That blackheart just looks so similar to what’s on the tj now. I read the thread with the guy that designed it and he seemingly put quite a bit of thought into it. JK gear and gadgets used it on their LJ I believe.
#Andrew_the_markus on Instagram sent me this pic of how he ran his exhaust

Screenshot_20210830-181540.png

So I did a thing.
Called up Keith Lyons over at genright and ordered... Everything.

High line front fenders
Mini boat side rocker guards
Aluminum stretch rear corner guards.
Rear ext fender
Flak jacket armor

And then I ordered fox 14" coil overs.

The rear is getting a 6ish inch stretch and a 4 link.

This all started because of a loose exhaust clamp.

Last edited:
So I did a thing.
Called up Keith Lyons over at genright and ordered... Everything.

High line front fenders
Mini boat side rocker guards
Aluminum stretch rear corner guards.
Rear ext fender
Flak jacket armor

And then I ordered fox 14" coil overs.

The rear is getting a 6ish inch stretch and a 4 link.

This all started because of a loose exhaust clamp.

I think my LJ may have an exhaust hanger that needs attention if you want to fix another ;)

Awesome build can’t wait to see this phase complete.

Since the TJ isn't going anywhere for a while, I threw it's wheels and tires and one of my rentals and took it up to Smiley Rock trail, out above Jerome. After the recent heavy rains,I was told the trail for significantly harder. It was an absolute blast. Rock gardens for miles!

This is why I decided to go adapters for the TJ. This way the JL, JT, and TJ can call swap shoes in just a minute. I'll probably eventually get some beadlocks to have around for whenever I want to go wheeling

PXL_20210901_201014046.jpg

PXL_20210901_210803961.jpg

PXL_20210901_192610739.jpg

PXL_20210901_182624347~2.jpg

I've always wondered how much harder it would be to go from outboard to coilovers... My coilovers are backordered till October but they did ship the springs, so I mocked it up...

PXL_20210912_131620164.jpg

PXL_20210912_131720538.jpg

Flexed it both ways even though I only took pictures one way. Everything clears fine...

Even with the swing of a track bar
Even with a Ford 8.8.

I could have bolted on 2.0 12" coilovers no problem

And it's time for all of the link 3 brackets to come off.

For the record, the 3 link rear worked very very well. I've got zero complaints with it. I'm moving to 4 link because...

I've always wanted to make one

With the stretch there won't be room for the track bar

The swing created by the track bar will likely cause issues with the 14" coil overs

So, brackets off..

PXL_20210912_165330798.jpg

And outboard towers removed...

PXL_20210912_162609096.jpg

I had intended to cut the 3 link brackets free, slide them back 6 inches and weld them back on... Since I'm going 4 link that doesn't work... And Jesus these things are ugly. I think I can do better.
PXL_20210912_165321714.jpg

Last edited:
While waiting on parts just mocking things up. The 8.8 has been stripped of the 3 link brackets and I've got the axle as far up and as far back as it can go. I'm going to start here for determining link placement. I'm going to have to trim and reinforce the rear gas tank cross member, the 4 link brackets will need to occupy some of that space. I've seen people completely remove this cross member and replace it with some tube work... I can see that cleaning things up a bit, but I'm not sure about strength. It's a pretty beefy assembly.

PXL_20210921_200140591.jpg

PXL_20210921_200117964.jpg

PXL_20210921_200127145.jpg

I won't know for sure until the DOM shows up for a more detailed mock-up, but I'm tentatively planning on the lower control arm mounts to be directly under the rearmost body mount.

If everything goes right, I'll have a least 7" of shock shaft exposed at ride height with roughly a 4" lift equivalent.

Last edited:
Nice work.

One thought: don’t go too crazy on your up travel until you know how your wheels will stuff up into the wheel wells. On mine the tires are 100% the limitation on uptravel. To get the most out of your shock travel you want your shock uptravel to match what you tires will allow - and that way you maximize your down travel and use the full range of the shock. And note that your up travel is different at full stuff and full articulation. I set my bumpstops so that at full articuation the tires just clear the fenders.

Just a thought. You may have already accounted for that in your current placement. If so - pay no attention to the man with the Yellow Jeep…

Nice work.

One thought: don’t go too crazy on your up travel until you know how your wheels will stuff up into the wheel wells. On mine the tires are 100% the limitation on uptravel. To get the most out of your shock travel you want your shock uptravel to match what you tires will allow - and that way you maximize your down travel and use the full range of the shock. And note that your up travel is different at full stuff and full articulation. I set my bumpstops so that at full articuation the tires just clear the fenders.

Just a thought. You may have already accounted for that in your current placement. If so - pay no attention to the man with the Yellow Jeep…

I'm right there with ya! It's a delicate balancing act. I'll set bumps for full hard impacts and allow the tires to rub a little if needed. I'm going to experiment with the bump stop placement.

It seems that the further out board the bump stops are, the more they limit flex without affecting total up travel, and inversely, the closer to the center line of the Jeep the bump stop is, the less it limits flex. My old design the bump stops would stop flex well before the shock did.

Science will be required

Currently, I'm still finding the limits of the frame, links and body... My last design I had to have weird bends in all of my control arms. It worked but I didn't care for it. I'm hoping for similar performance without the goofy bends.

When the DOM tubing for the links, and all of the jjs show up, I'll be able to start really getting a feel for how everything will mesh. I have to balance the height of the coilover towers, upper links hitting floor of the tub. Lower links hitting the frame. Drive shaft angle at full compression and extension. Rear steer, separation etc.

I would really hate to have 14" coil overs and have to limit travel.

While waiting on parts just mocking things up. The 8.8 has been stripped of the 3 link brackets and I've got the axle as far up and as far back as it can go. I'm going to start here for determining link placement. I'm going to have to trim and reinforce the rear gas tank cross member, the 4 link brackets will need to occupy some of that space. I've seen people completely remove this cross member and replace it with some tube work... I can see that cleaning things up a bit, but I'm not sure about strength. It's a pretty beefy assembly.

View attachment 278572

View attachment 278574

View attachment 278575
I won't know for sure until the DOM shows up for a more detailed mock-up, but I'm tentatively planning on the lower control arm mounts to be directly under the rearmost body mount.

If everything goes right, I'll have a least 7" of shock shaft exposed at ride height with roughly a 4" lift equivalent.
What are you planning on running for a fuel pump?