6 1/2" speakers for dash?

waltsc13655

I was told there is a way to modify a TJ to get 6 1/2" Speakers to replace the factory 4x6 speakers. Has anyone done this and can you explain the best way to do this with pictures?

Not that I've ever seen done. The space in there is just too small IMHO. You don't stand to gain much if you ask me from going to a 6.5" over a 5.5". Just get a high quality speaker like the Polk Audios and you'll be good to go.

I'm not aware of a reasonable way to get 6.5" speakers installed up front either. The usual size installed up front when the usual 4x6 size is not installed is a 5.25".

The 6.5" usually goes in the sound bar. The early bar is a drop in fit. The later sound pods require a surface mount.

Reactions: skrelnik
I purchased the new stereo upgrades from a gentleman who had his own stereo shop and said they did several of these 6 1/2" installs in the dash area and said he would send information on how to do this but he is currently traveling for his work and not home for the next week to get me the information in which when he does i will post, but I would like to begin modifications sooner and was checking to see if anyone on here has seen or done this in the past.

You may be able to fit them. The real problem is that half of your speaker is covered by the inside of the dash. FWIW, I have 5.25s in the dash, and part of them are covered by the dash as well.

As jjvw said, 6.5s for the sound bar.

Reactions: jjvw
I purchased the new stereo upgrades from a gentleman who had his own stereo shop and said they did several of these 6 1/2" installs in the dash area and said he would send information on how to do this but he is currently traveling for his work and not home for the next week to get me the information in which when he does i will post, but I would like to begin modifications sooner and was checking to see if anyone on here has seen or done this in the past.

Stuffing 6.5" speakers in the dash is certainly doable. It is just beyond the typical amount of effort most put into getting a larger speaker into that location.

FWiW, 5.25" Polks inside of Select Increments dash pods...

Reactions: JMT
You may be able to fit them. The real problem is that half of your speaker is covered by the inside of the dash.

This.

You can get a little bit more of the low end from a 6.5" and you'll easily get it out through the opening/grille, but the problem is that you're probably going to start fucking up your mids and highs. If you look at that previously-posted image, you can see that the outboard edge of that 5.25" is getting very close to the outside edge of the dash; this means that the only place for the speaker to expand is inboard. Thus, the central portion - and by default, the tweeter - is then pushed further and further toward/behind the inboard edge of the grille; depending on how the speaker is built, the grille can begin to occlude that area...and even if it doesn't, you still have the tweeter pointed at one of your knees. In other words, by stuffing the 6.5" you're making a bad location even worse.

For a better arrangement, consider a very simple stereo arrangement: a set of nice 5.25's in the dash using readily-available adapters, and if your dash allows it - i.e. no dash bar in your A-pillar - split off a pair of separate tweeters that pod-mount on top of the dash itself. Use a decent amp and crossover for these, and then locate an 8" in a tight box in the trunk...unless you need a 10", which you don't unless you're a connoisseur of Snoop, Massive Attack and/or Sarah McLachlan.

This is what I have but I made an adaptor I need these pods! I bet they help with sound quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had the inexpensive foam baffles before (now the gasket material). They were a little better than nothing. However, the rigid pods added a noticable amount of volume and clarity that wasn't there before.

Reactions: Ramrod
Do you have a quick link?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Search Amazon for Select Increments TJ dash pods. They are available for both the early and the late TJ. Adapter wiring is included.

Reactions: Ramrod
Got them today and installed, love them! I can definitely tell the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jjvw
Thanks everyone for the comments. Turns out my 2003 TJ was made in 2002 with the openings in the dash similar. There is physically no way to mount the 6 1/2" speakers in there. Evidently 2003-2006 dash openings are different. Well, the 6 1/2" Rockford Fosgates was not a loss, I plan on mounting this inside me boat! :)