.

I'm working on a million dollar home right now , and every window leaks...pours. Sadly , the builders were doing the installation wrong during the homes construction and didn't even know it.

That's called clueless. The shortage of technical knowledge in the trades is at a critical level.

Ok, I've done both-

Here's the deal - the tj has been out of production over a decade , so it gets down to which shop has the most experienced people ... for example older mechanics..guys that were wrenching in 05 for example

Our pep boys has the best Jeep front end guy around , that's just luck of the draw , he's an old Jeep enthusiast.

Ask some questions, look for that in the lot , that run.
The 4x4 shop has been around for 35+ years. The guy was a jeep only shop and only did modifications and repairs for jeeps. My local auto shop my family and I have been going to for years. I've spent a looooot of money at that auto shop though. Maybe I got a lemon of a car or they were the ones that kept causing the issues. Just for the seals and such, the 4x4 shop quoted me $1300 but my local shop quoted me $700.

The 4x4 shop has been around for 35+ years. The guy was a jeep only shop and only did modifications and repairs for jeeps. My local auto shop my family and I have been going to for years. I've spent a looooot of money at that auto shop though. Maybe I got a lemon of a car or they were the ones that kept causing the issues. Just for the seals and such, the 4x4 shop quoted me $1300 but my local shop quoted me $700.

$700 would be cheap for all that work. Do they warranty everything they do (against leaks in this case)?

I'd have to call and find out but I don't think that they do.

I wouldn't use them then. If they are paid to stop a leak they need to stop a leak. If they replace the pan gasket and the next day it blows all the oil out and the engine blows they have no responsibility? I know that's extreme, but wanted to make a point.

It’s always a hit or miss when someone else is working on your vehicle. I wouldn’t hesitate to have a normal trustworthy shop handle some simple stuff like that if they have some kind of warranty. these are all repairs that are pretty ”non Jeep specific” for lack of a better term. The RMS would be the hardest/riskiest of them all, but it’s not the only 2 piece half moon RMS in existence either.

One problem that can become evident when a price is low....that can mean they don't understand the complexity involved to do it right.

As far as the original question...it stands to reason that the four-wheel drive shop should have more experience.

Right now my 2003 is in the four-wheel drive shop because an exhaust manifold was not put on with the right parts by them.

It has a rough country lift...they insisted was best.

It had Bilstein shocks they insisted were best.

It has ko2 tires they were correct about.

It has a re gear that they performed flawlessly.

My point is there is no pat answer.

even if I have the best TJ mechanic in the country is he the one that's actually working on your TJ? Or is it Goober who's going to sit his wrenches on the fender without protecting the paint?

every time any of us hires anything done in today's society it's a crapshoot... And sadly some of your best people are so overrun with work they are about to lose their mind.

I'm not trying to be negative...I've been working with my hands all my life and I can tell you it is mentally and physically challenging... Technology and methods change rapidly...and at the end of the day there's no substitute for somebody that cares.

One problem that can become evident when a price is low....that can mean they don't understand the complexity involved to do it right.

As far as the original question...it stands to reason that the four-wheel drive shop should have more experience.

Right now my 2003 is in the four-wheel drive shop because an exhaust manifold was not put on with the right parts by them.

It has a rough country lift...they insisted was best.

It had Bilstein shocks they insisted were best.

It has ko2 tires they were correct about.

It has a re gear that they performed flawlessly.

My point is there is no pat answer.

even if I have the best TJ mechanic in the country is he the one that's actually working on your TJ? Or is it Goober who's going to sit his wrenches on the fender without protecting the paint?

every time any of us hires anything done in today's society it's a crapshoot... And sadly some of your best people are so overrun with work they are about to lose their mind.

I'm not trying to be negative...I've been working with my hands all my life and I can tell you it is mentally and physically challenging... Technology and methods change rapidly...and at the end of the day there's no substitute for somebody that cares.
Yeah... there are for sure a couple of places in my area who do not know what they are doing. I think I have a few places in mind where I want to take it. A forum member also reached out to me suggested a place that they go to when they can't work on their jeep.

I think I spoke to you once at your work in Ojai. You were pissed that you hadn't done your research and got a 4.0 instead of the SE. :)

Brett at Off Road Werkx in Ventura has been my go-to for things I either was not knowledgeable enough about to take on myself or didn't have the time or was too lazy to do myself. Not the cheapest shop in the world but very reasonable. He specializes in off road vehicles and knows his Jeeps inside and out.