5.25" Speakers in Dash of 97–99?

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I know we all know you can put 5.25s in place of the 4x6s in the dash. But I'm learning that this is easier for 00–06 models. Anyone on here have experience mounting 5.25s in a 97–99, and care to share the lessons learned?

I'd like to get some pods, but don't want to go with Select Increments (too pricey). The 3D options I've found only work for 00–06. Even if I just went with brackets and a baffle, I'm still wondering which brackets are sure to work on a 97–99.

The dash is the same, I don’t see why a 97-99 would be a harder install? I found some plastic adapter plates off Amazon for like 8 bucks and tossed the 5.25s in. Took maybe 12 minutes.

There's some additional steel bracing in that area of early TJs that has to be cut away with a hacksaw or sawzall to give enough clearance. I had to do that with my '97.
Ah ok, thanks for the clarification. I still can’t imagine it being that tough.

There's some additional steel bracing in that area of early TJs that has to be cut away with a hacksaw or sawzall to give enough clearance. I had to do that with my '97.

Thanks Jerry. And, no real harm done by removing that bracing? Does it serve any purpose I'd ever need?

Nice, and then regular 5.25" pods (like Select Increments) can fit just fine?
Yep.

20200815_144335.jpg

Reactions: SSTJ
Nice, thanks all. Now that I see @tworley 's pic, I'm a little surprised by how much of the speaker sits behind the dash. But if others say it's a noticeable and worthwhile upgrade, then I'll go for it.

Nice, thanks all. Now that I see @tworley 's pic, I'm a little surprised by how much of the speaker sits behind the dash. But if others say it's a noticeable and worthwhile upgrade, then I'll go for it.

I wouldn't call myself an audiophile but I'm not sure how big of a difference there really was when I added the Select Increments pods to the front speakers on my 99. I noticed a bigger difference going from having the rear speakers in a soundbar in the 99 to the separate pods in the 06. I'm sure the individual pods are a closer to ideal enclosure than the big, common bar.

Reactions: Wildman and SSTJ
I finally got around to doing this. As in the pic below, I cut the steel bracing as required.

However, the pod still won't fit on the driver's side. It bumps into the back of the headlight switch. Did any others have this problem?

@tworley, your pic looks like you would have, unless the back of that Select Increment has a careful cutaway in that spot? @freedom_in_4low, did you have to do any cutting?

I suppose I could trim to fit, but thought I'd ask before I start hacking away at the pod. Maybe this is what I get for going with an eBay 3D print option.

IMG_6756.JPG

I finally got around to doing this. As in the pic below, I cut the steel bracing as required.

However, the pod still won't fit on the driver's side. It bumps into the back of the headlight switch. Did any others have this problem?

@tworley, your pic looks like you would have, unless the back of that Select Increment has a careful cutaway in that spot? @freedom_in_4low, did you have to do any cutting?

I suppose I could trim to fit, but thought I'd ask before I start hacking away at the pod. Maybe this is what I get for going with an eBay 3D print option.

View attachment 312529
I didn't have to trim anything. If I recall, the pods had a shape to them where one side was bigger than the other (left to right). Have you tried rotating it or using the other pod?

I didn't have to trim anything. If I recall, the pods had a shape to them where one side was bigger than the other (left to right). Have you tried rotating it or using the other pod?

Thanks. Yep, I've tried rotating them. Will probably just go ahead and cut them tomorrow.