'98 Sahara build: "Staying the Course"

I'll get to it, Kiwi. And truth be told, I've never been one to work with someone else on my cars. It's always been kind of an issue with me, for some reason. Not sure if it's a trust issue (my Dad taught me to never have someone else do what you are capable of doing yourself), or if it's because I just enjoy the solitude of working alone on a vehicle. Maybe it's a little of both. But I assure you, the "Retro TJ" (I kinda like that) will see completion!

That reminds me of a story of when I lived in Everett. Do you want to hear it?
I was renting a storage unit with power because I was living in an apartment at the time. I had blown my 3 speed transmission in my 72 Bronco, and being a ford 2 wd and 4wd 3 speed trans were virtually the same but the lenghts of adaptors and transmissions were different, So I would go out and buy 2wd transmissions for cheap and rebuild them for my 4x4.

One day one of my good friends told me he would come over and help me rebuild my transmission if I would go to Ocean shores with him over the weekend. I told him to come down to the shop and had him tear down the spare transmission, while I was yanking mine, and while I was pulling my transmission, he started pounding on a shaft and ended up breaking the case because he missed a bolt. He felt like shit and I was dead in the water because it broke the case that I needed. Since then I always work on my vehicle alone. It is almost zen time for me now.

I usually put on music or a movie in the shop, and get after it. I totally understand where you are coming from.

By the way, the next day I went out and bought another case rebuilt the trans, and did make it to Ocean Shores.

That reminds me of a story of when I lived in Everett. Do you want to hear it?
I was renting a storage unit with power because I was living in an apartment at the time. I had blown my 3 speed transmission in my 72 Bronco, and being a ford 2 wd and 4wd 3 speed trans were virtually the same but the lenghts of adaptors and transmissions were different, So I would go out and buy 2wd transmissions for cheap and rebuild them for my 4x4.

One day one of my good friends told me he would come over and help me rebuild my transmission if I would go to Ocean shores with him over the weekend. I told him to come down to the shop and had him tear down the spare transmission, while I was yanking mine, and while I was pulling my transmission, he started pounding on a shaft and ended up breaking the case because he missed a bolt. He felt like shit and I was dead in the water because it broke the case that I needed. Since then I always work on my vehicle alone. It is almost zen time for me now.

I usually put on music or a movie in the shop, and get after it. I totally understand where you are coming from.

By the way, the next day I went out and bought another case rebuilt the trans, and did make it to Ocean Shores.
That's a perfect example of why I prefer to work alone. I know it's my vehicle, and I know what level of dedication I will give it to ensure the job is done right. I have some well-meaning friends, but I don't want to be pissed off at a buddy because he made a mistake and screwed something up. If I screw it up, I have no one to blame but myself. But a friend? They're trying to help, but the part is damaged, or even destroyed. It's a hard pill to swallow, and I don't want to be grumbling under my breath about how I should've just done it myself. Therefore, it's just easier if I avoid that situation altogether, and do the job solo. And like you say, it's almost a Zen time for me...

That's a perfect example of why I prefer to work alone. I know it's my vehicle, and I know what level of dedication I will give it to ensure the job is done right. I have some well-meaning friends, but I don't want to be pissed off at a buddy because he made a mistake and screwed something up. If I screw it up, I have no one to blame but myself. But a friend? They're trying to help, but the part is damaged, or even destroyed. It's a hard pill to swallow, and I don't want to be grumbling under my breath about how I should've just done it myself. Therefore, it's just easier if I avoid that situation altogether, and do the job solo. And like you say, it's almost a Zen time for me...
We are still friends to this day. It has been over 40 years actually. The only reason why I wasn't upset was I knew he would probably screw something up, but I thought I could fix anything he could do to it. He proved me wrong and shocked me more than I was pissed. I also knew I figured out the maze of Ford RAT, transmissions, so I also knew it wasn't going to be that difficult to find another transmission especially back then. If it happened now, i would probably be pissed because they are getting tougher to find. And not to mention way more expensive.

Reactions: Squatch
Ok ..ok...I wont touch your Jeep... but I can cheer you on from the side-line haha

• Wow
Reactions: Squatch and ac_
We are still friends to this day. It has been over 40 years actually. The only reason why I wasn't upset was I knew he would probably screw something up, but I thought I could fix anything he could do to it. He proved me wrong and shocked me more than I was pissed. I also knew I figured out the maze of Ford RAT, transmissions, so I also knew it wasn't going to be that difficult to find another transmission especially back then. If it happened now, i would probably be pissed because they are getting tougher to find. And not to mention way more expensive.
I was going to mention that most of the vehicles I deal with are either vintage, or orphans, or both. That means the supply of parts isn't as plentiful as your typical Chebby. Ever try locating parts for a Rambler aluminum block 196 cid six cylinder? Not so easy. It's just another reason why I fly solo. No one ever means to mess something up, but that doesn't change the fact that now you're out the part, and have to search for another. (BTW, you're "He proved me wrong" statement cracked me up!) :LOL:

Reactions: ac_
I was going to mention that most of the vehicles I deal with are either vintage, or orphans, or both. That means the supply of parts isn't as plentiful as your typical Chebby. Ever try locating parts for a Rambler aluminum block 196 cid six cylinder? Not so easy. It's just another reason why I fly solo. No one ever means to mess something up, but that doesn't change the fact that now you're out the part, and have to search for another. (BTW, you're "He proved me wrong" statement cracked me up!) :LOL:

I will admit when I am wrong, well the one time when I was!

Actually it was pretty bad this time. School closures and cars stuck all over the place and tons of wrecks. It dumped for 2 days straight pretty heavily. I’ve said this before, we get heavy snow maybe 3-5 times a year and other then that it’s 0-6 inches maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: lowranger
Me too, but I am going for the camaraderie, and to play. You could just come down to hang out?
Where I need to hang out is in the garage. The wife said to me last week "I really look forward to driving your Jeep. Hint, hint..." ;) Seriously, it sounds like it would be a blast, but I'm looking at taking a couple/three weeks off again when the weather warms up, and the time will be spent in the garage. And yes, I know it's a deja vu situation. You guys are gonna start doubting I even own a TJ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: ac_