'98 Sahara build: "Staying the Course"

So, I thought this was interesting. Quadratec has the Mopar Rock Crawler front bumper down to $612. The guy who I was originally going to have build me a Currie V-bumper "copy" (no time to do so, however) said he'd get me the Mopar bumper at his cost using his business account with Q-tec. Nice! So what is his cost? $698!!! WTF? When I told him what Q-tec was advertising them for, he's was both floored and puzzled. Anyways, I just thought it was strange. No real value in this post. Just sharing. ;)
Thanks for sharing......:)

Reactions: Squatch
So, now that I have a welder, my imagination is running amuck, and I've been contemplating building something just a little bit different for a front bumper (as-in, building it myself). I was thinking of starting with this, and bobbing it to a more appropriate length. It would have to be modified in such a way that a winch plate could be added, but I think it'd be doable. Here's the bumper I'd start with:
1956_Studebaker_2E_series_Pickup.jpg

Nice curve to it (like the Jeepster, until they went to the bullnose), and the upper and lower ribs would be a unique touch. Either bob it, or remove the center section to bring it in to the width I wanted. Powder coat it a gunmetal gray, maybe. What do ya think? Am I twisted? I already have my Studebaker buddy on the hunt for me. He belongs to a Stude club, so he's my best chance. I used to own a '52, by the way. Love the cabs of those trucks. Very car-like!

Last edited:
I like it a lot! I am partial to a smaller leaner bumper. And as much as it drives me up a wall when Dave wants to build/make everything himself(without a decent welder at home); I do like seeing vehicles /Jeeps with unique one of a kind components. And a cool story to share on where It came from and how you built it. I’m not sure on the gunmetal gray color. Would need to see it and how it compares to the color of the fenders

I like it a lot! I am partial to a smaller leaner bumper. And as much as it drives me up a wall when Dave wants to build/make everything himself(without a decent welder at home); I do like seeing vehicles /Jeeps with unique one of a kind components. And a cool story to share on where It came from and how you built it. I’m not sure on the gunmetal gray color. Would need to see it and how it compares to the color of the fenders
Even I'm not sure on the gunmetal gray. I mostly said it to throw everybody off of what I'm really thinking! ;) LOL Thanks for the input, @Kathy. I wasn't too sure I'd get anything even semi-positive on this idea!

Last edited:
Sometimes just fiddling around with metal can be fun. Lack of funds will feed the fire too. That happened to me when I slightly modified my stock front bumper. I had more time than coin, and a welder at work.

P1020789.JPG

Reactions: JMT and Squatch
Sometimes just fiddling around with metal can be fun. Lack of funds will feed the fire too. That happened to me when I slightly modified my stock front bumper. I had more time than coin, and a welder at work.
I can definitely understand that line of reasoning. It's a combo of that, and the fact that I just really want something a little different. The Currie V-bumper was that, but just doesn't appear to be happening. Besides, if I really want to be different, what better way than to try my hand at building my own? Worst that can happen is I end up with some scrap metal and a new Dirtworx bumper! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
So, just wanted to share that this forum is a life-changing thing for me. The Squatch, who has never been involved with a forum before, is on this forum so much that my wife thinks I may have a problem. Also, thanks in no small part to this forum and its vast number of enablers...I mean, members...I have spent more money in two months on this TJ than I will typically spend on a car over the course of two years. But the biggest change yet is (I can't believe I'm admitting to this...) that because I want to be able to capture my journey on this build with pictures and share them here on the forum, the Squatch...Mr. Low-tech/No-tech...went out and bought an iPhone.

I feel so dirty... :naughty2:

Last edited:
So, just wanted to share that this forum is a life-changing thing for me. The Squatch, who has never been involved with a forum before, is on this forum so much that my wife thinks I may have a problem. Also, thanks in no small part to this forum and its vast number of enablers...I mean, members...I have spent more money in two months on this TJ than I will typically spend on a car over the course of two years. But the biggest change yet is (I can't believe I'm admitting to this...) that because I want to be able to capture my journey on this build with pictures and share them here on the forum, the Squatch...Mr. Low-tech/No-tech...went out and bought an iPhone.

I feel so dirty... :naughty2:
It only gets better Squatch!

Mine is an iPhone 6. Still far more than I ever cared to own, but like I said, picture documentation...
I both bless and curse this phone. Wish I didn’t have to have one. Then again, what would I do without it?

I both bless and curse this phone. Wish I didn’t have to have one. Then again, what would I do without it?
My family was so excited for me that I got a smart phone. Eh. I shut it off and went about my business. My old flip phone took lousy pictures, and was generally failing more than it was working as a phone. I first started looking for another flip phone, but Sprint doesn't have 'em anymore, hence this purchase. I feel like such a sellout.

Why do you need the door surrounds? They only reason you would need them is if you want to run the uppers with the top off.
Update: The guy I bought my TJ from found the original door surrounds in his storage unit, so I won't have to buy another set. Great way to start the day!

I went from a flip phone about 3 years ago to an IPhone 3S (hand me down from my sister) haha...then end of last year she upgraded again so I'm now running an iPhone 4...still old as the hills in phone terms but suits me for my needs.....my kids and my parents have much better phones than me and its always a topic of discussion when we are around family.haha
Great news on getting the door surrounds...Karma can be great at times hehe