97 TJ 2.5L stutter

Grant Reagin Sr

my new to me 2.5 TJ has a stutter to it. I’ve changed all fluids, plugs, wires , cap and rotor, filters etc. it never stalls but it has a distinct stutter upon acceleration like it’s not the smoothest thing in the world. Is this normal or should it be pretty smooth? There is an aftermarket cat on it and it does have headers, those may be factory tho for all I know. Any suggestions on where to look or common stutter causes?? Cleaned the iac valve as well but that would only affect idle correct??

I can say that when I had my Wrangler, the 2.5 was a smooth running engine. Very slow, but very smooth. I did all the tune up steps you did and the final piece of the puzzle was the O2 sensors, I replaced both at the same time. They seem to have a lifespan.

Reactions: KCsTJ
just ordered both the up and downstream O2 sensors, will be here tomorrow and I'll throw them in and report back! thank you all!

Thank you all much for the advice!! Replaced both O2 sensors and no more stutter at all!!! Runs smooth as silk now! Still slow, but smooth as silk!!!! Thank you all!!!!!

@Grant reagin sr, regarding your 97, you might double check the VIN for factory recalls.
I discovered a recall still due on my 97 by accident just last week
Edit: look for an E22 recall, March of 2006.
Jeep will still honor that recall

Reactions: JMT
I'm curious if either of you find that your 2.5 hates to be lugged below 2000rpm. Accelerating from a stop and revving over 3200, mine runs like a top and pulls good through the gears. Put it in 3rd or higher at say, 1500rpm and get into the throttle, she's pretty rough. It's almost like these things need a heavier or dual-mass flywheel.

I also get a gear growl that magically disappears at precisely 2300rpm, especially noticeable in 3-4-5 gears. Had it before and after the new (not rebuilt) Mopar AX5 I put in. I'm starting to think it might be the clutch disc springs.

Just comparing notes as to what's "normal" for these 4-bangers.

i have a 4.11 rear end and have not noticed any growling. it seems to run smooth as silk now. it definitely doesn't like to be lugged but i would think that normal for a low powered 4 cyl?

i did find that recall as well and will take it in next week for that, and i found a fuel system recall as well open on it

For sure!! I just wish the fuel system recall would do something about the fuel mileage as well!!! Wow, I sure hoped that this would get better mileage!! Lol

Yes, when I lug it low in 3rd and 4th it does make a growling sound. I have a remanufactured AX5, 4.56 gears.

side question, Where or how do I check to see what recalls might be out there for my 97?