97 TJ immobilizer problem solved

Sam

Right guys,

I am aware that the 1997 Wranglers in the UK have a certain immobiliser installed that is not the SKIM system installed into the 98 onwards models.

I am also aware that these May & Scofield units have problems, I unfortunately had the issue where the immobiliser would not deactivate using the key fob and the jeep was basically dead.

FEAR NO MORE! I HAVE THE ANSWER!

After lots of research I figured out a way to bypass and remove the unit eliminating the dreaded May & Scofield unit.

You are going to need a new reprogrammed ECU, I found a company called Flagship One based in NYC who sent me out a new ECU for £220 including postage. As far as I'm aware this is the cheapest I could find, they took my VIN number and basic info of the Keep gave me the quote called me up for payment and then it was just a case of me waiting for it to arrive.

Before you get all excited and throw your new ECU in there is something you need to do first, remove the immobiliser, this is located behind the guage cluster (you might have noticed thats where the click comes from when deactivating the immobiliser)

If you dont do this you risk the chance of it locking your new ECU out and you're back to square one..

To remove this is pretty simple here are the steps

1. Remove the 'knee plate' under the steering wheel. 2 screws hold this on

2. remove the long defrost panel

3. One this is done you will be able to access the screws for the plastic bezel surrounding the guage cluster. 2 on the bottom and 3 on the back near the windshield.

4. One this i removed you will be able to see the 4 screws holding the guage cluster to the dash, once you remove these the cluster pulls right out.

5. Now this is where it get interesting. You will see a blank metal plate. You will need to either try get behind where the studs are with your fingers and remove the nuts OR just drill the studs out.

6. Once you do this the plate will come away and you will see the black immobiliser attached to the back of said plate! Unplug this and (preferably) have a bonfire with it!

Now you are ready to install your new ECU

BE AWARE IF YOU REMOVE THE UNIT BEFORE YOUR NEW ECU ARRIVES YOUR JEEP WILL BE DEAD

The ecu is located behind the battery.. pretty simple to swap out just remove the battery take off the cover remove the 3 big clips, 4 screws and it comes away very easy.

I hope this helps anyone who needs it as it took me alot of work to figure all this out and put it into practice

Right guys,

I am aware that the 1997 Wranglers in the UK have a certain immobiliser installed that is not the SKIM system installed into the 98 onwards models.

I am also aware that these May & Scofield units have problems, I unfortunately had the issue where the immobiliser would not deactivate using the key fob and the jeep was basically dead.

After lots of research I figured out a way to bypass and remove the unit eliminating the dreaded May & Scofield unit.

You are going to need a new reprogrammed ECU, I found a company called Flagship One based in NYC who sent me out a new ECU for £220 including postage. As far as I'm aware this is the cheapest I could find, they took my VIN number and basic info of the Keep gave me the quote called me up for payment and then it was just a case of me waiting for it to arrive.

Before you get all excited and throw your new ECU in there is something you need to do first, remove the immobiliser, this is located behind the guage cluster (you might have noticed thats where the click comes from when deactivating the immobiliser)

If you dont do this you risk the chance of it locking your new ECU out and you're back to square one..

3. One this is done you will be able to access the screws for the plastic bezel surrounding the guage cluster. 2 on the bottom and 3 on the back near the windshield.

4. One this i removed you will be able to see the 4 screws holding the guage cluster to the dash, once you remove these the cluster pulls right out.

5. Now this is where it get interesting. You will see a blank metal plate. You will need to either try get behind where the studs are with your fingers and remove the nuts OR just drill the studs out.

6. Once you do this the plate will come away and you will see the black immobiliser attached to the back of said plate! Unplug this and (preferably) have a bonfire with it!

BE AWARE IF YOU REMOVE THE UNIT BEFORE YOUR NEW ECU ARRIVES YOUR JEEP WILL BE DEAD

The ecu is located behind the battery.. pretty simple to swap out just remove the battery take off the cover remove the 3 big clips, 4 screws and it comes away very easy.

I hope this helps anyone who needs it as it took me alot of work to figure all this out and put it into practice
Hi Sam, I'm having the same issue with a 97 TJ. Ordered unit from flagship one but didn't remove skim first so returned it. Then I got a rebuilt unit from wranglerfix, removed both may Scofield and skim but still not going. So immobiliser was removed before latest unit arrived. Any advice appreciated. Love the jeep and this has been a very frustrating problem.

Hi Sam, I'm having the same issue with a 97 TJ. Ordered unit from flagship one but didn't remove skim first so returned it. Then I got a rebuilt unit from wranglerfix, removed both may Scofield and skim but still not going. So immobiliser was removed before latest unit arrived. Any advice appreciated. Love the jeep and this has been a very frustrating problem.
Thanks for posting by the way, very helpful. Just worried I've killed the jeep by removing unit before new one arrived? Is this recoverable? The key light has at least gone out with the new unit. Both immobilisers reinstalled but jeep still seems immobilised.

@Tommy's Hi mate, unfortunately I can't help you as I didn't deal with the SKIM unit, this was the key fob unit with the receiver located behind the dash

Have you tried jumping your starter to see if the jeep actually runs without the immobiliser, it may be an ignition wire problem?

Friend of mine had a similar issue after removing the immobiliser and has fitted a kind of start button, however another friend who I helped with this had no issues same as me

Unfortunately that's where my knowledge ends hope I helped

@Tommy's Hi mate, unfortunately I can't help you as I didn't deal with the SKIM unit, this was the key fob unit with the receiver located behind the dash

Have you tried jumping your starter to see if the jeep actually runs without the immobiliser, it may be an ignition wire problem?

Friend of mine had a similar issue after removing the immobiliser and has fitted a kind of start button, however another friend who I helped with this had no issues same as me

Unfortunately that's where my knowledge ends hope I helped
Cheers Sam, yes it runs fine from the starter. Just can't figure this out. Hopefully Del from may scofield gets back with a simple solution.

Right guys,

Sam, can I clarify what you mean here.

Step 1. Remove immobiliser SKIM
Step 2. Remove old ECU
Step 3. install new ECU

Are you saying you only have a few minutes between step 2 and step 3.

Ken

Right guys,

Step 2. Remove old ECU
Step 3. install new ECU

Ken

The amount of time between removing and installing is not critical....
The only critical part of the exchange is to make sure you remove the immobilizer module before you install the new ECU.
The instrument cluster has a memory too and the amber circle with the key inside (top left corner) may remain on since its last communication with the ECU was there was a immobilizer installed; this may take a while to extinquish ....
IF there is a problem once the new ECU is installed; you will need to ensure the new ECU is from a TJ of the appropriate year and that the SKIM function was not enabled in the new ECU.

Ken, I concur with Charles. I got my TJ going again and the old unit had been removed for a month or two before new one arrived. Remove immobiliser and skim before installing new ECU. I'm in Ireland also ken so if you need assistance just ask.

Right guys,

Hello . Can you tell me what part number you ordered from Flagship one? they have a lot to choose from

Ken, I concur with Charles. I got my TJ going again and the old unit had been removed for a month or two before new one arrived. Remove immobiliser and skim before installing new ECU. I'm in Ireland also ken so if you need assistance just ask.
Hi Tommy,

Do you know what ECU you bought ?
I need one too

Reactions: Wranglerfix
1997’s ecms have VTSS (vehicle theft security system) and we send them out disabled. The security key talks to the skim, which marries itself to the ecm. Remove immobilizer, disconnect battery to drain all power prior to install, plug ecm up and down the road you should go.

Step 2. Remove old ECU
Step 3. install new ECU

Ken
HELP!!! first sorry for hijacking your post , but l have this problem and have removed M/S immobiliser and ECU replaced with ECU from FLAGSHIP and still won't start on the key when key is turned the radio light dims but not the dash lights also the hand brake light comes on , it will start if you cross the starter with screw driver can anyone help please John @ j.how@outlook .com

HELP!!! first sorry for hijacking your post , but l have this problem and have removed M/S immobiliser and ECU replaced with ECU from FLAGSHIP and still won't start on the key when key is turned the radio light dims but not the dash lights also the hand brake light comes on , it will start if you cross the starter with screw driver can anyone help please John @ j.how@outlook .com
If the vehicle starts with a screwdriver it isn’t the immobilizer causing the issue. Have you checked powers, grounds, wiring and starter?

If the vehicle starts with a screwdriver it isn’t the immobilizer causing the issue. Have you checked powers, grounds, wiring and starter?
the jeep hasn't turned a wheel for 7years because of illness so l will check starter and wiring it could be full of muck which earth wire should l look for please.

The ECU I ordered from Flagship One left me in the same situation as you John. Sent it back. You are better ordering with @Wranglerfix. It was a more expensive unit but it arrived quickly and he's a pleasure to deal with. Got my 98 TJ going again and I even might have a few more horses to boot. Hope you get sorted.