I spend some time re-plumbing the On Board Air system. Its been about 7 years since it was serviced and it leaked pretty bad. This time I used DOT truck brake hoses and push to connect fittings. Very clean and easy. They should handle the temp and pressure fine.

IMG_20200428_090917.jpg

IMG_20200428_071240.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting
I wrapped up the outboard shock project. The procedure has been documented to death everywhere, so I'll keep it simple. Took it out to Broken Arrow trail near my home and flexed it in the real world so see if everything clears.

IMG_20200915_064424.jpg

The Rear tires rub the fender flares at full flex, but not enough to hurt anything. With the 12" fox RR shocks, the coils will unseat at full droop, but they are retained so they don't go anywhere. At full stuff, the same coils actually have a little left before stack height. about an inch. Sorry, I forget to grab a pic of that. If it becomes a problem, I may try to find a 3" lift spring with a free length of 16"... the JKUR rear springs I'm using are only about 15". The biggest concern is then having to add bump stops to keep the springs from over compressing. Give and take.

IMG_20200915_065101.jpg

The passenger front is hovering above the ground and so is the Driver rear.

IMG_20200915_065050.jpg

IMG_20200915_065226.jpg

IMG_20200806_181026.jpg

This was my solution to the trackbar mount. It wraps around the frame on the backside, and ties into the back of the outboard tower.

IMG_20200915_064246.jpg

That's a long-ass shock. You can see the only bump stop extension I have over the factory is the built-in Artec extension on the lower coil perch. I'm guessing 1/2" to 1" over factory.

IMG_20200915_064321.jpg

I now have 7" of up travel, and 5 inches of down travel in the rear. I put a bend in the lower control arms to clear the frame. You can see I also moved the lower frame side mounts up and inch... just fine tuning geometry. I put the body lift back on so I was able to move the upper frame side control arms up and inch, then moved the lowers to keep things where I wanted them. When I'm satisfied, I'll work on the mounts to make them look a little more refined.

Last edited:
Why no Fox shocks in the front?

Looks great though!
They are coming. The rears were tuned by full-stack, So I'm going to order the fronts from them as well so its a matching tune.

@kmas0n great work as always.

Below is info on Savvy 3" springs that I am running. Will they work for you? They have the longest free length in this height.

3" Front Springs: 20.6"
3" Rear Springs: 17"

@kmas0n great work as always.

Below is info on Savvy 3" springs that I am running. Will they work for you? They have the longest free length in this height.

3" Front Springs: 20.6"
3" Rear Springs: 17"
Thanks, I've had my eye on the savvy 3" springs. They might do it. I can't seem to find reliable stack height info

Thanks, I've had my eye on the savvy 3" springs. They might do it. I can't seem to find reliable stack height info

Dave Kishpaugh may know. Let me ask him. Will share the info here if I hear from him.

Dave Kishpaugh may know. Let me ask him. Will share the info here if I hear from him.
Thanks. You actually motivated me enough that I called and left a message at Rockjock... Which is savvy...I think. I know the brothers split into two companies. Anyways, I'll also post of they call back

Thanks. You actually motivated me enough that I called and left a message at Rockjock... Which is savvy...I think. I know the brothers split into two companies. Anyways, I'll also post of they call back

Savvy is independent company from the Currie brothers' ones - the latter is what split into two recently. From what I understood, Currie Enterprises is focused on axle building business. RockJock 4x4 is a completely separate company selling all the John Currie-developed products for Jeep suspensions.

RockJock does make the Savvy springs (exclusively for them), so you did call the right company to get the information from.

Last edited:
Reactions: kmas0n
Brian from Rock Jock called me back. They knew the free length but not the stack height. He literally said "I'm not sure, let me ask John (Currie)" and put me on hold for a minute. He said that they remember years ago pressing one flat with a forklift to find the stack height, but no one remembers the outcome. John did know that you need 2.5" of bump stop extension to run that spring.

Reactions: Ephry73
So I tried JLUR front springs in the rear of my TJ...

Free length is 18"
IMG_20201125_112240.jpg

compressed length is approx 4.5"-5" (9 coils x 0.5" per coil)

IMG_20201125_111143.jpg

Ride height is about 13" and 13" is about a 5" lift. Keep in mind I have a very light TJ. No spare, no rear seat, minimalist bumper. A heavy TJ with a hardtop, rear seat, subwoofer, heavy tire carrier, and spare tire will probably sit closer to 12"

IMG_20201125_111020.jpg

That's a little too tall for my build, so I cut an inch off of its free length. You can do this with a tangential spring end. There are several ways to end a coil spring... pigtail, box, and tangential: tangential is where the spring just stops and doesn't have any type of formed end. These can be cut. you should not cut off pigtails and square ends.

PXL_20201126_143651851.jpg

After the cut, the springs are right at 12" for ride height, 4" compressed, and 17" fully extended. Now my 12" fox RR shocks have 7.5"-8" of up travel and 4"-4.5" of down travel. I build a lower spring perch mount that the factory (JLUR) isolator fits perfectly around so the spring has a solid seat.

PXL_20201126_155516464.jpg

and the finished product...

PXL_20201126_155638217.jpg

To those who don't believe in math... I've been told that there is no way that spring is only 4" tall fully compressed... I took this picture while flexed. There is 4" between the axle pad and frame bucket (measured as close as possible to the coil. The upper and lower isolators add 0.375" - 0.5" to height and the spring still has a little left to give before all of the coils bottom out. The shock is fully compressed.

PXL_20201203_235841864.jpg