'98 Sahara build: "Staying the Course"

Squatch you have the encouragement of everyone I can think of on this form to get that Jeep going. Good luck on completion of project , your day is coming
Thanks, man. It'll happen. I'm sure of it. This was never supposed to be what it's become. When originally acquired, it was a simple "replace the rear axle, and bolt on upgrades" kind of project. Ha! Little did I know what I had just signed up for! But, the enthusiasm is returning, thanks to the new tub. I'm really looking forward to moving forward! ;)

Thanks, man. It'll happen. I'm sure of it. This was never supposed to be what it's become. When originally acquired, it was a simple "replace the rear axle, and bolt on upgrades" kind of project. Ha! Little did I know what I had just signed up for! But, the enthusiasm is returning, thanks to the new tub. I'm really looking forward to moving forward! ;)
Hey buddy! I just had to poke my head in here to see the 'progress'...sorry that the rust was more than you thought. It looks like you have a new inspiration to get going again...what's wrong with yellow? :oops:

Hey buddy! I just had to poke my head in here to see the 'progress'...sorry that the rust was more than you thought. It looks like you have a new inspiration to get going again...what's wrong with yellow? :oops:
Hey there, Chief! Good to hear from ya!

Yeah, the rust factor was really starting to weigh heavy on me, but this new tub...oh, man, am I excited about that! Can't wait to get back into it. Torn between spending the time painting it before the swap, or just doing the firewall/cowl in black, and then doing the swap, worrying about a final color afterward. I just don't want anything to slow me down, or get in the way. I'll figure it out here, pretty quick. As for the yellow, I don't really have anything against it, per se, but I'm just not terribly excited about it. But who knows...the wife seems to really like it, and wives have been known to be heavily influential in all manner of things. Just saying... ;)

Last edited:
I had a yellow 1974 CJ-5 that I bought in 1976 and liked it. Had it for 13 years.
If I were to stick with a yellow as my color of choice, I'd probably elect to go with a very light yellow...almost "creamed corn", if you will. Something like this:
kkdgYmEoKIIAXcRyvsqxv06QJtGgr4OT6geR3yw36Xzbv68nKY.jpg

Amber Fire Pearlcoat was always one of my favorite TJ colors. More of a copper color
View attachment 248660
I had a dear friend who owned one in that color. A beautiful rig, with under 100,000 miles on it. She had moved to Arizona, and found herself in a financial bind, so she advertised it on Craigslist...for $3,500! The first guy that showed up (within an hour of the ad coming out) bought it without hesitation. She told me it was at that moment that she knew she had made a huge mistake on "guessing" the value of her Jeep. Ya think? 😖

If you like the classic looks, don't write off leaving it yellow. @Nickgsjeep is bright, canary yellow with the spice top and interior and it is SHARP. Check out his thread for ideas. I'm not much of a yellow jeep fan, but his just looks right. I think that it would look great with the retro-theme your going for. AND bonus, you don't have to paint (and worry about fitting a respirator around that big scruffy beard ;) )

• Haha
Reactions: Squatch
This was never supposed to be what it's become. When originally acquired, it was a simple "replace the rear axle, and bolt on upgrades" kind of project.
I know this story well! Maybe you're just the type that likes a challenge. That's what I tell myself all the time! :)

• Haha
Reactions: Squatch
Hey there, Chief! Good to hear from ya!

Yeah, the rust factor was really starting to way heavy on me, but this new tub...oh, man, am I excited about that! Can't wait to get back into it. Torn between spending the time painting it before the swap, or just doing the firewall/cowl in black, and then doing the swap, worrying about a final color afterward. I just don't want anything to slow me down, or get in the way. I'll figure it out here, pretty quick. As for the yellow, I don't really have anything against it, per se, but I'm just not terribly excited about it. But who knows...the wife seems to really like it, and wives have been known to be heavily influential in all manner of things. Just saying... ;)
It's definitely a big decision on the paint issue. Now would be the perfect time to get it exactly the color you want, with nothing in the way...you could apply bedliner to the interior, and just change the color on the exterior & firewall...just a thought.

Last edited: